Guns Made In MT Exempt From Federal Regulation. (Merged X 2)

This is a discussion on Guns Made In MT Exempt From Federal Regulation. (Merged X 2) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is great!!! All this really does is tell the Federal Government to watch out, the people are getting fed up!!! Wish my State had ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guns Made In MT Exempt From Federal Regulation. (Merged X 2)

This is great!!!

All this really does is tell the Federal Government to watch out, the people are getting fed up!!!

Wish my State had the guts to do this also!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Lets see what the Gov' does. You can bet someone is offering him an appointment to some federal position of he vetos the bill. Or maybe promissing him some federal funds for the state in earmark projects. The Gov' will say he veto'd the bill because Montana couldn't afford the legal battle or some crap.

Sorry to be the glass is half full guy. I hope it passes because it will be a first step in dismanteling a lot of unnecessary federal control.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    Are there any major gun makers or ammunition makers in Montana? It always struck me as odd that a lot of gun factories are in the no-gun state of Massachusetts.
    Yeah, me too. Some are also in NY. Whatt's up with that?
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Good idea, but I wonder if it will get any play. In Wickard v. Filburn it was ruled to be interstate commerce when a man grew wheat on his own property and kept it for his own use, so who knows? Of course this case is readily distiguishable, I'm just pointing out the legths that the court has went to in the past.

The Rehnquist court did move more toward a states rights view than it was back when Wickard was decided. Especially in the area of gun control in United States v. Lopez, intitially striking down the Gun Free School Zones Act.

It would seem that if Lopez is followed in spirit, this thing could pass muster. I'm sure that is what the proponents have in mind.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, me too. Some are also in NY. Whatt's up with that?
    They weren't always the bastions of liberalism that they are now.

Massachusetts forgot that they first fired the shots of the Revolution at the Brit Troops that were there to seize their armories.

New York also forgot their part in history and and a few mobsters in NYC decided that they knew what was better for everyone else...and they couldn't have an armed population defending themselves from their henchmen and enforcers.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Lets see what the Gov' does. You can bet someone is offering him an appointment to some federal position of he vetos the bill. Or maybe promissing him some federal funds for the state in earmark projects. The Gov' will say he veto'd the bill because Montana couldn't afford the legal battle or some crap.

Sorry to be the glass is half full guy. I hope it passes because it will be a first step in dismanteling a lot of unnecessary federal control.
    Governor Schweitzer already turned down an appointment in the Obama administration. He's pro-gun and pro state's rights. He signed the law in 2007 exempting Montana from the Federal Real ID Act MCA 61-5-128.

I feel certain he'll sign this bill.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Good idea, but I wonder if it will get any play. In Wickard v. Filburn it was ruled to be interstate commerce when a man grew wheat on his own property and kept it for his own use, so who knows? Of course this case is readily distiguishable, I'm just pointing out the legths that the court has went to in the past.

The Rehnquist court did move more toward a states rights view than it was back when Wickard was decided. Especially in the area of gun control in United States v. Lopez, intitially striking down the Gun Free School Zones Act.

It would seem that if Lopez is followed in spirit, this thing could pass muster. I'm sure that is what the proponents have in mind.
    I was thinking this same thing. Courts will overreach and claim that anything can be considered interstate comerce if it is portable.

Michael

Any further word on this bill?

Brian

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    Any further word on this bill?

Brian
    It was transmitted to Governor Schweitzer for his signature on 8 April.

His office has not announced anything yet. They always issue press releases when he signs legislation.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Governor Schweitzer has signed this bill into law. Read the article here

This is good news!!!

Longbow
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Gov signs Made in Montana Guns & Ammo

Gary Marbut Montana Shooting Sports Association numerous visits, proactive MSSA members (e-mails and phone calls), and the supporting Senators and Rep's in Helena made this happen ! Great Job !

----- Original Message -----
    To: <mssa@mtssa.org>
    Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:27 PM
    Subject: FLASH - Good News - Gov signs HB 246

> Dear MSSA Friends,
    >
    > GOOD NEWS! Governor Schweitzer signed HB 246, MSSA's Montana-made guns bill, today. HB 246 declares that any guns and ammunition made and retained in Montana are not subject to ANY federal regulation under the authority of Congress to regulate commerce "among the states."
    >
    > HB 246 will become effective on October 1, 2009. MSSA is beginning now to plan our legal strategy for vetting the legal principles involved. Soon after October 1st, MSSA will determine if it is necessary to file a lawsuit in federal court to prove the principles established in HB 246. If we do need to file this lawsuit (probably will), MSSA will need to do some serious fundraising to defray the expenses involved.
    >
    > Meanwhile, we firmly recommend that no Montanans begin making the proposed Montana-made guns until we are able to vet the legal principles. We do not want any Montanan to become subject to possible federal criminal charges until the legal issues associated with HB 246 are resolved.
    >
    > We are ready now to accept any donations for this project. Remember, MSSA is not a tax-exempt entity - we've never sought that status because of the political limitations on tax exempt organizations. So, any donation you may care to make for this effort is NOT tax deductible. If you care to make a donation to MSSA for this purpose, you can make a check payable to MSSA and mail it to MSSA at P.O. Box 4924. Missoula, Montana 59808. In the memo portion of your check, write "Montana-made guns." Thanks!
    >
    > Our hearty thanks go out to valiant HB 246 sponsor Rep. Joel Boniek (R-Livingston). Joel is a real hero for having carried this bill and having done it so well. This result is especially complimentary to Joel because he is a freshman legislator. He had a steep learning curve going into this session with no prior legislative experience.
    >
    > We also thank those many Montana legislators who supported HB 246 during the legislative process, and we thank Governor Schweitzer both for demonstrating the right Montana attitude by signing HB 246, and for doing what he said he'd do on his 2008 MSSA Candidate Questionnaire.
    >
    > Finally, thanks to ALL of you for having supported HB 246 with messages to legislators. We couldn't have done it without you!!!
    >
    > Best wishes,
    >
    > Gary Marbut, president
    > Montana Shooting Sports Association
    > Montana Shooting Sports Association
    > author, Gun Laws of Montana
    > Gun Laws of Montana

DUDE! That's amazing! YEA FOR STATES RIGHTS!!... We'll see what the title of the next chapter in this story ends up being.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Awe poop, think it's already running here:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...egulation.html

3 pages of commentary so far...

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Congrats Mt, I wonder if Florida might try that too. We already have two firearms makers here.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

The 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution says MT can do it. There are I think 13 or 14 other states right now siting the 10th for States' Rights. Basically, the gubment has no say in the day to day dealings of the individual states, unless the dealings cross state lines. If gun and ammo manufactures decide to make their home in MT, and the guns and ammo stay in MT, then the feds have no jurisdiction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links