I agree with this anti-gun group

This is a discussion on I agree with this anti-gun group within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got an email from the Va. Center for Public Safety. I have bolded the relevant part below. I've always had a little problem with laws ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I agree with this anti-gun group

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Got an email from the Va. Center for Public Safety. I have bolded the relevant part below.

I've always had a little problem with laws that exempt law enforcement officers when they don't have a compelling reason.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Supporters,

The following bills from the 2009 General Assembly session, which will result in a decrease in the public's safety, were vetoed by Governor Kaine:

HB1851: Would eliminate the one gun per month purchase limit for active duty military. (There is no need for military to buy more guns than other citizens)

HB2528: Would add administrative expense and red tape for local police conducting gun turn-in programs. It would eliminate these local programs that get unwanted guns out of homes that do not want them.

SB1528: Would allow online courses to satisfy requirement for competency with concealed weapons; This is opposed by VSP and opens the door for anyone to carry a secret weapon with no knowledge of law or practical experience with firearms.

SB1035: Would allow concealed weapons in bars: Opposed by ABC officers and most people who know that guns and alcohol do not mix.

SB877: Would allow retired law enforcement officers to carry concealed weapons into bars. (There is no need for this policy. These citizens should comply with laws for all citizens)

In the reconvened session on Wednesday April 8, the Senators and Delegates will have an opportunity to vote for or against the Governor's vetoes.

Please IMMEDIATELY contact the following Senators and respectfully request that they vote to SUSTAIN the vetoes on these bills:

Senator George L. Barker Phone: (804) 698-7539

district39@senate.virginia.gov
    Senator Harry B. Blevins Phone: (804) 698-7514

district14@senate.virginia.gov
    Senator Charles J. Colgan

Phone: (804) 698-7529

district29@senate.virginia.gov
    Senator R. Creigh Deeds

Phone: (804) 698-7525

district25@senate.virginia.gov
    Senator John S. Edwards

Phone: (804) 698-7521

district21@senate.virginia.gov
    Senator Mark R. Herring

Phone: (804) 698-7533

district33@senate.virginia.gov
    Senator L. Louise Lucas

Phone: (804) 698-7518

district18@senate.virginia.gov
    Senator John C. Miller

Phone: (804) 698-7501

district01@senate.virginia.gov
    Senator Thomas K. Norment, Jr.

Phone: (804) 698-7503

district03@senate.virginia.gov
    Senator Ralph S. Northam

Phone: (804) 698-7506

district06@senate.virginia.gov
    Senator Chap Petersen

Phone: (804) 698-7534

district34@senate.virginia.gov
    Senator Frederick M. Quayle

Phone: (804) 698-7513

district13@senate.virginia.gov
    Senator Kenneth W. Stolle

Phone: (804) 698-7508

district08@senate.virginia.gov
    Senator John Watkins

Phone: (804) 698-7510

district10@senate.virginia.gov

You may call your delegate too, but we know that your time is limited and a call to the Senators listed may be all that is needed.

Thank you, in the interest of public safety!

Kaye Tice, President
    Alice Mountjoy, Government Relations Coordinator

The Virginia Center for Public Safety
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Paramedic, afraid I'll have to disagree with you on this one. Allowing retired LEO to carry is one more step in the right direction.
    This group is not going to be content until they remove everyone's right to carry.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

VIP Member
    Gun control philosophy = small bites are better than big bites. It's easier for them to stuff down the throats of the rest of the sheep.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

They are saying that If retired Leo can't be trusted to carry in bars then there is no way in heck Jo Smo will be trusted
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

First off any type of gun control is against the second amendment. With that said, people want their cake and eat it too. Some do not want guns in bars at all. Too take this position say that you are OK with some types of gun control. To let the state control where you can and can not carry. That is not a good thing. Have some faith in people. If someone does mess up then they will pay for it and I do not just mean money.

You may be sorry if you get what you ask for. It will only serve to strengthen the anti's argument about civilians carrying.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    I agree that any gun control is bad, it's just giving up your rights a little at a time.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I kinda see where you are coming from...if you are retired, why should you get more rights than other citizens. I don't like "gun control" either, but at the same time I don't like giving one group more rights than another.

Better solution would be to allow all people to carry anywhere!!!
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    I kinda see where you are coming from...if you are retired, why should you get more rights than other citizens. I don't like "gun control" either, but at the same time I don't like giving one group more rights than another.

+ 1.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Sponsor
    BamaSteve said:
    I agree 1000 o/o!!!

VIP Member
    I have to agree with Paramedic. Retired LEO are exactly that, retired. They are no different than any other Joe Blow on the street now. They should have to follow the same laws as everyone else. No "special" privileges because of their retired status.
    As retired military it gives me no special status on base. I am required to follow the same rules as everyone else does.

VIP Member
    Yeah, because 20+ years of carrying a weapon responsibly, under strict scrutiny by the public, the media, and the gub'mint, is NO indicator of your ability to continue to carry a weapon responsibly... Why give THOSE people any benefit of the doubt...

Yawn, yet again.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Yeah, because 20+ years of carrying a weapon responsibly, under strict scrutiny by the public, the media, and the gub'mint, is NO indicator of your ability to continue to carry a weapon responsibly... Why give THOSE people any benefit of the doubt...

Yawn, yet again.
    I'm not talking about their ABILITY to responsibly carry a weapon, I have little doubt there. The point is the law is supposed to be blind, it's not supposed to say that you deserve to protect your life more than me because of the retired LEO status.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

VIP Member
    So, rather than put a crack in the law that is PRO 2A, you'd rather cut off the CCW nose to spite the LEO's face? Reasonable...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Totally disagree that retired LEOs are no different than any other Joe Blow. Police Officers potentially put their life on the line everyday. Every vehicle stop or domestic dispute could end in them being seriously wounded or dead. When's the last time any other Joe Blow is in this situation on a regular basis? Regardless of this, being a LEO makes you a lot more enemies than a normal job and those enemies are very often repeat felons. Don't you think that this potential threat to them entitles them to some perks? Being retired military may mean you have been in harms way or maybe not depending on you job, your rank and you location. I don't know how many soldiers who served in Iraq or Afghanistan are worried about an enemy combatant attacking them in the US. And Yes, I think our troops should also be treated better than the average Joe Blow.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links