Tennessee House passes bill to allow guns where alcohol is served - Page 2

Tennessee House passes bill to allow guns where alcohol is served

This is a discussion on Tennessee House passes bill to allow guns where alcohol is served within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by waynesan Alll the prominent anti-gun proponents (including Naifeh) get to voice their opposition and you will not believe some of the insane ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee House passes bill to allow guns where alcohol is served

Quote Originally Posted by waynesan View Post
    Alll the prominent anti-gun proponents (including Naifeh) get to voice their opposition and you will not believe some of the insane objections they put forth.
    From Rep. Hardaway (D-Memphis):
    • Require restaurants to hire armed guards to protect patrons if they allow firearms.
    • Establish a fund to pay injured bystanders (He says that police have 10%-30% accuracy and that a handgun permit holder cannot do any better).
    • Requires establishments to card every person entering for the purpose of verifying their ages.
    • "This amendment speaks to the one day of the week when we should all be thinking about something other than firearms, whether its for defense or for offense." Would not allow people to carry in restaurants on Sundays (so families "don't have to worry about a shootout in their favorite restaurant").
    • Makes carrying a firearm in a restaurant while drinking a Class A felony. (He even says there have never been any violations of this law, but because more people have permits, people will start drinking and carrying).

Rep. Miller (D-Memphis):
    LEOs will conduct random searches of patrons between 11pm and 5am to determine if they are unlawfully carrying a firearm. Must be done 6 times per year at each establishment.

Rep. Naifeh (D-Covington) wants restaurants to post that they serve carry permit holders. Wants handguns to be checked with the barman after 11pm. Says that most sheriffs and chiefs of police are against the bill. Says the restaurant association doesn't like the bill.

Rep. Johnson (R-Pegram) said that the criminals are already carrying and drinking, so let the law abiding citizens protect themselves.

Rep Miller says that this bill implies that handgun carry permit holders will think that they are taking on the duties of law enforcement. Says that this bill is not the end; it's only the beginning (Let's hope he's right here!). Says that people who used to get drunk and leave in a car will now be drunk and leaving with a weapon and that "we'll be giving them everything they want now."

Rep Cobb (R-Spring City) doesn't support the bill because people will be drinking at restaurants, and in their drunken state will steal firearms from sober permit holders.

Rep. Moore (D-Joelton) says that he's a fireman/emt and has never responded to someone being shot by a permit holder. Says that if people drink and carry, they are already breaking the law. Says that handgun permit holders are not required to act as LEOs.

Rep. Watson (R-Watson) says that no sheriff spoke against the bill in committee (they were present) and that his sheriff doesn't oppose it. Says that he's made hundreds of arrests, none of them involving a handgun permit holder. Told a story about a state trooper that was attacked by 2 people when he discovered dope on a third person. A handgun permit holder pulled over and saved him.

Rep. Bell (R-Riceville) says that this bill is more strict than most states [who allow persons to drink and carry]. Says that people being able to drink and carry hasn't been a problem in other states, and this bill doesn't even allow them to drink.

Rep. Favors (D-Chattanooga) says that a "restaurant is a place where you would go with your family expecting to not have to be concerned about someone CARRYING PISTOLS! (her emphasis, not mine). Says that we will be very sorry if we pass this bill. Talks about a family member carrying his shotgun down the street (Note: Rep behind her is clearly confused why she is bringing up shotgun in a handgun law).

Rep. Hardaway says that the typical permit holder will be less accurate than police officers. His logic is that if permit holders were more accurate than police officers, then police officers wouldn't be required to go through handgun training. (I kid you not. See 1.28.00 in the video)

When Rep. Favors objected to this bill on the grounds that so many permit holders are living longer now and coming down with Alzheimer's and other mental diseases and should not be allowed to carry I thought I would hit the floor.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Just to be clear in my own mind, if passed and signed, you can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol UNLESS it is between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. Is that correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by waynesan View Post
    That's right. And if you are eating in a restaurant and the clock strikes 11:00 you are legally required to get out of the restaurant. If you put your gun in your car you can come back in and finish your meal. But between 11pm and 5am, no guns.
    Also, the permit holder cannot consume an alcoholic beverage while in the establishment, AND the business can still post a "no firearms allowed" sign that is substantially similar to the wording in Tennessee Code Annotated 39-17-1359:

PURSUANT TO 39-17-1359, THE OWNER/OPERATOR OF THIS PROPERTY HAS BANNED WEAPONS ON THIS PROPERTY, OR WITHIN THIS BUILDING OR THIS PORTION OF THIS BUILDING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THIS PROHIBITION IS PUNISHABLE AS A CRIMINAL ACT UNDER STATE LAW AND MAY SUBJECT THE VIOLATOR TO A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($500).
    If the establishment does that, no legal firearms. To my knowledge, no court in Tennessee has defined exactly what "substantially similar" means in the above context.

Here is a link to TCA: Legal Resources
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Fingers crossed

I am embarrassed that my state is so backward compared to Tennessee.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Hopefully, this will make our trip north this summer a bit nicer...

Stay armed...go TN...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Overtaker View Post
    [*]Require restaurants to hire armed guards to protect patrons if they allow firearms.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSig View Post
    The Armed Guard Amendment is the only one that I would have no problem with if passed, but then I have a conflict of interest. I'm a licensed Armed Guard in Tennessee. I like more and higher paying jobs.

There definately would not be enough off duty police stealing all the armed guard jobs if that amendment passed.

For the record, I prefer there to be a clean bill. Just stating that if we had to have one of those amendments, this would be the one I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock30Owner View Post
    The Armed Guard Amendment is the only one that I would have no problem with if passed, but then I have a conflict of interest. I'm a licensed Armed Guard in Tennessee. I like more and higher paying jobs.
    That would make it lots tougher on smaller privately owned restaurants by forcing them to either turn away a portion of their clientele by not allowing CCW OR by forcing them to pay the extra money to hire Guards.

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

Senior Moderator
    If it can be shown that a bill will cause significant cost to the TN budget or anyone else, it has a less chance of being passed. I think that's one approach the anti-2A legislators are trying to use to defeat any pro-gun bills.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

That's not stopping them ('them' being the lefties in general) from introducing the Ammo Encoding Bill... but I digress.

I'd rather see the law written to require armed guards if they prohibit lawful HCP holders from carrying
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

That's not stopping them ('them' being the lefties in general) from introducing the Ammo Encoding Bill... but I digress.
    Has this been introduced in Tennessee?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaker View Post
    Has this been introduced in Tennessee?
    It has been introduced the last few sessions by one of our legislators from Memphis; I don't recall if it was introduced this session or not. It dies in committee every year (at least it has up to this point).
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Today the Tennessee Senate Judiciary Committee passed SB1127 which is the Senate version of HB0962 to allow carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. The Senate version does not contain the 11:00p.m. curfew nor the age restricted venues that was in the House version.
    Now the House will have to vote whether to accept the Senate version or come to some kind of compromise.
    Things are definately looking better for Tennessee.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links