Tennessee House passes bill to allow guns where alcohol is served

This is a discussion on Tennessee House passes bill to allow guns where alcohol is served within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tennessee House finally passes bill to allow carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. Things are really looking up. Tennessee House passes bill to allow guns ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tennessee House finally passes bill to allow carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. Things are really looking up.
    Tennessee House passes bill to allow guns where alcohol is served - Kingsport Times-News Online
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

I heard this on the way home from work tonight and I yelled "YES!" out loud!

What a shock to all of us in Tennessee that this bill has passed the Senate for the last several years with no problem but then some how dies in committee never to see the House floor but, now that Jimmy Naifeh is no longer Speaker of the House it makes it to the floor and passes easily! Thank the good Lord that Naifeh is no longer Speaker. I thought I'd never see this day.

I look forward to being able to go to a nice restaurant right here in Tennessee and not have to disarm to sit down to dinner.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Tennessee is a fine state for gun rights...now we need to be able to carry everywhere else. It's stupid that we can't. It's not like we're transformed into criminals just in certain places.
    I can understand not carrying in a Courthouse, I feel relatively safe there because of the metal detectors and so many cops. I did have to go to 201 Poplar recently to take care of a ticket and the people in the vicinity weren't exactly socialites....I would have preferred to be armed . I'm going to make sure to thank my Reps that voted the right way.
    Naifeh is a chump, I won't spend a penny at his families business

Has this passed both now, if so when does it take effect? Im going to TN middle of next week, hopefully, it takes effect immediately

Edit: Sorry just read the article, I see the senate is to vote on it Wed.(I should have read article before posting, sorry)

Quote Originally Posted by RobR369 View Post
    Has this passed both now, if so when does it take effect? Im going to TN middle of next week, hopefully, it takes effect immediately

Edit: Sorry just read the article, I see the senate is to vote on it Wed.(I should have read article before posting, sorry)
    and after that it will have to be signed by the governor, which I think can take up to 10 days
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

so is it true tennesee is known as the gun state

VIP Member
    As someone who passes through Tennessee frequently this is great news, now if we could just get our states legislature to enact the same laws (not likely with Princess perdue).
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    and after that it will have to be signed by the governor, which I think can take up to 10 days
    That is the problem. Our Gov has not said if he will sign this into law or not and we may not have the votes to override a veto. So this may not be a done deal yet.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

"The companion bill is scheduled for a vote in the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday. Democratic Gov. Phil Bredesen has declined to say whether he would sign the bill into law.

The bill would still ban handguns at any establishment that enforces age restrictions, and would maintain current rules that prohibit alcohol consumption by anyone carrying a gun.

The proposal would create a curfew for handguns being carried between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. The House on a 72-17 vote rejected an attempt by Rep. Brian Kelsey, a Germantown Republican, to remove any time limits."

So am I reading this correctly? Would that mean that you couldn't carry in a restaurant between 11pm and 5am? I mean, it's better than nothing but its still asinine.

DON'T GET ME WRONG. I'm stoked about this going as far as it has and I continue to pray that it gets signed into law.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

If you have a little over an hour to kill you can go to this website:
    House Session Monday
    and watch the debate that went on yesterday concerning Restaurant Carry where alcohol is served.

After clicking on the link above, wait until the video screen from the House downloads. The video should start where the debate on the bill is being discussed. If not, underneath the video screen there will be a list of all the bills considered yesterday. Scroll down (about 2/3 the way down) until you come to HB0962 and click on it.

The debate starts at 26:40 on the clock and ends at 01:32 so its an hour and six minutes long.

Alll the prominent anti-gun proponents (including Naifeh) get to voice their opposition and you will not believe some of the insane objections they put forth.

So am I reading this correctly? Would that mean that you couldn't carry in a restaurant between 11pm and 5am? I mean, it's better than nothing but its still asinine.
    Yes. You are reading correctly. One of the concessions to get it out of committee. Hopefully that can be removed in the Senate next week or at some time in the future. But that is a battle for another day. Lets take what we've got and run with it.

The proposal would create a curfew for handguns being carried between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. The House on a 72-17 vote rejected an attempt by Rep. Brian Kelsey, a Germantown Republican, to remove any time limits."

So am I reading this correctly? Would that mean that you couldn't carry in a restaurant between 11pm and 5am?
    Just to be clear in my own mind, if passed and signed, you can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol UNLESS it is between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. Is that correct?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

That's right. And if you are eating in a restaurant and the clock strikes 11:00 you are legally required to get out of the restaurant. If you put your gun in your car you can come back in and finish your meal. But between 11pm and 5am, no guns.

Senior Moderator
    But, it would be accurate to say, this is not law yet, so don't be carrying in resturants that serve alcohol in TN - correct?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    But, it would be accurate to say, this is not law yet, so don't be carrying in resturants that serve alcohol in TN - correct?
    Correct. Hasn't been signed into law yet.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links