Possible new rules for Amtrak soon

This is a discussion on Possible new rules for Amtrak soon within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by paramedic70002 That's funny right there. IANAL but how is there a legal precedent for holding me to a law in DC if ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible new rules for Amtrak soon

VIP Member

Think about it this way

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    That's funny right there. IANAL but how is there a legal precedent for holding me to a law in DC if I violate it between Virginia and Florida? This stinky stuff does not pass the sniff test for me.
    Think about it this way. There are lots and lots of things you enter into agreements under, everything from mortgages to internet service, to car rental agreements, which have clauses in the agreements that disputes will be settled under the laws of Delaware for example,, but other places depending on where the company is operating.

When you buy your ticket you are effectively agreeing that your passage on the train is covered by the laws in D.C., and also that you will not have a weapon on board. You enter into the contract, and they get to hold you to those terms. Also, the trains are effectively government operations, much like the postal service. It isn't a private company, so uncle gets to make the rules.

It really doesn't help much or achieve much to insist that there is no way this could possibly be true, because it is. So unless you have lots of money and lots of available time, and nerves of steel, your best bet is to stick to the terms of the ticket sale and not attempt to bring a weapon onto the train.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    Yes, Amtrak was against this new proposal too.

Hopefully those who prefer this method of travel will be able to do so.
    Amtrak is probably afraid someone will try to hijack one of their trains to Cuba.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I emailed Amtrak customer service asking what that "Governing Law" section meant. Here is their response:

---------------------
    Thank you for your email.

Our legal department has advised us of the following information.

Customers must abide by the laws of the District of Columbia regardless of where they live or where they’re traveling. If there is a law in DC that isn’t in the customer’s home or travel destination state, for instance, the customer is bound by the DC laws.

We hope this is helpful.

Amtrak Customer Relations
    ------------------

Here is my reply:
    ------------------
    Thank you for your reply to my inquiry. As I have considered using Amtrak for a summer trip, I have a few followup questions to clarify. I must admit, as a former law enforcement officer, I am a bit puzzled by this policy.

1. Could you please tell me if this relates to civil or criminal law, or both?

2. If I violate a "DC only" criminal law, how would this law be enforced, i.e., may I expect to be arrested, summonsed, and/or removed from the train?

3. If arrested or summonsed, who has the authority to arrest me for a DC criminal offense that occurs outside of DC?

4. Would I be taken to DC for prosecution?

5. So that I would not inadvertently run afoul of the law, exactly what laws are in effect in DC that would not exist in my 'origin or destination'?

Thank you for your attention to this matter.
    --------------
    By the way Wedoada, they actually have Amtrak police? Do they get their authority from DC?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Screw Amtrak and the horse they rode in on. As long they don't respect my rights, I'll drive myself or stay home. And the same goes for air travel, or any other public transportation. If they want my dollars, they need to treat me like a customer, not like a convict.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Its not like they check you on amtrak. Im sure its like one of those propaganda deals for political things. They know people carry prohibited items on there trains and dont care cause they would lose alot of buisness. They just put it out there to say they have addresed the matter on paper.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Quote Originally Posted by KenInColo View Post
    Amtrak is probably afraid someone will try to hijack one of their trains to Cuba.
    Or that the train will suffer catastrophic depressurization from a gunshot round.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links