Possible new rules for Amtrak soon

This is a discussion on Possible new rules for Amtrak soon within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is probalby old news to some but I learned about it today while talking to an Amtrak Police Officer: Senate Amendment 798, an amendment ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible new rules for Amtrak soon

Possible new rules for Amtrak soon

This is probalby old news to some but I learned about it today while talking to an Amtrak Police Officer:

Senate Amendment 798, an amendment to the Budget bill, was offered by U.S. Senator Roger Wicker (R-MS) and supported by NRA-ILA. The purpose of the amendment is to ensure that law-abiding Amtrak passengers are allowed to securely transport firearms in their checked baggage. The measure prohibits funds from being appropriated to Amtrak unless firearms are allowed in checked baggage on Amtrak trains. The Senate passed this amendment on Thursday, April 2, by a vote of 63-35.
    This is potentially good news for civilian gun owners !

While my LEO friends/co-workers can currently carry concealed "While on Official Police Business" on Amtrak, I can't currently even take mine on the train in my checked baggage.

This amendment, if it passes the house, would give travelers a choice. As a person with a disability (wheelchair user) Amtrak offers MUCH more accessibility to me, even if it does take longer than flying. Being able to have my firearm once I reach my destination could be yet another benefit to folks like me.

Lets hope for the best !
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" Sen. Jesse Helms

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    That has always bothered me about Amtrak... I'm glad to see this.

This is good news. I enjoy riding the train.

We have considered train travel but declined because of not having my sidearm at the destination. I would be curious as to the security of the checked bags...I was not impressed with bag security the last time we were on a train. (years ago...)
    This may be something to check into...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I've always enjoyed train travel and wish it were more of a realistic option for travel.

I doubt that luggage is secure enough on Amtrak for them to be able to allow weapons in checked luggage; uh, put it differently, I wouldn't want to check my luggage with a weapon in it on Amtrak even if permissible.

What is needed is the right for permit holders to carry on board when in states that honor their permits. What would be better, would be national reciprocity honored along with a right to carry concealed while on board.

I can't think of a single sensible reason why license holders should be forbidden to carry on board. The present Amtrak rules make no sense.

Uh, I also think it is absolutely ridiculous that you need a government issued ID to get on board. Do the idiots at Homeland Security actually think a passenger can hijack a train?

(Much of this is of course quite moot, as the best lines run through DC, Maryland, Jersey, NY, CT, MA, CA, IL. "Checkmate.")

VIP Member
    Hey I got an idea. Instead of having to worry about the guns in checked baggage, how bout allowing people to safely carry in a holster. What a novel idea........
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Wow, i travel on Amtrak quite often and have always carried. I never knew it was not allowed. Even checked for any rules regarding this in there little pamphlet they give you when you board and i never heard anything about it.
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Yeah...the current Amtrak rules for civillians are pretty clear on their website.. absolutely no firearms/ammo...no carry...not in baggage (checked or unchecked)...just plain none.

Even LEO's may only currently carry if they are on Official Police Business.

Obviously it would be nice for them to allow permitted carry but it would be great to at least make some progress. The problem here in the Northeast (as another poster mentioned) is that the train travels through...and stops in....several states that have VERY restrictive carry laws.
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" Sen. Jesse Helms

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wedoada View Post
    Yeah...the current Amtrak rules for civillians are pretty clear on their website.. absolutely no firearms/ammo...no carry...not in baggage (checked or unchecked)...just plain none.

Even LEO's may only currently carry if they are on Official Police Business.
    Can you cite this? I've seen the prohibition against putting it in luggage but not on body.

Perhaps a better law would be to create a special government jurisdiction along the rail line that honors CCWs as long as you stay on the train.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Yes, Amtrak was against this new proposal too.

Hopefully those who prefer this method of travel will be able to do so.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Can you cite this? I've seen the prohibition against putting it in luggage but not on body.

Perhaps a better law would be to create a special government jurisdiction along the rail line that honors CCWs as long as you stay on the train.
    Amtrak - Traveling With Amtrak - Policies - Terms of Transportation

Governing Law

All travel on, and transactions with, Amtrak is governed by the laws of the District of Columbia, United States of America, without regards to its principles of conflicts of law. You agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of any State or Federal court located in the District of Columbia, United States of America, and waive any jurisdictional, venue or inconvenient forum objections to such courts.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

The prohibited items listed on the Amtrak website should be viewed just like the TSA list for airflight. Just because it does not specifically say that you can not carry them on your person doesn't mean that you could carry the item onto the plane on your person. The item is simply prohibited. The difference is that there are not checkpoints and scanners to catch you at Amtrak stations...yet.

I'm the President of our local Police Union and we're planning a trip to DC for National Police Memorial Week and I have spoken Amtrak Police personally concerning firearms. They made it very clear that the ONLY time even a LEO is authorized to have a firearm on Amtrak is if they are a Sworn, active Police Officer AND on Official Business. Even a sworn LEO on vacation with their family would NOT be allowed to have a firearm, carried OR checked in their baggage.

I'm not an attorney--- but until the amendment passes and goes into effect it's probably not a good idea to be carrying a firearm on Amtrak.
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

Amtrak - concealed carry "should be" allowed for any firearm, on person, in pack, or in luggage.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    That's funny right there. IANAL but how is there a legal precedent for holding me to a law in DC if I violate it between Virginia and Florida? This stinky stuff does not pass the sniff test for me.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I really enjoy riding the train (I traveled across the country with Amtrak a few years ago), and I would like to see the rights of gunowners respected on-board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links