PA Governor pushing for AWB...

This is a discussion on PA Governor pushing for AWB... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Article and Link to POLL HERE: Rendell Pushes For Ban On Assault Weapons - Local News Story - WGAL The Susquehanna Valley HARRISBURG, Pa. -- ...

Thread: PA Governor pushing for AWB...

Article and Link to POLL HERE:
    Rendell Pushes For Ban On Assault Weapons - Local News Story - WGAL The Susquehanna Valley

HARRISBURG, Pa. -- Following the shooting deaths of three Pittsburgh police officers, Gov. Ed Rendell is calling for tougher gun laws.

[Gov. Rendell is pushing for the assault weapons ban to be renewed, saying weapons such as these have only one purpose -- to kill.]
    Gov. Rendell is pushing for the assault weapons ban to be renewed, saying weapons such as these have only one purpose -- to kill. More

Rendell has pushed for a ban on assault weapons before; now he's renewing that call.

The use of assault weapons went down after a ban in 1999, but they went up after the ban was lifted in 2004.

SURVEY: Do you support reinstating the ban on assault weapons?

"These weapons have absolutely no purpose but to kill," said Rendell.

Surrounded by police chiefs and mayors from across the state, Rendell called on Congress to renew the ban on assault weapons, the kind used to kill four police officers in California this year and three in Pittsburgh on April 4.

"One thing that was abundantly clear, that has to change," said Pittsburgh's Mayor Luke Ravenstahl.

Rendell also wants lawmakers in Pennsylvania to require gun owners to report lost or stolen weapons, similar to the way people have to report stolen vehicles.

Rendell: Cities Should Impose Own Gun Laws

He wants cities to be able to impose their own gun laws because McKean County, he said, doesn't have the same problem as Philadelphia, York, Harrisburg or Lancaster.

["Itís disheartening to see sportsman groups stand up for people who basically want to use guns in a manner that is detrimental to our society," said Lancaster Mayor Rick Gray.]
    "Itís disheartening to see sportsman groups stand up for people who basically want to use guns in a manner that is detrimental to our society," said Lancaster Mayor Rick Gray.

"Itís disheartening to see sportsman groups stand up for people who basically want to use guns in a manner that is detrimental to our society," said Lancaster Mayor Rick Gray.

SURVEY: Do you support reinstating the ban on assault weapons?

Rendell said 77 percent of people surveyed do not oppose stricter gun laws. He wants lawmakers in Harrisburg and in Washington to listen to their constituents and not the gun lobbyists.

"So, if we truly support our police, we could cast our votes to protect them," said Rendell.

Copyright 2009 by WGAL.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Do you support reinstating the ban on assault weapons?

Yes 298 38%
    No 493 62%

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    No's have gone up a bit more than the yes's.

Yes 310 37%
    No 536 63%

No's up to like 74% now.

Ed needs to read his state constitution:
    Right to Bear Arms
    Section 21.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

A bit more emphatic even than the 2A...
    Still Clingin'

"These weapons have absolutely no purpose but to kill," said Rendell.
    You dont say.... really? oh wow, thats just deep right there. I had no idea.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I really hate his fat carcass. The man has no redeeming qualities.
    - Kurt
    ďFreedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.Ē ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

I heard this today also. I was pretty upset when I found out the cops were killed by this guy. However, he could have used any rifle. Apparently, the 911 operator didn't relay the info about the guy having the weapons so the cops had no idea. I'm sure if they did, they would have approached him differently. It sounds like some police in PA are for the ban because of this situation.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I think America is on its way to saving it's self. Seriously.

Like a giant immune system that has had years of exposure it gets stronger with time.

The democrats should have pushed this hard last time they had control. This generation will secure our liberties once again.

The obama mania will fade and the people will then again regain normality which will, like a white blood cell on a virus, consume and purge the body of sickness.

if the dems fail this time it will be 50-65 years before the dems can even lift a finger of popularity again.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Seriously? So law abiding people want to use guns in a manner detrimental to ours society? Thanks for the compliment, mayor gray.

It seems everyone conveniently forgets the Oakland thug was a convicted felon in possession of a firearm, already illegal; a weapon that is already banned in California. THEY WERE ALREADY BANNED AND YOUR LAWS DID NOTHING!!

Voted...

76%

24%

Hope he's voted out of office...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Let me paraphrase an old saying: "If assault weapons cause crime, then mine must be defective."

Of course, since I don't own anything full auto, then I don't own any assault weapons either.

Oh, and I'm dying to know where this supposed survey that says that 77% of people are in support of another AWB took place at? Berkley perhaps?
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    ....Oh, and I'm dying to know where this supposed survey that says that 77% of people are in support of another AWB took place at? Berkley perhaps?
    I think I missed something. I don't see those statistics anywhere in this thread.

The poll we're talking about is running here:

Rendell Pushes For Ban On Assault Weapons - Local News Story - WGAL The Susquehanna Valley

About two paragraphs down there's a link to it.

Rendell said 77 percent of people surveyed do not oppose stricter gun laws. He wants lawmakers in Harrisburg and in Washington to listen to their constituents and not the gun lobbyists.
    Allow me to clarify: When I first heard this news story on the radio, they said assault weapons and not stricter gun control laws.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Sponsored Links