Defensive Carry banner

Obama Rescinds Campaign Vow On Weapons Ban

2K views 29 replies 27 participants last post by  bandit383 
#1 ·
No that I believe him, but this is being reported.

http://cbs4.com/national/obama.mexico.trip.2.986606.html

Confronting a Mexican drug war that is "sowing chaos in our communities," President Barack Obama signaled Thursday he will not seek renewal of a U.S. assault weapons ban but instead will step up enforcement of laws banning the transfer of such guns across the border.

Obama had pledged during his campaign to seek renewal of the ban but has bowed to the reality that such a move would be unpopular in politically key U.S. states and among Republicans as well as some conservative Democrats.

Obama met with Mexican President Felipe Calderon, who has been conducting an aggressive fight against drug cartels and had hoped to persuade Obama to push for reinstatement of the gun ban. Obama arrived here on the first stop of a trip that will take him to a weekend Summit of the Americas in Trinidad, bringing together the leaders of 34 Western Hemisphere democracies.

#3 ·
So why not just control the borders like 70% of Americans want the US to do!!!!!!!!!! End of problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
oldogy

#4 ·
He flip-flops every day.

His voting record says it all.

If it crawls like a snake, looks like a snake.....it's a snake.

#7 ·
Washington Times

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, California Democrat, announced last week that she wants to register guns. Her next move will be to try to confiscate them.

The speaker picked a television show with a viewership of 4.6 million to float the Democrats' coming gun-control push. Questioned on ABC's "Good Morning America" about the prospect of new gun-control laws now that "it's a Democratic president, a Democratic House," she responded, "We don't want to take their guns away. We want them registered."

Politicians and bureaucrats routinely claim that registration helps solve crimes. If a registered gun is used in a crime and left at the crime scene, registration supposedly lets the police trace the gun back to the criminal. Though this turn of events might work on fictional TV crime shows, it virtually never occurs in real life. Criminals' guns are rarely left at crime scenes. When guns are left behind, it usually is because a crook has been seriously injured or killed and the police are poised to catch him anyway.

The few guns left at crime scenes rarely - if ever - are registered to the perpetrator. If they are registered at all, it is to someone else, whose piece was stolen. Despite what Mrs. Pelosi might think, those who use guns to commit major crimes such as robbing and killing are unlikely to respect her request to file paperwork so the government can catalog the tools of their trade.

Numerous examples disprove gun-control propaganda. Hawaii has had licensing and registration of guns for about 50 years. After all of the administrative expenses and inconvenience imposed on gun owners, police there cannot point to a single crime that has been solved as a result of those programs. Given Hawaii's remote island geography, this should be an ideal place to keep track of guns because movement in and out of the state is limited and legal importation is controlled. If registration is going to work anywhere, it should work there. Unfortunately, criminals seem to be able to get their hands on guns virtually anyplace in the world.

Other jurisdictions with a history of strict handgun bans, such as the District of Columbia and Chicago, have even required registration of hunting rifles and shotguns for more than 20 years. Neither the District nor Chicago can point to any crimes that have been solved using registration records.

The same rules apply across the border. Canada, which has imposed registration of handguns since the 1930s, does not have much to show for it. In 2006, when the Liberal Party under Prime Minister Paul Martin controlled the government, it was admitted in parliamentary debate that just three crimes in 70 years had been solved as a result of registration. A couple of those cases were debatable because other independent evidence helped solve the crimes. According to the Canadian Ministry of Public Safety, just 4 percent of Canadian handgun murders in 2005 and 2006 were committed with registered handguns, and none of those were registered to the people who committed the crimes. As for long-gun registration, at least as of 2006, not a single violent crime had been solved through registration.

Because registration doesn't help solve crime, it is important to ask why government wants to register the people's firearms. History provides the answer. In countries from Australia to England, registration has been used to create lists of guns that later were confiscated by their governments. Despite Mrs. Pelosi's assurances to the contrary, Americans' fear that registration will lead to confiscation is well-founded. Indeed, Mrs. Pelosi's own state of California already has used existing registration lists to confiscate so-called assault weapons just a half-dozen years ago.

The speaker claims registration won't lead to gun confiscation because of the Supreme Court decision in District of Columbia v. Heller, which struck down the District's handgun ban last June. She knows full well that this judgment was based on a narrow 5-4 decision that could be reversed when President Obama gets his opportunity to appoint an additional liberal justice to the court.

A Gallup poll released Wednesday shows that support for gun control is "at an all-time low" since the issue started being surveyed nearly 50 years ago. According to Gallup, just 29 percent favor handgun bans. Now that Democrats are in control of the legislative and executive branches of government, even the will of the people won't keep them from going after the guns of law-abiding Americans.

#8 ·
OK, let do the 'lie check'...:rolleyes:

Was he moving his lips?:yup::yup: He was?:yup::yup:

There you have it, he WAS lying.:yup::yup:

#13 ·
CNN is reporting something different. It says that the prez is for renewing the ban...

who to believe?

Obama, Calderón: Assault-gun ban could curb border violence - CNN.com

Reviving a ban on assault weapons and more strictly enforcing existing gun laws could help tamp down drug violence that has run rampant on the U.S.-Mexican border, President Obama said Thursday.

"We can respect and honor the Second Amendment while dealing with assault weapons," Obama says in Mexico.

Speaking alongside Mexican President Felipe Calderón, Obama said he has "not backed off at all" on a campaign pledge to try to restore the ban. It was instituted under President Clinton and allowed to lapse by President George W. Bush.

"I continue to believe that we can respect and honor the Second Amendment right in our Constitution -- the rights of sportsmen and hunters and homeowners that want to keep their families safe -- to lawfully bear arms, while dealing with assault weapons that, as we know here in Mexico, are used to fuel violence," Obama said.

#15 ·
Well, so far I have not believed a single noise that has emanated from his yap so I see no reason to start now. Time will tell.

Close the borders and let Mexico handle their own problems is a good first step. But I doubt that will be anything at all similar to what happens.

#16 ·
No that I believe him, but this is being reported.

President Barack Obama Visits Mexico As Drug Violence At Border Escalates - cbs4.com

Confronting a Mexican drug war that is "sowing chaos in our communities," President Barack Obama signaled Thursday he will not seek renewal of a U.S. assault weapons ban but instead will step up enforcement of laws banning the transfer of such guns across the border......
There are some serious misquotes in that story! look at the CNN one:

Obama, Calderón: Assault-gun ban could curb border violence - CNN.com

Obama says he has "not backed off" pledge to reinstate ban

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (CNN) -- Reviving a ban on assault weapons and more strictly enforcing existing gun laws could help tamp down drug violence that has run rampant on the U.S.-Mexican border, President Obama said Thursday.

"We can respect and honor the Second Amendment while dealing with assault weapons," Obama says in Mexico.

Speaking alongside Mexican President Felipe Calderón, Obama said he has "not backed off at all" on a campaign pledge to try to restore the ban. It was instituted under President Clinton and allowed to lapse by President George W. Bush.

"I continue to believe that we can respect and honor the Second Amendment right in our Constitution -- the rights of sportsmen and hunters and homeowners that want to keep their families safe -- to lawfully bear arms, while dealing with assault weapons that, as we know here in Mexico, are used to fuel violence," Obama said.
hmmm, trust the media? I think not!

#22 ·
Not to be too political here, but the underlying problem is drugs, not guns. The reason these mexican gangs exist is because drug using Americans can't grow their own marijuana. I'm not a drug user, but between the problems we have now and the non-issue of hippies wasting their life smoking dope, I'd rather take the latter. I think that the refusal to look at marijuana legalization is an excuse to crack down on the rights of Americans in the name of fighting Mexican gangsters.

#25 ·
Please don't get me wrong. I look upon Pres. Obama in several important ways. They are both valid and will make sense when I further explain my perspective.

I have the highest regard, respect and esteem in President Obama. He is our duly elected President. He is the Commander and Chief of our military. That cannot be denied.

I have NO respect for Mr. Obama as a person. He says one thing and does the complete opposite the next moment. He lacks character, moral fiber, integrity, etc. as a person.

By virtue of his office he is "greater" than you or I. But, as a human being he lacks the moral fiber to be able to tell the truth in any given situation. But, this does not make him better than anyone else in our country.

But that's only my humble opinion.

#29 ·
Please don't get me wrong. I look upon Pres. Obama in several important ways. They are both valid and will make sense when I further explain my perspective.

I have the highest regard, respect and esteem in President Obama. He is our duly elected President. He is the Commander and Chief of our military. That cannot be denied.

I have NO respect for Mr. Obama as a person. He says one thing and does the complete opposite the next moment. He lacks character, moral fiber, integrity, etc. as a person.

By virtue of his office he is "greater" than you or I. But, as a human being he lacks the moral fiber to be able to tell the truth in any given situation. But, this does not make him better than anyone else in our country.

But that's only my humble opinion.

So what's the question? My feelings exactly.

#26 ·
Right now the media is in 'panic' mode trying to slow down the incredible purchase and interest in guns and ammo by American citizens. It is quite clear that the media is doing everything they can to convince Americans that not only do they not need guns, but that they'd be worse of with them. Obviously, the American public isn't buying the media lies and fabrications; they're buying guns instead and I just love it, even if ammo is hard to get right now.

#27 ·
Here is Foxnews.com version:

President Obama, after meeting Thursday with Mexico's president, signaled he is backing away from his pledge to renew the U.S. ban on assault weapons but still wishes to stop the cross-border flow of guns that wind up in the arsenals of drug cartels.

The military-style assault weapon ban expired in 2004, and Obama faced an uphill political battle in winning a renewal of the law, which is unpopular in key political states and among Republicans and some conservative Democrats.

Obama said Thursday he preferred to focus on enforcing existing laws to keep assault weapons out of Mexico, rather than trying to renew the U.S. ban on the weapons.

"We are absolutely committed to working in partnership with Mexico to make sure we are dealing with this scourge on both sides of the border," Obama said at a news conference with Calderon outlining their strategy.

"You can't fight this war with just one hand," he said. "You can't have Mexico making an effort and the United States not making an effort."

Obama, on his first trip to the region as president, said that he will push the U.S. Senate to ratify an inter-American arms trafficking treaty designed to curb the flow of guns and ammunition to drug cartels and other armed groups in the hemisphere. The regional treaty, adopted by the Organization of American States, was signed by former President Bill Clinton in 1997 but never ratified by the Senate.

Obama made the announcement after meeting Thursday afternoon with Calderon. The meeting is the centerpiece of Obama's visit to Mexico, whose government is engaged in a broad war against heavily armed drug cartels now threatening the integrity of the state.

The U.S. ban on military-style assault weapons became law during the Clinton administration in 1994 and contributed to the Democrats' loss of Congress that year. It expired under the Bush administration in 2004. When Attorney General Eric Holder raised the idea of reinstituting the ban this year, opposition from Democrats and Republicans emerged quickly.

"We know that it is a politically delicate topic because Americans truly cherish their constitutional rights," Calderon said.

During his stop in Mexico City on Thursday, Obama emphasized cross-border cooperation and focused on clean energy, but the economic crisis and the bloody drug trade have set the tone.

Calderon greeted Obama to the presidential residence, Los Pinos, with an acknowledgment of the costs "to turn Mexico into a safer country." Citing a visit a half-century ago by President John F. Kennedy, Calderon called for a new era of cooperation between the neighboring countries.

"In order for Mexico to grow and prosper, Mexico needs the United States' investments, and the United States of America needs the strength of the Mexican labor force," Calderon said.

Obama echoed Caledron's call for cooperation in his brief statements and said it was more important than ever for the two countries to work together in grappling with the drug war.

"At a time when the Mexican government has so courageously taken on the drug cartels that have plagued both sides of the border, it is absolutely critical that the United States joins as a full partner in dealing with this issue," he said.

The escalating drug war in Mexico is spilling into the United States, and confronting Obama with a foreign crisis much closer than North Korea or Afghanistan. Mexico is the main hub for cocaine and other drugs entering the U.S.; the United States is the primary source of guns used in Mexico's drug-related killings.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told FOX News on Thursday the meetings with Mexican officials are not about pointing fingers but solving problems.

"So on the U.S. side we want to make sure that spillover violence doesn't occur. But we also want to assist Mexico in its own efforts to make sure -- to clamp down on these cartels; to do what they can to break them up," she said. "Well, you've got to deal with several things simultaneously. One is, again, working with Mexico to increase their own law enforcement capacity. Two is, increasing our own resources at the border itself."

Calderon's aggressive stand against drug cartels has won him the aid of the United States and the prominent political backing of Obama -- never as evident as on Thursday, when he left Washington to fly to the Mexican capital and stand with Calderon on his own turf.

Obama's overnight Mexican stop came on the way to the Summit of the Americas in the two-island Caribbean nation of Trinidad and Tobago, where he hopes to set a new tone for relations with Latin America.

"We will renew and sustain a broader partnership between the United States and the hemisphere on behalf of our common prosperity and our common security," he wrote in an opinion column printed in a dozen newspapers throughout the region.

In the past, Obama said, America has been "too easily distracted by other priorities" while leaders throughout the Americas have been "mired in the old debates of the past."

More than 10,000 people have been killed in Mexico in drug-related violence since Calderon's stepped-up effort against the cartels began in 2006. The State Department says contract killings and kidnappings on U.S. soil, carried out by Mexican drug cartels, are on the rise too.

A U.S. military report just five months ago raised the specter of Mexico collapsing into a failed state with its government under siege by gangs and drug cartels. It named only one other country in such a worst-case scenario: Pakistan. The assertion incensed Mexican officials; Obama's team disavowed it.

Indeed, the Obama administration has gone the other direction, showering attention on Mexico.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said in Mexico City that the U.S. shared responsibility for the drug war. She said America's "insatiable demand" for illegal drugs fueled the trade and that the U.S. had an "inability" to stop weapons from being smuggled south.

Obama has dispatched hundreds of federal agents, along with high-tech surveillance gear and drug-sniffing dogs, to the Southwest to help Mexico fight drug cartels. He sent Congress a war-spending request that made room for $350 million for security along the U.S.-Mexico border. He added three Mexican organizations to a list of suspected international drug kingpins.

He dispatched three Cabinet secretaries to Mexico. And he just named a "border czar."

FOX News' Mike Emanuel and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

I think Tangle nailed it on the head when he said:

#28 ·
If the Obama administration cannot get enough support to implement an outright ban, then be assured that either gun registration, or an outrageous tax on both guns and ammo will be enacted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.