Why the run on guns and ammo?

This is a discussion on Why the run on guns and ammo? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Pistol permit applications are up in every local county, and attendance has increased at gun shows across the state. There's a 40-name waiting list for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the run on guns and ammo?

Pistol permit applications are up in every local county, and attendance has increased at gun shows across the state. There's a 40-name waiting list for vendors who want to be part of this weekend's gun show at the state fairgrounds, according to organizers.

There were 164 pistol permit applications in Onondaga County last month, compared with 86 in March of last year, according to the county sheriff's department.

Jeanne Chmura, pistol permit clerk for Madison County, said 90 pistol permits were processed in 2008.

"We've already taken in about 60 to 70 this year, if that tells you anything," she said.

The gun-buying trend is a nationwide phenomenon and has been fed by rumors that Obama wants to ban "all guns," even though he has never said that. Add to that the uncertainty about the economy and concerns about violent crime.

Tim McCarthy was with his son last weekend at Bass Pro Shops in the Fingerlakes Mall near Auburn when he saw it firsthand at the store's gun counter.

"We were trying to buy reloading equipment (for bullets)," he said. "The powder and other gun supplies were practically sold out. We spoke to a salesman and he said it's been happening for months since Obama's administration (came in)."

The salesman told McCarthy and his son that there are rumors about sweeping gun-control legislation going before Congress. He said people are worried and flocking to their local stores and buying handguns and long guns and all the ammunition that goes with them.

The story is the same at Gander Mountain, Dick's Sporting Goods, Ra-Lin, Tim's Guns and Shooting Supplies in Camillus anywhere guns and ammunition are sold in Central New York.

Pistol permit applications are up in every local county, and attendance has increased at gun shows across the state. There's a 40-name waiting list for vendors who want to be part of this weekend's gun show at the state fairgrounds, according to organizers.

There were 164 pistol permit applications in Onondaga County last month, compared with 86 in March of last year, according to the county sheriff's department.

Jeanne Chmura, pistol permit clerk for Madison County, said 90 pistol permits were processed in 2008.

"We've already taken in about 60 to 70 this year, if that tells you anything," she said.

The gun-buying trend is a nationwide phenomenon and has been fed by rumors that Obama wants to ban "all guns," even though he has never said that. Add to that the uncertainty about the economy and concerns about violent crime.

This fear -- some consider it overblown was sparked by the arrival of a president with a record of supporting gun restrictions. The National Rifle Association, on its Web site GunBaNObama.com, has said Obama is the "most anti-gun president in American history."

However, gun control measures at the federal level have been dead on arrival in recent months. Political analysts say that's because Obama needs the support of pro-gun Democrats to accomplish the rest of his agenda. In addition, the U.S. Supreme Court last year upheld the constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

"(Obama) respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms," an administration official said this week. "His administration is committed to protecting the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport and use guns."

During the campaign, Obama said he supported bringing back the expired federal assault weapons ban and making it permanent.

Catherine Barney, a state-ranked trap shooter and NRA-certified instructor, said the buying spree all comes down to fear.

"Fear that (Obama's) agenda is somehow going to wipe out the right to own guns. Fear that we're going to lose our privacy. Fear of Big Brother. ... Quite frankly, he's got bigger fish to fry," she said. "There's a lot of Chicken Littles going around saying, 'The sky is falling!' Fear spreads fear. I've seen and heard it at the gun clubs. Sometimes I want to say, 'Will you guys just relax!'"

Barney and others say Central New York pro-gun folks should be focusing their attention on the state level, where several bills are pending concerning such issues as assault rifles, ammunition and liability insurance for gun stores.

Meanwhile, the anti-Obama sentiment and rumors continue to circulate, as gun and ammunition sales continue to rise.

The Wall Street Journal reported this week that nearly four million federal background checks were done in the first three months of 2009, a 27 percent increase over the same period a year earlier, according to the FBI.

Background checks are a key measure of sales because they are required for the purchase of a gun from a federally licensed seller.

Tim Evanchak, owner of Tim's Guns and Shooting Supplies, said Obama might not be doing anything about gun control now but just wait.

Evanchak is concerned about Obama's nominations to the U.S. Supreme Court. "Those are the people who are going to start taking your gun rights away from you."

Others talk about "back-door gun control," by which the Democratic majorities at both the federal and state levels could pick away at gun rights through restrictions and taxes.

Mike Mastrogiovanni, head of the Central New York Shooters Committee on Political Education, a watchdog group for state gun owners, said "most of the gun grabbers have always been Democrats ... Chuck Schumer, Dianne Feinstein, Hillary Clinton, the Kennedys, Biden ... that's why people are afraid."

Chad Ramsey, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, scoffs at the "Obama-is-going-to-take-your-guns" rumor.

"That's a ridiculous statement. The NRA and the gun lobby spread that during the past presidential campaign and continue to spread it. Generally, the NRA and gun lobby benefit from spikes in gun sales. They get a lot of funding directly from gun stores, gun manufacturers. So when their bottom line improves, so does the NRA's."

Nevertheless, people are afraid, not only about rights being taken away but about their personal safety.

"You have people coming in here who've never had a gun, never wanted one, who are buying guns right now," said Evanchak. "I've had some older people in here looking for shotguns for home protection."

Bill Parfitt, president of the Camillus Rod and Gun Club, said in the past he'd get about one call a week from women or seniors inquiring about training in the use of firearms.

"Now I get about 15 calls a week," he said.

Mark Hamill, of Syracuse, who was in Ra-Lin on Wednesday shopping for a target-shooting rifle, said he finds it "kind of funny that they're talking about tightening up when New York already has some of the tightest gun laws in the country ... and you have crime (rates) in some areas in this state that are higher than other areas of the country.

"There's data out there showing that increasing the amount of firearms to law-abiding citizens actually decreases the violent crime rate," he said.

Richard Weiskopf, of Onondaga Hill, a self-proclaimed anti-gun advocate, said he doesn't buy the argument that his neighbors need more guns for protection.

"Look at the police. They undergo constant training to be alert, to draw their guns quickly and at the right time," he said. "I don't really believe that people who take a six-week course, stick a gun in their purse ... and then two years later will have the ability to defend themselves. They may get themselves shot or end up shooting some innocent bystander."

Julio Claps, who owns Camillus Gun and Bow, said those who are saying Obama is going to take away all the guns aren't plugged into the economic realities.

"If you ever banned guns, do you realize how many people that would put out of work? Over one million people make this stuff, maybe two million. And then you got the clothing industry that goes with the hunting season, and the boot industry, the shell industry, the knife industry, the tent industry, scopes, binoculars ... and on and on," he said.

"You'd have people not only in the industry, but outside it, who would be going out of their minds. Obama can't be that stupid and the people underneath him can't be that stupid."

ARTICLE

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Some people worry to much. Yes, the same ole group of anti-gun folks will make their play like they always do, but even the Democrats elected to office are not far left Democrats and understand allot of pro-gun folks elected them, so the anti-gun bills might get further then last time, but they still won't make the bend.

As far as President Obama, he's not stupid either, to take an industry and it''s components down would be political suicide and he knows it. He's backed off anything to do with it. He's being kind of quiet about it.

It's paranoia coming into play right now and will continue for a little while longer also. My view only here.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

"There were 164 pistol permit applications in Onondaga County last month, compared with 86 in March of last year, according to the county sheriff's department."

What ? "permit applications"..... if they tried that in this state, they would be impeached or voted out of office and their replacements would get rid of that garbage. I'm amazed ... wherever this is.... is putting up with that at all.

Because the people have spoken and are speaking. The buying of ammo and guns is our way of telling the world that we want them. The problem is our elected officials have their own agenda and are not listening. You can sit there and tell yourself they would never go for our guns but they will and are.

Angry

I want everyone to pay close attention to how this article portrays firearm owners. According to the article, firearm owners are irrational fools motivated principally by fear; easily manipulated by the evil "gun lobby" and most certainly a danger to themselves and others. What else, exclaims the author, could be behind the rise in gun sales?

Look, the rise in gun sales is easy to explain: it's speculation. The market for guns is just like any other. A projected decrease in the availability or an increase in the price of a good will cause speculatory behavior. It's totally rational and, in any other context, would be touted as an investment opportunity.

A trader on Wall St. invests in oranges after a bad growing season in Florida and the media calls it a great money-making decision. A firearm owner buys firearms/related supplies when a traditionally anti-gun faction gains political power and the only explanation the media can come up with is a mix of insanity and foolishness on the part of gun owners.

I also love the jab about the hypothetical CCW holder who takes a "six-week course, sticks a gun in their purse ... and then two years later will have the ability to defend themselves. They may get themselves shot or end up shooting some innocent bystander."" That's just insulting. For one thing, I would never carry a purse. (j/k) But seriously, is that how the author perceives everyone who carries? Who exactly has the irrational fear here? Is it us... or the author?

The reason is because of who is in the White House. A lot of people just keep nodding their head mouthing "yes we can" no matter what may happen, while others feel like their head is soon to be on the chopping block. Perhaps some of the people see the trouble that's comming and are preparing for it as best they can. I don't know if they'll attempt to round up all the guns though many would like to even if it meant a bloody civil war. Crime is growing especially where you can't own a handgun. Just watching the news and where the current administration wants to take "our" country is scarry enough.

According to the article, firearm owners are irrational fools motivated principally by fear
    I think it's totally ridiculous to single out gun owners in this mess. Heck......"irrational fools motivated principally by fear" describes the American public as a whole IMO. Did you try buying gasoline on 9/11? Ever been to the grocery store before a predicted snow storm? Tell me something I don't know.

I believe this current spree started when the economy began to tank. With high unemployment, possible civil unrest and economic uncertainty people felt venerable. Citizens are compelled to protect what they have loved and worked so hard for. Compound the concern with the Obama madness and here we are.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    I want everyone to pay close attention to how this article portrays firearm owners. According to the article, firearm owners are irrational fools motivated principally by fear; easily manipulated by the evil "gun lobby" and most certainly a danger to themselves and others. What else, exclaims the author, could be behind the rise in gun sales?

Look, the rise in gun sales is easy to explain: it's speculation. The market for guns is just like any other. A projected decrease in the availability or an increase in the price of a good will cause speculatory behavior. It's totally rational and, in any other context, would be touted as an investment opportunity.

A trader on Wall St. invests in oranges after a bad growing season in Florida and the media calls it a great money-making decision. A firearm owner buys firearms/related supplies when a traditionally anti-gun faction gains political power and the only explanation the media can come up with is a mix of insanity and foolishness on the part of gun owners.

I also love the jab about the hypothetical CCW holder who takes a "six-week course, sticks a gun in their purse ... and then two years later will have the ability to defend themselves. They may get themselves shot or end up shooting some innocent bystander."" That's just insulting. For one thing, I would never carry a purse. (j/k) But seriously, is that how the author perceives everyone who carries? Who exactly has the irrational fear here? Is it us... or the author?

Speculation is in the markets, President Obama getting into office and setting off an run on guns and ammo is not speculation like the markets, not even in the same category.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Too many people employed by the firearms industry to run it aground?

Don't think so............ When did politicians put jobs over personal agenda and whoring for votes?

How many people were employed by the tobacco industry, and how many attempts are being made to put it out of existence?

The same can be done to ANY commercial endeavor, including [especially] guns and ammunition.

MJK
    Personal statements to the gun control crowd:

1. I'm waiting on a new Benelli M4 - estimate another month or so.
    2. Purchased a new G36 last Friday - paid more at a local dealer to help keep him in business.
    3. Intend to cancel my WSJ subscription when it expires.
    4. Voted for pro-gun candidates last election. NEVER anti-gun.
    5. Write letters to representatives.
    6. NRA life member.

Stay engaged - make a statement - contribute your energy. This is a long-term fight against the BG's - and we're winning. BUT the fight will never end.

To all members of this forum...keep up the good work.

He said...

"(Obama) respects the constitutional rights of Americans to bear arms," an administration official said this week. "His administration is committed to protecting the rights of hunters and other law-abiding Americans to purchase, own, transport and use guns."

He must have forgotten the part about concealed carry...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When a Cat 4 or 5 hurricane is coming, people buy extra food and water, plywood, candles and batteries, and portable radios. Are they driven by fear created by the all-powerful food, water, plywood, candles, batteries, and portable radio industries, or are they just being prepared?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I REALLY enjoy reading the thoughts of everyone here (maybe that is why I come back to this forum day after day). I think the reality is the total combination of all the factors you have mentioned:

1. the economy: a new gun is holding its value better than my 401K or my stocks. Also with price increases, new taxes added in my state recently, and the shortage of availability, the ammo I bought in the fall is worth about 20% more today (or less costly for me to use at the range today). So YES, I will buy what I use whenever I find it. There looms the great possibility that hyper-inflation is in our future so a purchase today may be WAY CHEAPER than waiting.

2. the political insecurity of Obamanation: Holder said what he said, Obama said what he said, the administration is more Internationalistic than Constitutional. Personal preparation seems logical (not fear induced). Buying a AR15 today makes sense before another AWB comes along. All that is needed to change EVERYTHING is for one of Obama's appointees to sign a UN "international agreement" and the Constitution guarentee of 2A is gone with the swipe of a pen......

3. Crime: whether the statistical rates are up or down matters little when it happens to YOU. Personal protection is a personal right and responsibility. The realization of this FACT is dawning on people nationwide. Whether it is the realization that Columbine type attacks can occur anywhere anytime OR that another terrorist attack can occur at any moment OR the drug war is cropping up in small towns thousands of miles from the Mexican border OR your house may be burgalized, or the economy/political system melts down into civil unrest, people are aware and arming themselves.

Run on arms and ammo makes sense logically and will continue for awhile yet. Crime, economy and the political situation in Washington (and some states) will drive it. Hey, just because I always liked firearms and used firearms is reason enuff to buy BUT now it makes sense to INVEST in a what I like and use. It has become a win-win situation to BUY.

Instability in economy and politics will always drive thinking men and women to PREPARE for the worst and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Speculation is in the markets, President Obama getting into office and setting off an run on guns and ammo is not speculation like the markets, not even in the same category.
    So, how did you get your firearms? How did you get your ammunition, holster, cleaning supplies, and accessories? Unless you made all these things yourself from materials you extracted from the earth yourself, then you participated in a market.

Consumers speculate all the time. Take a look at the number of people "flipping" houses or those who stock up on batteries and bottled water before hurricane season. It's all the same thing. When you consider buying a rifle because it may soon be banned from retail sale, you're making an economic decision based on your perception of the cost/availability of the rifle in the future. That's called speculation. When you stock up on ammo and supplies because of possible civil unrest or social disorder that's, again, speculation, because you're implicitly assuming that you won't be able to get those supplies as easily or at the same price in the future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links