Has H.R. 45 moved out of Committee?

This is a discussion on Has H.R. 45 moved out of Committee? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got a letter from the NRA today requesting support for a new warchest to fight H.R. 45. Now I am a proud member and ...

Thread: Has H.R. 45 moved out of Committee?

Has H.R. 45 moved out of Committee?

I got a letter from the NRA today requesting support for a new warchest to fight H.R. 45. Now I am a proud member and supporter of the NRA. But the last I heard H.R. 45 (which is indeed a horrible bill) was stuck in committee with no hope of making it to the floor.

Have recent events helped to move this thing forward? Or is the NRA just trying to raise funds by talking about this?

...Even if the NRA is just using this to try and raise funds I may send them some more anyway just on general principles.

But if H.R. 45 (or anything like it) is moving forward I am not only going to send more funds to the NRA I am going to start screaming (again) to my senators and congressman. Does anyone know the actual status of this bill?
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

2. Remove Ads

I don't think it is going anywhere. I'm also not sure why it was stated in that letter (I got it as well). I guess you could say it as sort of "we need to fight things like HR 45" but overall, I think you're right. It's probably a bit of a salesmanship.

I has been stalled for a while. Since 2008. I am hoping it just dies. Cross your fingers. :)

Status
    OpenCongress - U.S. Congress - H.R.45 Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009

BAC
    It will be as successful as it was the last go around.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseman04 View Post
    I got a letter from the NRA today requesting support for a new warchest to fight H.R. 45.

Have recent events helped to move this thing forward? Or is the NRA just trying to raise funds by talking about this?
    According to Thomas, it hasn't moved since 9 February 2009:
    Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

H.R.45
    Title: To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes.
    Sponsor: Rep Rush, Bobby L. [IL-1] (introduced 1/6/2009) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/9/2009 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security.ALL ACTIONS:

1/6/2009:
    Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.

2/9/2009:
    Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Good! That's what I thought. I just wanted to see if anyone had heard differently.
    ....a politically incorrect right-wing fiscally-conservative libertarian NRA card-carrying gun-toting self-sufficient gainfully-employed Bible-believing church-going fundamentalist evangelical Christian. Perhaps you should avoid my company. I might contaminate you.

To be fair to the NRA, though, if it wasn't for the type of influence the NRA wields, its likely HR 45 would have moved at least to consideration by now, rather than the current situation of dying without a single co-sponsor.

Links