More Dread in NY

This is a discussion on More Dread in NY within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; R News: As It Happens, Where It Happens Proposed Laws Concern Gun Owners by Mike Hedeen photo by Todd Krupa Published Apr 21, 2009 Watch ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Dread in NY

More Dread in NY

R News: As It Happens, Where It Happens

Proposed Laws Concern Gun Owners
    by Mike Hedeen
    photo by Todd Krupa
    Published Apr 21, 2009
    Watch Video

Some new laws being proposed in the state legislature are striking fear in those who own and sell guns. They believe if passed and signed by the governor, it would put more restrictions on those who legally possess firearms.

"It's increased our business dramatically but we're just working twice as hard trying to keep up with it," said Mike Barrett, a gun shop manager in Batavia. He says customers are stocking up in the event these proposals become law.

The proposals include:

New regulations for buying bullets where the purchaser would be required to fill out an application that would include the make, model and manufacturer of the firearm the bullets are intended for.
    Requiring manufacturers to use an ammunition coding system for all handgun and assault rifle ammunition sold in New York State.
    The creation and imposition of restrictive commercial practices and stringent record keeping and reporting to prevent gun sales to criminals. It would require dealers to carry $1 million in liability insurance.
    The renewal of firearm licenses every five years.
    Limiting the purchase of all shells to 100 rounds every 90 days.

"On a state and federal level they have an objective and they just want to eliminate guns period in the United States any way, shape or form,” Barrett said. “And people that doubt that, we got the information to back it up and say we're not just dreaming this up."

Limiting shell purchases to 100 rounds per 90 days is a major concern to those who shoot competitively. They say it's easy to spend more than 100 rounds on any given afternoon.

"Every time you want to go you're going to have to plan three days ahead,” said James Pontillo, a recreational shooter from Genesee County. “You're going to have to go down, buy the ammo, and now you're going to have three or four people with you because if I go down and we can shoot 100 rounds of .22 shells it's basically like shooting a BB gun."

Gun owners from across the state will travel to Albany next week where they will try to persuade state lawmakers to reconsider a number of proposed laws that they believe will restrict their rights to own firearms.

The Genesee County chapter of the Shooters' Committee on Political Education (SCOPE) is sponsoring a bus trip to the capitol on Wednesday, April 27. The group believes that even though similar gun legislation has been proposed in the past, this is the year it could pass.

"Most of the years these laws have passed the Assembly and the Senate stopped it or the governor stopped it,” explained SCOPE Vice President Jack Taylor. “But right now it looks like this governor would sign anti-gun legislation and we don't know what the senate's going to do so that's why we're going to go down there and try to help educate them and hopefully prevent some of this stuff from happening."

Barrett believes if this legislation does become law, particularly the limit on ammunition, his business will suffer.

"If people couldn't get the ammunition they wouldn't buy the guns, we'd lose a good portion of our business, a very good portion of our business."

mrh/ay

2. Remove Ads

And these...

Five Anti-Gun Bills to be Considered on Tuesday, April 21 in Albany
    Please Stand-Up and Make Your Voices Heard!

The following anti-gun bills will be considered in the Assembly Codes Committee on Tuesday, April 21 beginning at 11:00 A.M.

Assembly Bill 3076A, sponsored by State Assemblyman Brian Kavanagh (D-74), would broaden provisions relating to eligibility for a firearms license.

Assembly Bill 3211A, sponsored by State Assemblywoman Patricia Eddington (D-3), would ban the sale, use or possession of .50-caliber or larger firearms.

Assembly Bill 5696A, sponsored by State Representative Brian Kavanagh (D-74), would require employees of dealers in firearms to submit to state and national criminal background checks.

Assembly Bill 6157, sponsored by State Assemblyman Matthew Titone (D-61), would amend the definition of assault weapon to include additional weapons.

Assembly Bill 6468, sponsored by State Assemblywoman Michelle Schimel (D-16), would require semi-automatic pistols manufactured or delivered to any licensed dealer in the Empire State to be capable of micro-stamping.

In order to stop this attack on your Second Amendment Rights, your lawmakers need to hear from you. It is very likely that these bills will be heading to the Assembly Floor in time for “Anti-Gun” bill day on Wednesday, April 29.

Please contact your lawmakers TODAY at their district offices and at the Capitol in Albany and respectfully urge them to OPPOSE these measures!

For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

From reading the new AWB revisions, you will need to surrender or license your currently owned banned firearms with the State Police or permantly disable said firearm.

This is ridiculous.

These people are going to criminalize me. I have always been a law abiding citizen. But I will not conform to this crap. I'll travel across state lines, to get ammo. Bury my guns, you name it. I have a feeling these will be shot down, like many other rediculous laws were last year. But you never know.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Have you seen the movie "Escape From NY"?

Pack up your family and get out of that state.

There use to be a sign in front of the Oak Beach Inn (OBI) near Jones Beach that read "Get out of NY State before it's too late". Guess what, it's too late.

Save yourself. Leave the place to the criminals and sheep.

Take your $$$$$$$$$$$ with you.

There is coming a time when you're just gonna have to weigh the benefits of staying in a state such as this or moving. If you're near the state line it might not be too difficult to move, but if it's a few hundred miles one would have to consider the move and decide for yourself if it's worth it. Sometimes the idiots just outnumber us.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    NYcarry, I noticed one thing in common with all the bills you posted - they were all sponsored by a Democrat. Guess they are getting worried.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Sadly the folks in control and the majority are all NYC Democrats, controlling the laws for the totally different culture of the rest of the Rural state.

If I lived in New York State, I would be getting one of these!!!

Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    If I lived in New York State, I would be getting one of these!!!

Pretty easy for those not faced with the problem to say pack up and move but it's not as easy as that. I was born and lived in this state for 47 years and have family to think about as well a home and work. I realize giving advise is easy when it doesn't pertain to you but maybe think about it a bit before you jump to an answer like that. Nobody should have to move in the first place what they are doing is wrong on many levels.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Yea, I'm not ready to give up the fight quite yet, we will not let them win. Upstate does not think the way the current legislature in power does. I'd rather they snipped NYC off our state and relieve the burden on the rest of us.

Remember CA and NY are usually the trial states before *your* state sees this as a good idea. Much less the Federal Government.

What is just wrong is these Bills are silent to the majority of citizens here.
    Unless your on some email list from your rep or the NRA, you would barely hear about them.
    The 100 round limit per 90 days at least is hitting some of the local news anyway, so that at least gets attention for some resistance.

My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I won't even visit a state that doesn't respect the 2A.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Pretty easy for those not faced with the problem to say pack up and move but it's not as easy as that. I was born and lived in this state for 47 years and have family to think about as well a home and work. I realize giving advise is easy when it doesn't pertain to you but maybe think about it a bit before you jump to an answer like that. Nobody should have to move in the first place what they are doing is wrong on many levels.
    I do know what it's like.

I moved to Maryland for ten years! After I had lived there awhile, I decided I needed to get back home, so I saved my money and finally got the heck out of there!!!

If you could move to a more "Rights" friendly State, you would never regret it, I promise!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links