• "We are taking the law and bending it as far as we can to capture a whole new class of guns [to ban]"--- Jose Cerda (Clinton White House official)
• "Gun registration is not enough."
-- Janet Reno, U.S. Attorney General
• "I want to make it as hard as possible. Gun owners would have to be evaluated by how they scored on written and firing tests, and have to pass the tests in order to own a gun. And I would tax the guns, bullets and the license itself very heavily.
"-- Jocelyn Elders, U.S. Surgeon General
• " ... we could tax them [firearms] out of existence."-- Daniel Patrick Moynihan
, U.S. Senator
• "We're going to have to take this one step at a time, and the first step is necessarily - given the political realities - going to be very modest. Right now, though, we'd be satisfied not with half a loaf but with a slice. Our ultimate goal - total control of all guns- is going to take time ... The final problem is to make the possession of all handguns and all handgun ammunition - except for the military, policemen, licensed security guards, licensed sporting clubs and licensed gun collectors - totally illegal."-- Nelson T. Shields III, Founder of Handgun Control, Inc
"Yes, I'm for an outright ban [on handguns]." -Pete Shields
• "There is no personal right to be armed for private purposes unrelated to the service in a well regulated militia."--- Sarah Brady
• "We must reverse this psychology (of needing guns for home defense). WE can do it by passing a law that says anyone found in possession a handgun except a legitimate officer of the law goes to jail-period!"-- Carl Rowan"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them... "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in," I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here." -U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein
"Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of Americans to feel safe." -U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein
"The national guard fulfills the the militia mentioned in the Second Amendment. Citizens no longer need to protect the states or themselves."
"There is little sense in gun registration. What we need to significantly enhance public safety is domestic disarmament . . . . Domestic disarmament entails the removal of arms from private hands . . . .
Given the proper political support by the people who oppose the pro-gun lobby, legislation to remove the guns from private hands, acts like the legislation drafted by Senator John Chafee [to ban handguns], can be passed in short order."-Henry Cisneros
"Repealing the Second Amendment is no cause for the faint-hearted, but it remains the only way for liberals to trigger an honest debate on the future of our bullet-plagued society. So what if anti-gun advocates have to devote the next 15 or 20 years to the struggle? The cause is worth the political pain.
Failing to take bold action condemns all of us to spend our lives cringing in terror every time we hear a car backfire."--Walter Shapiro"Banning guns is an idea whose time has come."-Joseph Biden"We must be able to arrest people before they commit crimes. By registering guns and knowing who has them we can do that... If they have guns they are pretty likely to commit a crime."
-Mary Ann Carlson State Senator (VT)"As you know, my position is we should ban all handguns, get rid of them, no manufacture, no sale, no importation, no transportation, no possession of a handgun."
-John H. Chafee U.S. Senator
"Defensive gun ownership is "anarchy, not order under law--a jungle where each relies on himself for survival," and an insult to government, for "[a] state in which a citizen needs a gun to protect himself from crime has failed to perform its first purpose."-Ramsey Clark, former U.S. AG
"People who like assault weapons, they should join the United States Army; we have them....-Wesley Clark"We need much stricter gun control, and eventually we should bar the ownership of handguns except in a few cases."
-William L. Clay"I stand in support of this common sense legislation to license everyone who wishes to purchase a gun. I also believe that every new handgun sale or or transfer should be listed in a national registry, such as Chuck [Senator Schumer] is proposing."
"And we should -- then every community in the country could then start doing major weapon sweeps and then destroying the weapons, not selling them."-Bill Clinton
"Assault weapons in the hands of civilians exist for no reason but to inspire fear and wreak deadly havoc on our streets."-Bill Clinton"When we got organized as a country and we wrote a fairly radical Constitution with a radical Bill of Rights, giving a radical amount of individual freedom to Americans... And so a lot of people say there's too much personal freedom. When personal freedoms being abused, you have to move to limit it.
That's what we did in the announcement I made last weekend on the public housing projects, about how were going to have weapon sweeps and more things like that to try to make people safer in their communities."-Bill Clinton"We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans to own handguns and rifles that we are unable to think clearly about reality."-Bill Clinton"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."-Bill Clinton"The constitution is a radical document. It is the job of government to reign in people's rights."
"If it was up to me, no one but law enforcement officers would own handguns..."-Richard Daley
"You know I don't believe in people owning guns, only the police and military. And I'm going to do everything I can to disarm this state." -Michael Dukakis"I think you have to do it a step at a time and I think that is what the NRA is most concerned about,
is that it will happen one very small step at a time, so that by the time people have "woken up" -- quote -- to what's happened, it's gone farther than what they feel the consensus of American citizens would be. But it does have to go one step at a time and the beginning of the banning of semi-assault military weapons, that are military weapons, not "household" weapons, is the first step."
"I don't care about crime, I just want to get the guns."-Howard Metzenbaum