MSNBC: Obama backs off AWB

This is a discussion on MSNBC: Obama backs off AWB within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The article seems to be accurate. N.B. BHO may not actively pursue an AWB in public, but he will be passive when the fight begins. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MSNBC: Obama backs off AWB

MJK
    The article seems to be accurate.

N.B. BHO may not actively pursue an AWB in public, but he will be passive when the fight begins. He will not actively oppose it and will sign a bill if it lands on his desk.

The anti-gun crowd will use every propaganda technique to influence the public to support their side. As soon as the tipping point is reached they WILL introduce an AWB and then pressure anyone who they believe will succumb.

WE MUST REMAIN VIGILANT AND TAKE THE FIGHT TO THEM! Keep them off-balance - strike at every opportunity - don't ever let up. Speak out, talk to friends, write your representatives...and JOIN THE NRA if you are not already a member.

2. Remove Ads

My prediction:

The Dems are keeping the issue in the news, not high priority, but just enough to fuel the fire.

When midterm elections come about, that will dictate whether there will be a push and passage of a new AWB.

If the Dems maintain supremacy in Congress, it will be on the floor for a vote at least.

If the Dems gain several seats in Congress, it will pass and there is jack squat we can do about it.

If the Reps gain more seats in Congress, it might come to a vote and some favors, etc like the last one.

If the Reps gain the majority in Congress, it will not come to the floor for a vote.

Obama's administration knows how to work the media. The Dems are poised to cram garbage down our throats when they know they have the votes to do it. They won't stand and fight man on man, they will wait until you are crippled, down on the ground, then start kicking you.

Mark my words. Then watch and see what happens. All the gun owners who are worth anything already know what to do. If you question it, there is no hope for you.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Who needs facts when you just keep repeating the lie about us arming nearly all of the drug cartels? You know what they say - if you lie enough times, even you will believe it.

For the purpose of this discussion, I'm assuming you mean the Senate when you say Congress. Also, see disclaimer at the end of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    If the Dems maintain supremacy in Congress, it will be on the floor for a vote at least.
    They already have it and aren't close to putting it on the floor.

If the Dems gain several seats in Congress, it will pass and there is jack squat we can do about it.
    What do you mean by "several"? On many issues, they only need to pick up one or two seats to be filibuster-proof. However, 22 Democrats voted for the Ensign Amendment to the D.C. Voters Rights bill. Remember, that was a stand-alone amendment, it was literally a yes or no vote on gun rights.

Let's say the Democrats gain five seats in 2010 (which would be a remarkable pick up for the White House party in a mid-term election). That would give them a total of 64. That means that assuming the Republicans go straight party line, the Democrats could only lose four of their own and still get the bill through (60 to kill the filibuster). I daresay the Democrats would not be able to keep 18 out of those 22 in line. Hell, several of them have already categorically said they wouldn't support an AWB.

If the Reps gain more seats in Congress, it might come to a vote and some favors, etc like the last one.
    I'm baffled here. It hasn't come to the floor despite the Democrats holding both houses of congress and the White House, but you think that if the Republicans gain seats it will somehow come to a vote? Huh?

If the Reps gain the majority in Congress, it will not come to the floor for a vote.
    We can agree on that. However, barring a scandal or crisis of epic and historic proportions, there is no way the Reps will gain a majority in either house.

Obama's administration knows how to work the media. The Dems are poised to cram garbage down our throats when they know they have the votes to do it.
    Sure, but they don't and likely won't.

They won't stand and fight man on man, they will wait until you are crippled, down on the ground, then start kicking you.
    As opposed to Republicans who play politics like a big fun pillow fight? A politician is a politician. Any of them from any party will shake one hand while cutting your throat with the other.

Obama and the party leadership know what kind of poison this issue is. The only ones popping off about it are those in very gun-control happy states, so they can talk all they want without upsetting anyone that matters to them. Currently, the Democrats look to pick up Senate seats in 2010, a rare luxury for the party in power. Given the current math and the Democrats not wanting to endanger their opportunity, a stand alone AWB is virtually impossible before 2010. This does not mean that some other form of idiotic gun control can't pass, just this particular load of BS.

Now let's look past 2010. Given the Senate's makeup, the Republicans are likely to gain seats back in 2012. Obama will of course already be running for re-election. Whatever his position paper said, for all practical purposes, it was a non-issue in the last election and that was for a reason. He knew it was a third rail issue and ran like Hell from it.

So, my predictions: an AWB has for all practical purposes, no chance of passing before 2010. The chances go up some after the mid-term elections depending on how many seats the Dems pick up, but the math still isn't right for a ban to pass, and pushing the issue would be very risky for the Democrats given the 2012 campaign.

If Obama gets re-elected, all bets are off. At that point, he's not running for election anymore and can afford to take more risks. I'd still say the chances are relatively low, but how low I have no idea.

Disclaimer: Every thing I said here is in regard to a stand alone AWB. I do not believe that such a bill will pass in the next three and a half years, the votes just aren't there. However, an AWB crammed inside a bigger, more "important" bill, as was the case with the original, is another beast. I still think it wouldn't pass, but it would be a real fight as opposed to a non-starter.

I think all of you need to think about what's been in the news during the last several months--multiple shootings including the latest in Northwest FL where two sheriff's deputies died. Regardless of whether all of these multiple homicides involved assault weapons, there will be increasing pressure for the Govt to act. Whether or not the action has any linkage to the multiple homicides is beyond the point. Something is going to happen!! The question is what?

Assault weapons have the fewest defenders in the country. Many, otherwise pro-gun folks (including me), believe that banning assault-type weapons would be no great loss. Those who continue to defend them actively are in the minority.

You can blame it on the Democrats, but you will see politicians of all ilks getting on the bandwagon to do something. The easiest "something" is an assault weapon ban.

Just my opinion.

To all who could care less about the AWB and your view that we really don't need them and could do without them:

Be careful what you wish for; just remember that you are talking about banning a category of firearms just because of how they look.

With that kind of logic, the government could come back the time a Charles Whitman/Texas Tower episode occurs and say "these deadly sniper rifles that can deal death at ranges exceeding 400 yards have no place in our society".

Then they end up banning almost every bolt-action deer rifle in America. In addition, telescopic sights go with them as well.

then somebody goes nuts with a high cap pistol, and it starts again............

Clear the picture up a bit????
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Torgo, they also said Obama had no chance of being president and look at what happened.

I think in some way, shape or form, and AWB will be brought to the floor on a vote either as a stand alone bill or as a piggyback onto other non related legislation. Highway funding, LE funding, etc.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Torgo, they also said Obama had no chance of being president and look at what happened.
    Tubby, this doesn't address my arguments, it just says, "Something unexpected happened before, therefore something unexpected might happen again." Well yeah, I know that. Also, who is this nebulous, "they"? I thought he had a legitimate shot at the presidency after his 2004 convention speech.

I'm not saying I know I'm right. What I've tried to do is give an opinion based as much as possible on the facts. Please, poke holes in them! I'm not the type who refuses to change their mind or acknowledge a mistake. But that's not a counter argument, it's more like a truism.

Look at it this way. If one year ago, a guy from the future came to us and said, "Obama will be president, the Dems dominated the election, and there will be a ridiculous number of high profile, high body count shootings," what would our response be? I'd definitely assume that gun control legislation would be on the fast track with an excellent chance at passing.

What do we have instead? When the AG mentioned the possibility, almost every high ranking Democrat more or less told him to shut his pie hole. A pro-gun amendment passed by an overwhelming majority in the senate, including 22 Dems. A ton of Dems signed a letter saying, "Don't even think about it." Something as obscure as a used brass regulation brought an instantaneous firestorm, with Democratic senators being key to the positive resolution. They haven't even got a gun show bill through yet, and that's a slam dunk compared to an AWB.

Yeah, Feinstein has puked up her usual garbage and Pelosi has sort of been all over the place, but both of them are from California; they were preaching to their constituents.

I think in some way, shape or form, and AWB will be brought to the floor on a vote either as a stand alone bill or as a piggyback onto other non related legislation. Highway funding, LE funding, etc.
    We shall see. Like I said in other threads, I'm far more concerned about regulatory action by Holder, since he can bypass Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I dont beleive a word of it.

I'll believe it when I see it never mentioned again. Hardly a day goes by that some new anti-gun crap is introduced because his partners in crime think it can go through. He may not push it, but there are many others that will.
    Exactly. Obama's backing off the AWB like I'm backing off using cheese on my cheeseburgers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links