MSNBC: Obama backs off AWB

This is a discussion on MSNBC: Obama backs off AWB within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First 100 days: Assault weapons ban - The First 100 Days- msnbc.com First 100 days: Assault weapons ban Obama’s goal of permanently renewing the ban ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSNBC: Obama backs off AWB

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar

First 100 days: Assault weapons ban - The First 100 Days- msnbc.com

First 100 days: Assault weapons ban
    Obama’s goal of permanently renewing the ban appears to be a longshot

By Pete Williams
    Justice correspondent
    NBC News
    updated 12:14 p.m. MT, Fri., April 24, 2009

WASHINGTON - Campaigning before a church congregation on Chicago’s South Side one Sunday in July 2007, Barack Obama said an epidemic of big city violence was “sickening the soul of this nation.”

Among the potential cures, he said, was permanently reinstating a ban on assault weapons.

One-hundred days into his presidency, President Obama says it remains a goal. But it is one the White House has been forced to abandon.

Voices of agreement
    President Obama and Vice-President Biden, “support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent,” the White House website declares. Shortly after taking office, members of the Obama cabinet added their voices of agreement.

At his first news conference as attorney general, Eric Holder said, “there are just a few gun-related changes what we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban.”

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton endorsed the idea during her trip to Mexico in late March. “These assault weapons, these military-style weapons, don’t belong on anyone’s street,” she said.

But the fire has gone out of President Obama’s goal of restricting the availability of firearms. “I don’t know of any plans,” said White House spokesman Robert Gibbs, to seek an assault weapons ban from Congress.

Attorney General Holder admitted as much when asked, during a recent session with reporters, whether he expected any push for a ban this year to curb the flow of guns from the United States to Mexico.

His answer could have come straight from the National Rifle Association: “I think what we’re going to do is to try to, obviously, enforce the laws on the books.”

Support evaporated
    Congress imposed a ban on what it called assault weapons in 1994, outlawing the sale and importation of 19 military-style weapons, copycat models with similar features, and high-capacity ammunition magazines. In a compromise with Republicans, the Democrats who controlled Congress agreed to let it expire in ten years unless it was renewed. By 2004, with Republicans in charge, support had evaporated.

Democrats again control Congress, and a Democrat is once more in the White House, the same conditions that allowed the ban to be imposed 15 years ago. But the make-up of Congress is different, with little appetite for restricting gun ownership.

The Senate’s majority leader is a westerner, Harry Reid of Nevada, where gun control is political poison. And though the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, comes from the more liberal San Francisco, she has shown no enthusiasm for reviving the assault weapons ban because of opposition among her colleagues.

Sixty-five House Democrats wrote Attorney General Holder in mid-March, saying they “would actively oppose any effort to reinstate the 1994 ban” and predicting “a long and divisive fight” if the administration tried to push for one. Many of them represent rural districts, where gun control is no more popular than in Nevada.

By the time President Obama made his trip to Mexico, he conceded the battle would be futile. “None of us are any illusion that reinstating that ban would be easy.”

“What we’re focused on is how we can improve our enforcement of existing laws,” he said.

Straw buyers
    Enforcement of the nation’s gun laws is primarily the responsibility of ATF, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. Its agents and inspectors check to see that gun dealers obey laws governing sales. They look for evidence of “straw buyers” – people legally entitled to buy guns who then sell them to criminals or others who don’t want any records tying them to a specific gun.

ATF says such buyers are responsible for a large proportion of guns that wind up in the hands of violent drug cartels in Mexico.

“These illegal purchases,” ATF’s William Newell told Congress last month, are “a key source and supply of firearms for drug traffickers.”

The best way to improve enforcement of existing gun laws, said one veteran ATF agent, is to put more badges on the street.

“Give us more people to inspect gun dealers, looking for straw buyers, in the states where the guns smuggled into Mexico are coming from,” he says.

The number of ATF inspectors has remained remarkably flat in the past two decades, while support staffing has grown in other federal agencies, including the FBI and Drug Enforcement Administration.

ATF had 764 inspectors in 1990. It has 771 today.

The number of ATF agents has risen 32% during the same period, but it is a comparatively small agency. ATF has 2,441 agents today, compared to the FBI’s 13,040 and the DEA’s 5,235.

It’s no accident that the size of ATF’s inspections force has remained flat. The NRA has successfully fought efforts to expand inspections, claiming that licensed firearms dealers have been harassed.

“Despite its crime-fighting mission,” a recent report from the Congressional Research Service dryly observed, “ATF’s business relationships with the firearms industry and larger gun-owning community have been a perennial source of tension.”

If new agents are hired, says the NRA’s Wayne LaPierre, “You need to make sure they’re directed to go after the bad guys, because owning firearms is a right in the United States, and what you don’t want to do is harass law abiding people.”

The NRA is on a roll. The Supreme Court ruled last year that the Second Amendment protects an individual’s right of gun ownership, not merely the right of organized militias to arm themselves.

Unless the mid-term election brings a substantial change in the composition of Congress, an assault weapons ban has little chance of becoming law under Barack Obama, and ATF will not be able to count on a larger force of agents and inspectors.

Gun control, once considered a soccer-mom issue popular in suburban America, is again radioactive.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    Obama is the THE #1 Gun Salesman in the United States right at this present time.

He has sold more "assault" type firearms & handguns (and ammunition) than any other individual in U.S. History.

Right now. He is the gun makers best friend. The only businesses in the United States that are absolutely BOOMING overtime and still not able to have production meet demand.

Oh...he is also THE BEST recruiter that the NRA has ever had.

Thanks Obama!

And may gun control of all kinds R.I.P. for ever!!
    Member of:
    National Rifle Association
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    Ohioans for Concealed Carry
    Defensive Carry
    United States Conceal Carry Association

Senior Moderator
    One-hundred days into his presidency, President Obama says it remains a goal. But it is one the White House has been forced to abandon.
    I dont beleive a word of it.

I'll believe it when I see it never mentioned again. Hardly a day goes by that some new anti-gun crap is introduced because his partners in crime think it can go through. He may not push it, but there are many others that will.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

He's hoping that the OAS/UN treaty will do it for him. Elsewhere on the site is info that we need to be aware of about this treaty. If the treaty is ratified by Congress it becomes law, better check it out.

When I was a lad my father took me to the carnival. There was a guy there doing sleight of hand tricks. Another boy was standing off to the side and apparently was quick and observant because he kept "announcing" to the crowd where the coin or ball really was. It irritated the "performer" finally and he came over to the youngster and said "Get away from me , boy, you are ruining my work."

Kind of reminds me of what the politicians are "working" right now. It is all sleight of hand and mis-direction. If there is anything to know for sure, it is when the media says "look over here".....you better look over THERE instead !

How about stop trying to ban our guns and punish the scum that use them illegally. Like say for instance you're caught with a gun first offense get 5yrs to 10yrs, second offense 15 to 20yrs. Third never see you again. Those are just punishments for offense were no one was hurt.
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Jeez I guess now that they say they don't intend to go after the weapons I'll vote for Obama in 2012. That's when I predict they will go after our guns, during his second term.
    He and the Congress knows that if they try to go after our guns now it will hurt chances for re-election.
    If there is anything that we have learned from these first 100 days is not to believe anything they say.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

I'll believe it when I see it never mentioned again. Hardly a day goes by that some new anti-gun crap is introduced because his partners in crime think it can go through. He may not push it, but there are many others that will.
    What he said /\+ a trillion 1,000,000,000,000.

I wish that report was true, but I am concerned that we may lose our right to bear arms. There is a possibility that this administration's obsession with international law may be the tool they use to revise our entire constitution.

Perhaps, the day will come again soon, when we can find ammunition in our local Wal-Marts and gun shops?

I guess when BO stuck his thumb into the wind, it told him to back off for a while...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

HotGuns: your post above as with all your posts, I read by you, is/are on target. Thank you.

The democrats are fearful of another midterm squashing like what happened after Clinton passed AWB 1 back in '93; They are not stupid, they have their hands absolutely full with the economic crisis right now, which BTW is reaching its apocalypse, literally. Anyone who doesn't believe me, go check out Drudge and pay particular attention to the situation over in Europe right now. France is paralyzed by a huge strike, and their banks, as well as Germany's and the rest of continental Europe are teetering on the brink of a catastrophic meltdown much worse than anything we have seen here. With us, it is just basically a housing bubble, with them it is several bubbles and then some. Obama and the democrats want to do everything they can to keep things moving along over here, and getting our economy going and keep the folks quiet and happy, which isn't happening.

Personally, I think even without the threat of another AWB the dems are gonna get crushed in these midterms because people are so fed up with the staus quo.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    They are not stupid, they have their hands absolutely full with the economic crisis right now, which BTW is reaching its apocalypse, literally
    "Apocalypse" ? Not hardly.
    While I don't doubt that it is coming, it is not here yet.

As long as you can go to Walmart and buy groceries, it ain't an apocalypse.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

+1 on the "backdoor" UN treaty attempt. Another possibility is outrageous taxes on guns and ammunition.

I still refuse to let my guard down for a second. They are up to no good.

Be Safe

NosaM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links