Urgent: This just in from TFA (TN) re: parks and restuarant bills-update 30-Oct

This is a discussion on Urgent: This just in from TFA (TN) re: parks and restuarant bills-update 30-Oct within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just receive this from the Tennessee Firearms Association: HB0962 Restaurant Carry I cannot stress enough that we need more phone calls and emails to ...

Thread: Urgent: This just in from TFA (TN) re: parks and restuarant bills-update 30-Oct

Senior Moderator

I just receive this from the Tennessee Firearms Association:

HB0962 Restaurant Carry
    I cannot stress enough that we need more phone calls and emails to legislators about passing HB0962 in the House and Senate without the House restrictions. The Senate version of the bill strips out these restrictions. We expect, at this point, for the bills to be in both Houses on Thursday the 30th of April and to be potentially in and out of conference by that time.

Parks Bill(s)
    There are several parks bills moving and efforts are being made to consolidate these different bills into one bill by amendment. This would be preferable to minimize the chance for conflicting language and/or provisions related to federal, state and local parks. We are also hearing "objections" to issues pertaining to wildlife management areas and refuges. One of the largest attacks we are seeing at this time is coming from the Tennessee Municipal League and other organizations that claim to represent local governments and local law enforcement which are objecting to the State setting a standard rule for permit holders and parks. Instead, these local governments want to totally control not only the parks that they actually claim to "own" (does the government really own anything relative to the citizens?) but they also essentially want a local veto over carrying in state or perhaps even federal parks in their jurisdiction. We need substantial call and email volume in opposition to allowing local governments to control local parks because it will clearly result in a situation where there is no standard to be applied statewide regarding permit holders and the use of public parks.

We need emails and phone calls if we want these bills to pass!!!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I've sent my e-mails, but one of my reps is recovering from a heart attack and the other is on "our" side on this.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Senior Moderator
    Yep, both of mine are on our side.

Anybody heard any news on this today. I heard something on the radio that some Senators and Reps are going to meet tomorrow. Was that correct?
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

Senior Moderator
    Just got this update:

The House voted on April 30 not to accept the Senate bill - for a 2nd time. That triggered the appointment of a conference committee.
    The committee meeting is tentatively scheduled on Monday, May 4 at 2:00 PM in LP31.

House Video: Start at 35 minutes
    House Session Thursday

House Conference Members are Todd, McCord, Armstrong, Bass, Casada
    House Members - TN General Assembly

Senate Conference Members are: Jackson, Finney, Burchett, Stanley, Beavers
    Senate Members - TN General Assembly
    I would strongly recommend phone calls to all conference members. I suspect we don't have to worry about the Senate members but we need to encourage the House members.
    Be firm. Insist that the conference committee adopt and recommend the Senate action. The one possible qualification on the Senate action would be stripping out the definition of a restaurant, however, its a good bill even with that language still in.

Wish I could help, but I am a North Mississippi resident that works in Memphis and travels into Memphis all of the time. I am intensely interested in the passage of the HB, but they don't really care about me as I have no vote in their district.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

That's okay, it seems they don't much care about us most of the time either. If they did we'd have had these bills passed years ago ... cough cough NAIFEH!
    Jack

I live in north Mississippi as well. I do go into Memphis quite often and would love to see the bill passes. Until then, I'll just keep most of my business and going out south of the border.
    Slow is steady and steady is fast.

Links