Arizona's HCM 2009

Arizona's HCM 2009

This is a discussion on Arizona's HCM 2009 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; House Concurrent Memorial 2009 will be heard in the Military Affairs and Public Safety Committee tomorrow, Wednesday, April 29. Simply put, HCM2009 recommends to the ...

Thread: Arizona's HCM 2009

DC Founder

Thumbs up Arizona's HCM 2009

House Concurrent Memorial 2009 will be heard in the Military Affairs and Public Safety Committee tomorrow, Wednesday, April 29.

Simply put, HCM2009 recommends to the U.S. Congress that they not pass any anti-gun bills. Similar resolutions have already been passed in several other states.

This resolution sends a strong message to Congress that it needs to protect our Second Amendment rights.

Please call the sponsors of HCM2009 and your State Representatives TODAY and respectfully voice your support for this measure.

TEXT OF BILL:

To the Congress of the United States of America:

Your memorialist respectfully represents:

Whereas, the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution provides not only for a collective right or the right for the states to establish militias, but also for the right of the people to keep and bear arms; and

Whereas, the primary purpose of the right to keep and bear arms is to protect oneself and one’s family and possessions from either the private lawlessness of other people or the tyranny of government; and

Whereas, the right to keep and bear arms is also meant to protect the general private uses of firearms in activities such as hunting and in other sporting activities; and

Whereas, the United States Supreme Court, in District of Columbia v. Heller, 128 S.Ct. 2783 (2008), struck down a firearms ban in the District of Columbia, explicitly ruling that the Second Amendment protects the right of the people to possess firearms for private use; and

Whereas, despite this ruling, legislation has been introduced in the United States House of Representatives calling for a system of mandatory federal licensing of all firearms owners; and

Whereas, the introduced legislation would require all firearms owners to apply for and carry a federally issued picture identification in order to keep any firearm in their homes; and

Whereas, this legislation would make it a federal crime to keep a loaded firearm or an unloaded firearm and ammunition within any premises, including, under certain circumstances, American homes where a child might be present; and

Whereas, this legislation specifically purports to preempt any state or local law inconsistent with it; and

Whereas, the introduced legislation, Blair Holt’s Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009, is a direct imposition on the individual right of all Americans to keep and bear arms in their homes for their protection.

Wherefore your memorialist, the House of Representatives of the State of Arizona, the Senate concurring, prays:

1. That the United States Congress oppose the passage of the Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009, or any similar legislation, that would impinge on the individual right of every American to keep and bear arms in any manner.

2. That the Secretary of State of the State of Arizona transmit copies of this Memorial to the President of the United States Senate, the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives and each Member of Congress from the State of Arizona.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

DC Founder
    Hopefully, this kind of thing will continue to catch on among the states.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    Hopefully, this kind of thing will continue to catch on among the states.
    Well, Montana tried, but HR-3 failed on 2nd reading in the House.

The Legislature has adjourned, so it's a dead issue, at least until 2011.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    There are a couple of other bills in the AZ senate that would allow more freedom for CCW permittees and other law abiding carriers which I have written my representatives about. (For you Arizonans, I am in the Weiers/Quelland/Gray district so I probably didn't need to bother...they are super conservative anyway!)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I'm here in with you.

This may sound silly but, whom should I contact?

Public safety committee? Senators? Congressmen? Which sponsors?

Do you have names or numbers?

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Contact your elected representatives. You need to find which legislative and congressional district you are in.

You can find that here: How to Contact Member

Then you can look up your legislators and email or call them. Whether they are for it or against it, I recommend calling and emailing them and letting them know your thoughts and desire for them to support this resolution. There are a couple of other common sense Senate bills on firearms (like allowing carry in restaurants) that you might want to comment on as well.

FYI, I have Doug Quelland in my district, and he emailed me back in about 10 minutes.

It's always a good idea to dialog with your elected representatives. :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Thanks.

Sponsored Links