Defensive Carry banner

NY Legislation passed

3K views 45 replies 35 participants last post by  Jmac00 
#1 ·
#2 ·
If this doesn't create some housing vacancies, I don't know what will...:confused:

Move now and avoid the rush...:hand10:

#21 ·
I have some, but the Mods would slap me for using them.

This is a bunch of crap they are trying to disguise as safety and crime reduction.

I heard it said, and I think it was here, gun control is not about guns; its about control.

#6 ·
From the text of the bill:

38 3. WITHIN THIRTY DAYS OF THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS SECTION, ANY
39 PERSON, INCLUDING A LICENSED FIREARM DEALER, WHO HAS IN HIS OR HER LEGAL
40 POSSESSION A USED 50-CALIBER WEAPON SHALL PERSONALLY DELIVER SUCH WEAPON
41 TO THE DIVISION OF STATE POLICE, AND UPON TRANSFERRING OWNERSHIP AND
42 POSSESSION TO A DULY DESIGNATED OFFICER THEREOF, SHALL BE ENTITLED TO
43 RECEIVE PAYMENT IN AN AMOUNT EQUAL TO THE FAIR MARKET VALUE OF SUCH
44 WEAPON, BUT NOT TO EXCEED EIGHT THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS.
Of course, $8,500 doesn't cover the base price of, say, a Barrett M82.

We as gun owners need to push back against this legislation hard. This is, potentially, a first step toward a total gun ban.

Make no mistake - if they can lawfully confiscate .50 cal rifles and pistols today, they can confiscate your "assault weapon" tomorrow, and every gun you own the next day.

Matt

#8 ·
Let's see, we've got:
1. potential confiscation "and creates a program to recall those currently legally owned"
2. forced price increases "be childproof .... and capable of microstamping ammunition"
3. tax/fee/licensing increases to track both of the abaove
4. Can't get what you want? Re-brand it! "Add to the definition of assault weapon to include additional weapons"

And people still ask why I left NY and never looked back.

The only potentially good thing in that mess is the child weapons safety training. But that assumes it was something covering safety and familiarization. Unfortunately I imagine it will be more along the lines of "Guns are evil! They kill everything! They should be banned! But since they aren't call the police if you see mommy or daddy handling one (It's for their own safety)!".

#10 ·
Man, I'm sure glad I don't live in NY!!!:hand1:

I'd definately be headed out if I did. Adding to the list of "assault weapons", prohibiting the sale of, and confiscating .50 cal guns. These two items on the list are unconstitutional. There is no other way to look at it.:aargh4:

#13 ·
Man, I'm sure glad I don't live in NY!!!:hand1:

I'd definately be headed out if I did. Adding to the list of "assault weapons", prohibiting the sale of, and confiscating .50 cal guns. These two items on the list are unconstitutional. There is no other way to look at it.:aargh4:
The constitution means nothing to them, it's just a piece of old yellow paper.

#12 ·
New York is one of the safest states in the nation? Safest compared to what? D.C or Chicago? What a load of BS! If its one of the safest now why then ban more guns?

#20 ·
As soon as my kids are out of school, Arizona, or Colorado, maybe Texas.:danceban:

#22 ·
Don't forget, it still needs to be passed by the NY State Senate as well. As of now this appears unlikely, but I urge all fellow NY State residents to write to their state senators.

If you are not sure who your NY State Senator is, you can search by zip code, here:

http://www.senate.state.ny.us/sdlookup.nsf/Public_search?OpenForm

Make your voice heard and contact them!

#23 ·
I know it still has another hurdle, I looked last night and Tonko and Amidore voted no on the issue for the assemble. The senate needs to here from upstate New Yorkers, some of the bills are unconstitutional to begin with.

#24 ·
New York is an example of what can happen in other states where firearms owners are not vigilant. At best firearms owners in NY have been reduced to conduct a holding action to prevent the anti-2nd amendment legislation that is proposed every year from being passed by the state senate. My state legislator won't even respond to the e-mail I send to him regarding firearms issues and votes to pass every new piece of trash firearms legislation that's presented each year.

#25 ·
C'mon fellow NYers....... write your senate rep and tell them the danger of this bill.....

NY is what it is...... and if I didn't own a beautiful country piece of 140 acres of the place I'd be gone in a second...... but sadly in this economy I won't get anywhere near what the place is worth......

So my license might have to renewed in 5 years..... OK I'll deal with that..... I don't own anything .50 caliber, I don't own any long guns at all.....so that won't make me move out if this gets passed......

It is a bad sign in stomping the 2a into oblivion......but lets see if it gets passed.

#26 ·
It may not affect you now but when they shove this down our throats it will only be a small piece of the poison pie they are feeding us. Rights are lost one step at a time until we have none, so allowing this to go by will only serve to hurt us the next time around. We need to get people to understand and vote these people out of office ASAP.

#30 · (Edited)
I may be wrong,but didn't Brigham Young try to live in NY,
and they ran his but out of there,All the way to Utah,speaking of which,there is no ban on 50 cal or for that fact,they have fully automatic stuff out there,Mule deer just stroll across the roads leading to the various gun clubs out there.I wonder what would happen if some mule deer wound up in central park.

#33 ·
Does anyone else find it odd that the only "Criminal" part of these bills is the Law Abiding Citizen?

There is not ONE WORD in any of these Bills about making the REAL BAD GUYS pay a higher price for the ILLEGAL use of a firearm.

I wonder why that is? maybe this IS about control............of the people.:aargh4:

If things get worse, I will have to transfer my firearms to my IN-LAWS in another state

#35 ·
One of the recent bills passed by the legislature and pending passage by the state senate is a bill that allows the state to confiscate 50 caliber weapons from individuals that lawfully and legally purchased these weapons. Compensation to those individuals will be "fair market value" with no indication of how that is to be determined.

I don't own a 50 caliber weapon BUT past history shows that the legislature if successful in their attempt to confiscate these legally owned firearms will NOT stop there. Given the number of NYS firearms owners that belong to the NRA and NYSRPA I don't think many of the them "get it".

I spoke to a co-worker that is a NYS pistol license holder this week. He can tell you everything there is no know about the mechanics of the pistols and rifles he owns but didn't have a clue as to the legislation being proposed this year and the looming threats to our 2nd amendment rights. After filling him in on some of the draconian measures being proposed I gave him the url for the NYSRPA and said "you need to sign up" which he did, which means he'll get the newsletters and legislative alerts that will help keep him informed and hopefully fire him up to join the fight against the push to disarm law abiding citizens.

NY is one of those states at the far left of the spectrum. The Heller decision was a help (prevents the total banning for privately owned firearms) but the NYS legislature is going to push and push and push to see just how far they can take the gun grabbing before a major lawsuit forces them to stop. Until then firearms owners in the state need to do a better job of educating the general public (at least those that will listen) and our brother firearms owners that are clueless about the importance of the 2nd amendment and the threat it faces in this state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.