South Carolina S593

This is a discussion on South Carolina S593 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Sejune S. 347 still addresses this issue of locking your weapon in a car on campus, what are your thoughts on this ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Carolina S593

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    S. 347 still addresses this issue of locking your weapon in a car on campus, what are your thoughts on this bill? Think it will be stripped down?
    Im not sure the status of this bill. Im sure GR will let us know when to be working it.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    No, this will not help your daughter. Trust me, it seems good and I guess it is but it really was ammended in the worst way. You will not be allowed to leave your weapon in a locked vehicle.

What this law will do is allow folks to go go on school grounds to pick up or drop off their kids without being a felon. The catch is that the weapon must be in a glovebox or console as the law currently stands for folks who do not have a CWP.

Whats bad for CWP holders is the new law makes one handle the weapon in the car. I carry my weapon on my hip at 3:30-4:00 so now before I get on school property I am going to have to take the gun off my person and put it in a glove box or in the console.

Then as I get off school property, if I want to carry it on me Ill have to handle the weapon with kids in the car.

The law isnt really enforced by our locals anyway. The police have said that they know folks come on the schools property with weapons all the time, expecially during hunting seasons.

They just choose not to enforce it.

Still its a small bite and gives us something to work with next session.

Now if we can get carry passed for eating establishments that serve drinks.
    Ah then this is not the one I was thinking of (or its been changed to a large extent) from what I was hoping for.

It is a shame really. Many of these teachers and faculty and staff etc live a long ways from the school and have to travel the entire distance and places they go before and after school just to obey the existing law.

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    S. 347 still addresses this issue of locking your weapon in a car on campus, what are your thoughts on this bill? Think it will be stripped down?
    Thats probably the one I was thinking off.... says its still in committee as well

Bill Information - South Carolina Legislature Online

Yes, still in committee. I think it will be ammended as well or just killed altogether.

What really sucks is that it only takes one legislator to kill a bill.
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Yes... a typical move it to contest a bill. And all it takes is one member who can get two others to join in and contest a Bill. Then it takes either a super majority (the number and method escapes me right off hand) to bring it to the floor or it has to lay in wait until they take up the Contested Calender at the end of all other bills. Well... they rarely, if ever, have time to even take on the Contested Calender. And so it dies. It will be automatically held over until the next legislative year, while remaining on the contested calender but then, if its not forced out that second year it dies completely and has to be reintroduced.

So just a couple can completely block and stall a Bill and it takes more than a couple to get it going again.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    No, this will not help your daughter. Trust me, it seems good and I guess it is but it really was ammended in the worst way. You will not be allowed to leave your weapon in a locked vehicle.
    That is not how I read the legislation...

Section 16-23-430. (1)(A) It shall be unlawful for any person, except state, county, or municipal law enforcement officers or personnel authorized by school officials, to carry on his person, while on any elementary or secondary school property, a knife, with a blade over two inches long, a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, firearms, or any other type of weapon, device, or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death.

(B) This section does not apply to a person who is authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 when the weapon remains inside an attended or locked motor vehicle and is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle.
    It looks like so long as the vehicle is locked you may keep the weapon inside the vehicle if it is unattended
    "Deeds Not Words" - Motto of the USS Gettysburg
    NRA Life Member
    http://www.alioofficium.com/ (Personal Responsibility)

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoHD View Post
    That is not how I read the legislation...

It looks like so long as the vehicle is locked you may keep the weapon inside the vehicle if it is unattended
    That is a great find. I must have read over that little tid bit there.

Thanks for pointing that out.
    New tunes added.

I come from the Reagan school of thought...

Trust but verify.. :D
    "Deeds Not Words" - Motto of the USS Gettysburg
    NRA Life Member
    http://www.alioofficium.com/ (Personal Responsibility)

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoHD View Post
    I thought I had read that. If they leave that in, it's a GOOD thing.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

"Now if we can get carry passed for eating establishments that serve drinks."

I hope that happens here as well in AZ. Nothing gets me more irate than not being allowed to CC in a restaurant that serves alcohol.

Its just another no-gun zone that will allow criminals to come in and have their way. I don't even need to drink, just maybe have a good burger.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links