South Carolina S593

This is a discussion on South Carolina S593 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well we got close to what we wanted. You'll be able to have your weapon in the car with you on school grounds but you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina S593

South Carolina S593

Well we got close to what we wanted. You'll be able to have your weapon in the car with you on school grounds but you wont be able to have it on your person.

Glove Box or Console...

Discuss.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That's good news, noot great, but good.

Is it still in Committee AA?

I think it is now on the Senate floor. They ammended it there.
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

That's better than before, right? Good news!

We're able to have a handgun in the vehicle on school grounds if we stay in the car with the weapon and dropping off or picking up only, but not to leave the vehicle.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Outstanding AA. I appreciate the efforts of Grass Roots. Matter of fact. I just joined. I'm originally from C'field. Parent are still there. I will be up that way next week. I'll make sure to recruit my Dad while I'm there.

Well, while its not everything that we wanted, its still a step in the right direction. Grassroots does good work.
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Appreciate the effort and I am sure someone will point out to our lawmakers how it is only a few inches difference and usually more accessible in a console than on a belt in the vehicle.
    Again thanks for the great job you guys do.

Well this would be a big advantage to my Daughter in law that teaches school. So she could leave her Carry gun in the car locked up, which she cannot even do now. I am pushing for it for sure. Anything is better than nothing... one step at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Well this would be a big advantage to my Daughter in law that teaches school. So she could leave her Carry gun in the car locked up, which she cannot even do now. I am pushing for it for sure. Anything is better than nothing... one step at a time.
    No, this will not help your daughter. Trust me, it seems good and I guess it is but it really was ammended in the worst way. You will not be allowed to leave your weapon in a locked vehicle.

What this law will do is allow folks to go go on school grounds to pick up or drop off their kids without being a felon. The catch is that the weapon must be in a glovebox or console as the law currently stands for folks who do not have a CWP.

Whats bad for CWP holders is the new law makes one handle the weapon in the car. I carry my weapon on my hip at 3:30-4:00 so now before I get on school property I am going to have to take the gun off my person and put it in a glove box or in the console.

Then as I get off school property, if I want to carry it on me Ill have to handle the weapon with kids in the car.

The law isnt really enforced by our locals anyway. The police have said that they know folks come on the schools property with weapons all the time, expecially during hunting seasons.

They just choose not to enforce it.

Still its a small bite and gives us something to work with next session.

Now if we can get carry passed for eating establishments that serve drinks.
    New tunes added.

Quote Originally Posted by MWatson35 View Post
    Outstanding AA. I appreciate the efforts of Grass Roots. Matter of fact. I just joined. I'm originally from C'field. Parent are still there. I will be up that way next week. I'll make sure to recruit my Dad while I'm there.
    Good deal. Tell your parents if they need some AC work done to call me LOL.
    New tunes added.

This is good news to me. I am returning college student, and I have been in school again since '07. I have had to disarm at home before even going to school every day. This forces me to be defenseless from home, to college, and back. I'm married, 33 with a 3 yo daughter at home = long honey do lists to and from school. At least this way I can keep my gun with me for the round trip. Is it perfect? No, far from it, but it is a step in the right direction and now I can at least have it with me to and from school.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    This is good news to me. I am returning college student, and I have been in school again since '07. I have had to disarm at home before even going to school every day. This forces me to be defenseless from home, to college, and back. I'm married, 33 with a 3 yo daughter at home = long honey do lists to and from school. At least this way I can keep my gun with me for the round trip. Is it perfect? No, far from it, but it is a step in the right direction and now I can at least have it with me to and from school.
    Are you going to leave your weapon in the car while its parked on school grounds? If so, you'll still be committing a felony.

This is for folks to drive through and drop off their kids. The gun must be in the car and the car must not be left unattended.

So let me explian it again: The new law will allow one to drive onto school property and have a gun in the glove box or console. You will not be allowed to exit your vehicle with the gun on you OR leave the car with the gun in the glove box. This law is strictly for driving through the parking lot to drop off or pick up.

The stupid part of the law is that a CWP holder will have to remove the gun from his person and place it in a glove box or console thus having to expose the weapon while doing so.

Then the CWP holder will have to re-arm in front of the kids riding in the car upon leaving the school (of course they could leave it in the glove box).

This causes unneccessary handling of the weapon in the vehicle.
    New tunes added.

Gotcha...well I guess this serves no purpose for me then. That is just a stupid, pointless law. I didn't understand you at first, now it's clear. Well, great, guess I'll have to continue my unarmed semester in August.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

S. 347 still addresses this issue of locking your weapon in a car on campus, what are your thoughts on this bill? Think it will be stripped down?
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links