Defensive Carry banner

South Carolina S593

3K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  mi2az 
#1 ·
Well we got close to what we wanted. You'll be able to have your weapon in the car with you on school grounds but you wont be able to have it on your person.

Glove Box or Console...

Discuss.

#5 ·
That's better than before, right? Good news!

We're able to have a handgun in the vehicle on school grounds if we stay in the car with the weapon and dropping off or picking up only, but not to leave the vehicle.

#7 ·
Well, while its not everything that we wanted, its still a step in the right direction. Grassroots does good work.

#10 ·
No, this will not help your daughter. Trust me, it seems good and I guess it is but it really was ammended in the worst way. You will not be allowed to leave your weapon in a locked vehicle.

What this law will do is allow folks to go go on school grounds to pick up or drop off their kids without being a felon. The catch is that the weapon must be in a glovebox or console as the law currently stands for folks who do not have a CWP.

Whats bad for CWP holders is the new law makes one handle the weapon in the car. I carry my weapon on my hip at 3:30-4:00 so now before I get on school property I am going to have to take the gun off my person and put it in a glove box or in the console.

Then as I get off school property, if I want to carry it on me Ill have to handle the weapon with kids in the car.

The law isnt really enforced by our locals anyway. The police have said that they know folks come on the schools property with weapons all the time, expecially during hunting seasons.

They just choose not to enforce it.

Still its a small bite and gives us something to work with next session.

Now if we can get carry passed for eating establishments that serve drinks.

#12 ·
This is good news to me. I am returning college student, and I have been in school again since '07. I have had to disarm at home before even going to school every day. This forces me to be defenseless from home, to college, and back. I'm married, 33 with a 3 yo daughter at home = long honey do lists to and from school. At least this way I can keep my gun with me for the round trip. Is it perfect? No, far from it, but it is a step in the right direction and now I can at least have it with me to and from school.

#13 ·
Are you going to leave your weapon in the car while its parked on school grounds? If so, you'll still be committing a felony.

This is for folks to drive through and drop off their kids. The gun must be in the car and the car must not be left unattended.

So let me explian it again: The new law will allow one to drive onto school property and have a gun in the glove box or console. You will not be allowed to exit your vehicle with the gun on you OR leave the car with the gun in the glove box. This law is strictly for driving through the parking lot to drop off or pick up.

The stupid part of the law is that a CWP holder will have to remove the gun from his person and place it in a glove box or console thus having to expose the weapon while doing so.

Then the CWP holder will have to re-arm in front of the kids riding in the car upon leaving the school (of course they could leave it in the glove box).

This causes unneccessary handling of the weapon in the vehicle.

#14 ·
Gotcha...well I guess this serves no purpose for me then. That is just a stupid, pointless law. I didn't understand you at first, now it's clear. Well, great, guess I'll have to continue my unarmed semester in August. :rant:

#20 ·
Yes... a typical move it to contest a bill. And all it takes is one member who can get two others to join in and contest a Bill. Then it takes either a super majority (the number and method escapes me right off hand) to bring it to the floor or it has to lay in wait until they take up the Contested Calender at the end of all other bills. Well... they rarely, if ever, have time to even take on the Contested Calender. And so it dies. It will be automatically held over until the next legislative year, while remaining on the contested calender but then, if its not forced out that second year it dies completely and has to be reintroduced.

So just a couple can completely block and stall a Bill and it takes more than a couple to get it going again.

#25 ·
"Now if we can get carry passed for eating establishments that serve drinks."

I hope that happens here as well in AZ. Nothing gets me more irate than not being allowed to CC in a restaurant that serves alcohol.

Its just another no-gun zone that will allow criminals to come in and have their way. I don't even need to drink, just maybe have a good burger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.