What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?

This is a discussion on What are your thoughts? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't live in Shreveport, but I was reading their newspaper recently and saw the article copied below. Simply put, the local police chief is ...

Thread: What are your thoughts?

VIP Member

What are your thoughts?

I don't live in Shreveport, but I was reading their newspaper recently and saw the article copied below. Simply put, the local police chief is pushing for this ordinance draft, and it's an apparent registry for people who have been convicted of gun-related crimes. It's not for weapons registration.

A few things come to mind for me immediately:
    1. If this ordinance passes, then it could be a stepping-stone for future weapon's licensing, weapons permits, etc.
    2. It's unlikely that the offenders would abide in notifying the registry of their whereabouts.
    3. I think it's essentially a "feel good" attempt, like so many other ideas, AKA more bureaucracy.
    4. The article states it is in use in NYC and Baltimore.

LA- Police chief considers gun-offender registry
    4-25-2009 Louisiana:

Law would be similar to registry for sex offenders.

Offering the latest in a flurry of ideas to combat Shreveport's spike in gun violence, Police Chief Henry Whitehorn has prepared a draft ordinance introducing a gun offender registry similar to that for the state's sex offenders.

The registry would require people convicted of gun-related crimes to register with police to let them know where they are living. Eventually, it could turn into a public online registry with photographs and statistics. The measure would allow residents to find out whether they are living near someone who has been convicted of a gun-related crime, including homicides, aggravated assaults and drive-by shootings.

"As part of our strategy to keeping Shreveport safe, we were searching for solutions to insure gun offenders are taken off the streets and this is one piece that would be a part of a solution," Whitehorn said.

"It's not just Shreveport. Anyone who is paying attention realizes that this is happening all over."

As with sex offenders, individuals would have to pre-register by filling out paperwork in court.

Upon release from prison or after being convicted, they'd have deadlines to register their name, aliases and their address to police and give them a photo.

Offenders also would have to update their information with authorities every so often, Whitehorn said. Failure to comply with the registration could lead to criminal charges and violators could face jail time, a fine or both.
    The program would be modeled after one that began in New York City two years ago, and it would be the first of its kind in Louisiana. Baltimore also has it.

"I haven't introduced it yet, but it's something that I mentioned during a recent law enforcement summit to get feedback and see what others thought," Whitehorn said. "I didn't get any negative responses. How could anyone be against something that will make our city safe?"

The registry would be a proactive approach to deter illegal gun possession and recidivism. A felon is prohibited by federal and state laws from owning or possessing any firearm. Whitehorn says many people who are arrested for gun-related violence are repeat offenders.

The chief plans to present his draft at an upcoming public safety meeting and from there, it could go to the City Council. He said he realizes there could be opposition to starting the registry, but he believes the idea is worth pursuing.

"It's always hurdles, particularly when people feel as though you are trying to take part of their constitutional rights," Whitehorn said. "This will not have any effect on the general population, just the criminal element, a small part of population that's creating the problems. That's the target group.

"It's strictly for those violent gun offenders. You are not registering weapons, but offenders who have been involved in violent crimes."

Katherine Wafer with the Criminal Justice Police Coalition, a nonprofit advocacy group for reform of laws on how much information about offenders should be made public, said the idea could be problematic.

"I would be concerned that this type of law would have an opposite effect than what is intended. It could be used to marginalize people and keep them on the outskirts of society."

The chief plans to present his draft at an upcoming public safety meeting and from there, it could go to the City Council. He said he realizes there could be opposition to starting the registry, but he believes the idea is worth pursuing.

"It's always hurdles, particularly when people feel as though you are trying to take part of their constitutional rights," Whitehorn said. "This will not have any effect on the general population, just the criminal element, a small part of population that's creating the problems. That's the target group.

"It's strictly for those violent gun offenders. You are not registering weapons, but offenders who have been involved in violent crimes."

Katherine Wafer with the Criminal Justice Police Coalition, a nonprofit advocacy group for reform of laws on how much information about offenders should be made public, said the idea could be problematic.

"I would be concerned that this type of law would have an opposite effect than what is intended. It could be used to marginalize people and keep them on the outskirts of society." ..News Source.. by Loresha Wilson
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I would think current procedures for keeping track of violent gun-using felons are working just fine.

I've got another idea that just may work for those convicted of violent gun crimes: How's about keeping them locked away from society and then you won't have to bother registering them, Shreveport?
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I would think current procedures for keeping track of violent gun-using felons are working just fine.
    +1

As the OP said, I would worry that it would be used as a stepping stone to more...open-ended measures.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

I believe all convicted criminals should be required to register in this manner, guns or not. However, I would guess that wouldn't pass muster with the ACLU or liberals running the asylum. Having said that, singling out crimes committed with guns bothers me a great deal. The slope is too slippery for any Police Chief (what with political pressure they deal with I assume), especially one in LA. Just .02.

A useless waste of time and money.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I wonder how long the registration line will be?
    Why do 'politicians' insist on making more laws that criminals do not follow?

Eventually, it's only the law-abiding citizen who is adversely effected in some negative way.
    Just arm all the good citizens, offer training and ammo...we'll take care of ourselves.

Stay armed...24/7...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Once again, a polititian shows us that they really have no clue.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Links