The continuing saga of the Tennessee restuarant bill - latest

This is a discussion on The continuing saga of the Tennessee restuarant bill - latest within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It sure is nice to have John Harris of TFA working for us - for free, I might add, and this just in as they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The continuing saga of the Tennessee restuarant bill - latest

Senior Moderator

The continuing saga of the Tennessee restuarant bill - latest

It sure is nice to have John Harris of TFA working for us - for free, I might add, and this just in as they say:

Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc. Legislative Action Committee:
    House Bill 0962 came out of conference committee this afternoon. It is being reported back based on the Senate version which has no restrictions. All Senators voted for the Senate version. The House voted 3 to 2 with Bass, Casada and Todd voting for the Senate version and Armstrong and McCord voting no. McCord did state during the debates that he would vote no in committee as to the Senate version but that he would vote in favor of the bill on the floor whatever final form it might take.
    This is the link to the conference committee video.
    Conference Committee HB0962 -- SB1127
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

What's the next step ? Is it alive ?

Senior Moderator
    Well, it's breathing. If I remember correctly, it goes back to the House and possibly the Senate for another vote. The Senate passed it overwhelmingly so the only issue is what the House is gonna do this time.

We need to email and call our reps!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I have been following this closely for months and am getting frustrated with how our politicians seem to take forever to get anything done.

Will do Tangle.

Both Houses are scheduled to vote on this on Thursday.
    Rep. Todd left the conference committee yesterday after it passed, to try and get it on the agenda for yesterday's vote in the full House. For some reason it was not included in yesterday's vote, so it was put off until Thursday. That gives the antis 2 days to gather their forces and try to stop the bill. But then the same can be said for the pro-gun forces as well.
    If you haven't called your Representative, now is the time to do it. This is the closest we have ever come to getting a bill like this passed and we should know in a couple of days how it goes.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

One Step Closer... The TN House just voted 66 to 23 to adopt the Conference Committee Report as the action of the House. IANAL, but I think this means it goes to the Gov. Since the version that passed the Senate was adopted by the Conference Comm. does it have to be voted on again in the Senate?? If the Governor signs this, it will go ito effect on June 30.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spydad View Post
    One Step Closer... The TN House just voted 66 to 23 to adopt the Conference Committee Report as the action of the House. IANAL, but I think this means it goes to the Gov. Since the version that passed the Senate was adopted by the Conference Comm. does it have to be voted on again in the Senate?? If the Governor signs this, it will go ito effect on June 30.
    Yes, the Senate must vote on it again...prospects do look good, since it is the same bill the Senate voted for 26-7 a short while back (and basically what the Senate has passed every year for several years). The Governor will have three options:
    1) sign, and it goes into effect 1 June (that is the date I have heard), or
    2) not sign it, but allow it to become law without his signature (which it does after ten days IIRC), and it goes into effect 1 June, or
    3) veto it, in which case both houses must override by a majority-only vote, and it probably still becomes law by 1 June.

This looks pretty good for us, but be certain to look at the provisions of the bill. The curfew and age-restriction provisions were removed, but I understand an attempt has been made to define what a restaurant "is" in the conference report. "Honky-tonks" will probably still be off limits.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Going to the Governor--TN Senate agreed eariler this morning to accept the Conference Committee report. Common Sense prevails this time!!

Yippy!!!!!!
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

While this is all good, knowledgeable sources are saying that the Governor's office is keeping a "tally" of yeahs and nays as to whether the Governor should sign this legislation into law. So if you have any interest in the right to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol in Tennessee, you need to email the Governor:
    Phil.Bredesen@tn.gov
    and/or call him at: 615.741.2001
    The Governor should sign this into law to avoid the aggravation of going back to the legislature and endure a veto override. Get 'er done!!
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

Email sent to the Governor tonight

Sent!
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." ~Thomas Jefferson~

"...Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." ~Nehemiah 4:14~

Email to Gov sent
    02PSD4ME

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Email sent to the Governor tonight
    I also phoned the Governors office this morning and asked the lady that answered to pass along my request that he sign this bill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links