Gun Legislation Storm Looming - New Zealand

This is a discussion on Gun Legislation Storm Looming - New Zealand within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; why would three police officers serve a warrant on a drug dealer and not be armed?? What good is new gun laws going to do ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun Legislation Storm Looming - New Zealand

why would three police officers serve a warrant on a drug dealer and not be armed?? What good is new gun laws going to do in a case like this where the BG could care less about the law???
    Yes I wondered that myself, here in NZ our police dont routinely carry firearms, although they are available for situations when they arise.

Pretty useless consdiering a situation can happen anytime anywhere.

The fact this guy was known to police, they knew he previously had a firearms licence and that he was ex Military and was into drugs, begs the question what the hell were they thinking ?

The officer who was killed was a veteren of 25 years and was an Ex AOS (SWAT equivalent) member.

You actually need a valid firearms licence here in NZ to purchase ammunition so the fact he had all that was a stash in criminal terms.

But yes my legal stash is alot larger also than this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    We're preaching to the choir here boys and girls. Criminals don't obey laws because they're, ..........wait for it, ..............CRIMINALS!!!!!!

Politicians are just waiting for any incident to occur to make us "safer" from each other and ourselves. We had that in Montreal in 1989 when Marc Lepine went into a University and killed 14 women, wounded ten more women and four men before taking his own life. He used a Mini 14. That opened a Pandora's Box that still going to this day. First they banned/restricted almost anything that looked military, banned high cap mags, and then brought in registration. However, the Mini 14 is still available as an unrestricted rifle in Canada.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I couldn't agree more, GunnyBunny. It's been said before but gun control is about control, not guns.

heylin, has any legislation been submitted or is that storm still off on the horizon? Either way, and for what it's worth, good luck.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

heylin, has any legislation been submitted or is that storm still off on the horizon? Either way, and for what it's worth, good luck.
    Still on the horizon, but history has shown it doesnt take long for them to jump on the bandwagon.

We had a mass shooting back in the 1990's (David Grey - Aramoana Shooting) shortly after that the firearms licensing laws changed from lifetime licence to 10 year renewals.

No idea why, didnt make sense, as much sense as changing the laws now after this shooting.

I think any changes will affect the A Cat holders (Rifle, shotgun etc) rather than us B Cat people (Pistol licence) our checks and rules are already pretty stringent.

We also have a group called COLFOL who backs NZ Pistol Shooting, they apprently have ties to UN, any rule changes that would kill our sport would be defended and hopefully quashed.
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Let's face it...

Stupidity is international!
    Truest thing I've read so far today...

I'm sorry, but if your politicians can't look to your neighbors in Australia and see what kind of effect gun bans have had on their crime statistics, they are morons!

These people don't care about the populace, only in how they can gain more power and more votes by building upon tragedies such as this. What's saddest of all is the people who will believe whatever they are told by these people and still vote for them.

I wish you luck in any upcoming storms that are coming your way. I used to have a very good friend in Auckland years ago who enjoyed shooting. I would hate to think of her rights being taken away because some criminal decided to use his illegally procured firearms in a way that is already illegal to use them.

Yep, so more laws would've definitely changed that situation, and the drug dealer would've decided that instead of selling drugs, he would be better off selling cookies door to door instead...
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Took the police 3 days? and the guy off'd himself? To me, that is an embarrassment....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Most of that stuff is already illegal in the Peoples Republic of New York.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links