Stumbled across some NY Legislation..

This is a discussion on Stumbled across some NY Legislation.. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Did you know that your Glock with a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is now considered an Assault Weapon in NY? Heck, even ...

Thread: Stumbled across some NY Legislation..

Stumbled across some NY Legislation..

Did you know that your Glock with a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is now considered an Assault Weapon in NY? Heck, even the handgun to the left of this would be considered an Assault Weapon (14+1 capacity)

Scary times...

Assembly Passes Comprehensive Gun Package
    Bills Will Help Police Track Illegal Guns, Ban Armor-Piercing Ammunition

Lentol Lentol
    Paulin Paulin
    Weisenberg Weisenberg

Englebright Englebright
    Schimel Schimel
    Koon Koon

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and Assembly Codes Committee Chair Joseph Lentol today announced the Assembly's passage of a legislative package to combat gun violence. The bills will enhance safety by assisting police in their efforts to investigate illegal firearms, prohibiting felons from buying guns, requiring child-proof devices on guns and banning advanced firearms and ammunition used to kill police officers.

"New York is one of the safest states in the nation and it must stay that way," said Silver (D-Manhattan). To achieve this, we must craft laws that prevent dangerous felons from possessing weapons while assisting law enforcement agencies as they combat gun trafficking. Although the majority of gun owners are law-abiding citizens, we must ensure that guns do not fall into the hands of violent felons or children. This package contains bills that address public safety, while weighing the needs of hunters and sportspeople."

Silver added that this year's legislation, considered this week in recognition of National Crime Victims Week, was introduced in remembrance of the tenth anniversary of the 1999 Columbine High School shooting and the 13 victims of the recent shooting in Binghamton.

"Last year, the Assembly successfully passed legislation which was enacted that creates a comprehensive database to help prevent people suffering from serious mental illnesses from purchasing guns," said Lentol (D-Brooklyn). "This year, we will continue pushing for smart gun laws to protect communities across New York. Today's legislation sets important record keeping and reporting standards for gun dealers and pawn shops and prohibits the sale of ammunition which serves no practical purpose yet possesses the capacity to pierce through protective bulletproof vests. Additionally, our legislation helps police investigate gun-related crimes through manufacturer identification of firearms."

One bill requires the re-licensing and recertification of firearms permits after five years (A.801A/Paulin). This will help ensure that licensing authorities have the oversight they need to protect the public while balancing the legitimate constitutional rights of gun owners. Another bill creates the Children's Weapon Accident Protection Act which requires that there be a weapons-safety program for schoolchildren and creates crimes of failing to safely store firearms (A.5844/Weisenberg).

The legislative package also addresses public safety by requiring all firearms sold in the state to be childproof (A.1326/Englebright) and capable of microstamping ammunition (A.6468/Schimel), and by instituting background checks for firearms sold at pawn shops (A.7574/Hoyt). Another bill requires stringent recordkeeping and reporting of gun sales, liability insurance and employee training for gunsmiths to prevent the sale of guns through so-called "straw purchases" (A.1093/Paulin).

Other measures in the Assembly gun package would:

* Protect the safety of law enforcement personnel by prohibiting the sale and ownership of ammunition designed to fragment or explode upon impact and pierce body armor (A.2881/Koon);
    * Require law enforcement authorities to record projectiles, shell casings and guns in their possession which they suspect were used in a gun crime into an electronic databank (A.2882A/Koon);
    * Ban the sale, use or possession of 50-caliber or larger weapons, and creates a program to recall those currently legally owned (A.3211A/Eddington);
    * Define a "disguised gun" to include those weapons designed and intended to appear to be a toy gun and ban their production and sale. (A.5078/Lentol);
    * Encourage responsible gun ownership by establishing a standard firearms safety course for people applying for a gun license (A.3076B/Kavanagh);
    * Add to the definition of assault weapon to include additional weapons (A.6157/Titone); and
    * Empower courts to revoke licenses and seize weapons of certain individuals who could present a threat to the public (A.7733/Lupardo).
    Assembly Passes Comprehensive Gun Package

Heres where your handguns are now Assault weapons...
    22. "ASSAULT WEAPON" MEANS ANY:
    6 (A) SEMI-AUTOMATIC OR PUMP-ACTION RIFLE THAT HAS THE CAPACITY TO
    7 ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND HAS ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING:
    8 (I) A PISTOL GRIP;
    9 (II) A SECOND HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE
    10 NON-TRIGGER HAND;
    11 (III) A FOLDING, TELESCOPING OR THUMBHOLE STOCK;
    12 (IV) A SHROUD ATTACHED TO THE BARREL, OR THAT PARTIALLY OR COMPLETELY
    13 ENCIRCLES THE BARREL, ALLOWING THE BEARER TO HOLD THE FIREARM WITH THE
    14 NON-TRIGGER HAND WITHOUT BEING BURNED, BUT EXCLUDING A SLIDE THAT
    15 ENCLOSES THE BARREL; OR
    16 (V) A MUZZLE BRAKE OR MUZZLE COMPENSATOR;
    17 (B) SEMI-AUTOMATIC PISTOL, OR ANY SEMI-AUTOMATIC, CENTERFIRE RIFLE
    18 WITH A FIXED MAGAZINE, THAT HAS THE CAPACITY TO ACCEPT MORE THAN TEN
    19 ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION;

20 (C) SEMI-AUTOMATIC PISTOL THAT HAS THE CAPACITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE
    21 MAGAZINE AND HAS ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING:
    22 (I) A SECOND HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE
    23 NON-TRIGGER HAND;
    24 (II) A FOLDING, TELESCOPING OR THUMBHOLE STOCK;
    25 (III) A SHROUD ATTACHED TO THE BARREL, OR THAT PARTIALLY OR COMPLETELY
    26 ENCIRCLES THE BARREL, ALLOWING THE BEARER TO HOLD THE FIREARM WITH THE
    27 NON-TRIGGER HAND WITHOUT BEING BURNED, BUT EXCLUDING A SLIDE THAT
    28 ENCLOSES THE BARREL;
    29 (IV) A MUZZLE BRAKE OR MUZZLE COMPENSATOR; OR
    30 (V) THE CAPACITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AT ANY LOCATION
    31 OUTSIDE OF THE PISTOL GRIP;
    32 (D) SEMI-AUTOMATIC SHOTGUN THAT HAS ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING:
    33 (I) A PISTOL GRIP OR A VERTICAL HANDGRIP;
    34 (II) A FOLDING, TELESCOPING OR THUMBHOLE STOCK;
    35 (III) A FIXED MAGAZINE CAPACITY IN EXCESS OF FIVE ROUNDS; OR
    36 (IV) AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE;
    37 (E) SHOTGUN WITH A REVOLVING CYLINDER;
    "Deeds Not Words" - Motto of the USS Gettysburg
    NRA Life Member
    http://www.alioofficium.com/ (Personal Responsibility)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    You missed part 29, it turns ported/COMPENSATOR handguns into assault weapons. That new Sig Mosquito Sport .22 is now an assualt weapon.
    Also the bill package bans frangible ammo. Heck this bill package just is littered with to many things to list.
    So in the words of my people, "You be boned."
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I didnt miss it.. But you have to laugh when a little pocket 22 is considered an assault weapon...

and yes... NY is boned...
    NRA Life Member

Power is given to Congress to add states to the union.... what about booting them out?
    Do whatever floats your boat, but don't dare to try and sink mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling Oaks View Post
    Power is given to Congress to add states to the union.... what about booting them out?
    We'd have to boot several.

To the OP...
    Why would anyone who is not a every want to continue living in NY?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    We'd have to boot several.

To the OP...
    Why would anyone who is not a every want to continue living in NY?
    I dont know. I've had many job offers that would have me move to NY that i've turned down for this very reason.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    New York and California just need to drift off into the ocean and become their own communist countries (no offense CA and NY residents). Even with all the high crime rates in states with restrictive gun laws, their legislators continue to create more laws that do nothing to prevent the criminal element from getting what they are after. You couldn't pay me all the bailout money the Federal Government gave to banks and the big 3 auto makers to live in NY, CA, IL, or WI.

I am so glad to be living in Alaska right now!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GizmoHD View Post
    I dont know. I've had many job offers that would have me move to NY that i've turned down for this very reason.
    I left partially for that reason. Just got tired of fighting for my rights amongst a majority who didn't support them. Better to fight the system from a position of strength.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoHD View Post
    I didnt miss it.. But you have to laugh when a little pocket 22 is considered an assault weapon...

and yes... NY is boned...
    It's all a play of words... one day that scoped dear rifle will be considered an evil "sniper rifle" and so will target grade .22LR rifles.... these people will not stop till ALL YOUR RIGHTS ARE GONE and til you are fully subdued like a caged animal to control.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

VIP Member
    I thought magazines over 10 rounds were already banned in NY. The rest of the bill is nothing but trash. If I lived there I would no longer be able to hunt with my muzzle loaders, one is .50 cal and the other is .54 cal!

You have not been able to buy a pistol in NY with more than 10 rounds for years now, this is not new.

NY already has a ban on ARs too, as well as .50 caliber.

The new national fears have already been in working order in NY for many years now. We have already been dealing with it.

And FWIW it is NOT NY that needs to float off into the ocean it is New York City and Long Island. The upstate part of NY is quite conservative and rural, and in most upstate counties people would be just as happy if everyone had a gun as they are in NYC when no one has a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I thought magazines over 10 rounds were already banned in NY. The rest of the bill is nothing but trash. If I lived there I would no longer be able to hunt with my muzzle loaders, one is .50 cal and the other is .54 cal!
    Actually I believe you can hunt in certain parts of the state with a muzzle loader, and during black-powder season there are some things you can use that you normally cannot.

Before all the laws they should make you have a class and get a license to have a child and have ATF check on those parents as closly as the do the weapos trade. Perhaps they can help parents keep there "open carry kid permit" by teaching both parties right from wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    You have not been able to buy a pistol in NY with more than 10 rounds for years now, this is not new.

NY already has a ban on ARs too, as well as .50 caliber.

The new national fears have already been in working order in NY for many years now. We have already been dealing with it.

And FWIW it is NOT NY that needs to float off into the ocean it is New York City and Long Island. The upstate part of NY is quite conservative and rural, and in most upstate counties people would be just as happy if everyone had a gun as they are in NYC when no one has a gun.
    I realize that the 10 round limit has been in place for awhile. But what is important is that they actually defined these weapons as Assault Weapons... Therefore subject to possible seizure and arrest for the possession. And here's the rub, if a ccw holder from another state drives through NY with their weapon (That just so happens to hold 14-17 rounds), wether it's tucked away in the console or in baggage and they are searched, they may risk arrest and confiscation of the weapon because it's an illegal "Assault Weapon" in NY.
    NRA Life Member

Links