Any one else heard this????

This is a discussion on Any one else heard this???? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was on the phone with a friend today and he was reading me a e mail about some bill in the Senate that would ...

Thread: Any one else heard this????

Exclamation Any one else heard this????

I was on the phone with a friend today and he was reading me a e mail about some bill in the Senate that would add a section to the 1040 for guns you own and require fingerprinting under penalty of IRS law!!!

I know this is kind of vague to go on and I have left voice mail for my friend to forward me the message until then Anyone???
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    That would be news to me. A quick search doesn't turn up anything. And I'm not sure the ATF would like the IRS on their turf.

If I understand it right, you're saying the 1040 Tax Form would have fields for listing owned firearms and a requirement that fingerprints be submitted. That sounds bogus. It would be doomed to fail, and really sounds more inflammatory than anything else. Lot's of emails like that making the rounds...
    Last edited by lacrosse50; May 14th, 2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    Well, that pegged my BS meter!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I doubt it very much.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Senator Jack Reid (D-RI) tried this in 2000, it died in comitee.
    Handgun Safety and Registration Act of 2000

It has reached the status of Urban legend. The E-Mail keeps getting updated to the present year, every year.

snopes.com: Handgun Safety and Registration Act

Gun Registration

Handgun Safety and Registration Act of 2000
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Whew!

Thanks for the links Inspector. Happy to know this is BS.

Exclamation Here it is...

and it sounds bad!! My friend finally forwarded it to me...

Senate Bill SB-2099 will require us to put on our 2009 1040 federal tax form all guns that you have or own. It may require fingerprints and a tax of $50 per gun.

This bill was introduced on Feb.. 24. This bill will become public knowledge 30 days after it is voted into law. This is an amendment to the Internal Revenue Act of 1986. This means that the Finance Committee can pass this without the Senate voting on it at all.

The full text of the proposed amendment is on the U.S. Senate homepage, U.S. Senate You can find the bill by doing a search by the bill number, SB-2099.

You know who to call; I strongly suggest you do. Please send a copy of this e-mail to every gun owner you know.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I take it you missed InspectorGadget's post? It's another eternally resurrected anti-gun bill like HR-45. By all means watch for movement on the front, but don't be distracted while less dire but more urgent issues slide by under your nose.

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Hey, I have plenty to do just getting the 1040's to the IRS, much less getting folks to provide finger prints and a list of their guns.

One easy answer to the BS test is that the IRS has been pushing for returns to be filed electronically so there is less paperwork to deal with. This would mean that preparers would have to be able to do electronic fingerprinting in order to send the 1040 electronically. Seriously, there aren't that many municipalities or states that have a good electronic fingerprint system, much less requiring preparers to get one.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Been away for a couple of days but I found out that the 2099 died a long time ago my e mail did not tell the year so at least that one is long dead....

What is the point of having gun owners on the IRS database? Are they going to tax us more? Sheesh!
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Local Ace Hardware had this e-mail sitting on their counter. I figured there had to be something fishy considering as much time as I spend here and hadn't heard about it yet.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

I believe the IRS only interest is the collection of my money
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Links