Anyone want to critque my letter To Senator Alesi

This is a discussion on Anyone want to critque my letter To Senator Alesi within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; To the Honorable Senator Alesi My name is Jeff McSpadden, I live at ************ St, Rochester, NY 14621 and I am a Law Abiding member ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone want to critque my letter To Senator Alesi

Anyone want to critque my letter To Senator Alesi

To the Honorable Senator Alesi

My name is Jeff McSpadden, I live at ************ St, Rochester, NY 14621 and I am a Law Abiding member of the State of New York and I am privileged to have a Concealed Carry Permit for New York.
    It has come to my attention that the New York State legislature is going out of there way to limit or remove my right to self-defense and attack the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution.
    My main concern is the complete lack of thought and care with which several bills are being passed in the Legislature. Also I am very disappointed to see there are absolutely NO crime deterrent laws being passed with such enthusiasm.

Specifically Assembly Bill 6468 would ban the sale of all semi-automatic handguns not equipped with so-called Micro-stamping technology. The Companion Bill to A6468 is Senate Bill 4397. There is no scientific proof that this technology will help solve any crime. I defy anyone in the legislature to find a scientist, criminologist or Police technician that will confirm that Micro-Stamping a bullet, projectile or case will help solve any crime.

Assembly Bill 1093 would impose new restrictions on licensed dealers and require retailers to obtain liability insurance against the possibility of a crime being committed with a firearm any time after it is legally sold. The companion Bill to A1093 is Senate Bill 1715. Seriously? Is the legislature going to impose liability insurance on Ford, GM and Chrysler if a drunk driver kills someone with a car after the vehicle is legally sold? How about Budweiser or Coors? Is the legislature going to require the liquor industry to acquire liability insurance if their products kill someone after they are legally sold?

Assembly Bill 801A would require five year renewals on pistol licenses. Its companion Bill is senate Bill 1598. New York State all ready requires licensed Pistol owners to “renew” there license every THREE YEARS. This Bill is a complete waste of time and money.

Would someone in the New York State Government please explain to me how ANY of the following Bills are going to deter ANY CRIME?

Assembly Bill 1326 would outlaw any handgun that is “Capable” of being fired by anyone under five years of age or younger, How is this bill going to deter crime?

Assembly Bill 2882 would expand the ballistic imaging program. Are you kidding me? This program has been in effect since 2002 and has cost the taxpayers of NYS over 3 million dollars. As of today this program has not solved one single crime. The only other state to attempt this program was Maryland and the dumped they program because of the cost and it’s inability to solve any crimes. This bill is another complete waste of money.

Assembly Bill 3211A would outlaw .50 caliber Firearms. Why? Can anyone in the NYS Legislature show the taxpayers a case in which ANY .50 caliber firearm was used in a crime? What about the .50 caliber muzzle loaded firearms? The Black powder, muzzle loaded firearm has been around since the country was discovered? And is still used for sporting and hunting purposes. This is another bill that is a complete waste of time and money.

there is going to be more, but I need someone to check this out before a send it

TIA
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Sorry, I skimmed over the majority of it. The one thing I would say from what I read; Personally, I don't like refering to CCW as a priviledge like you did in the first paragraph. If you and your elected officials see CCW as a priviledge and less of a 2A right, then it's just that much easier for them to legislate it and take it away. I would humbly suggest that you simply say you posses a permit or that you are a permit holder.

Just my opinion...
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Sorry, I skimmed over the majority of it. The one thing I would say from what I read; Personally, I don't like refering to CCW as a priviledge like you did in the first paragraph. If you and your elected officials see CCW as a priviledge and less of a 2A right, then it's just that much easier for them to legislate it and take it away. I would humbly suggest that you simply say you posses a permit or that you are a permit holder.

Just my opinion...
    excellent point, thanx. That's what I'm looking for
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I am a Law Abiding member of the State of New York
    Law abiding is not a proper noun.

New York is a state, not a club or organization. You are a citizen or resident, not a member.

I defy anyone in the legislature to find a scientist, criminologist or Police technician that will confirm that Micro-Stamping a bullet, projectile or case will help solve any crime.
    Careful what you ask for. Chances are, there are such people.

Instead, denounce the credibility of those who take the opposing position, and rebut by citing those that support your view.

Can anyone in the NYS Legislature show the taxpayers a case in which ANY .50 caliber firearm was used in a crime?
    Yes, they can. Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 (violent crimes anyway). One with a .50 BMG rifle, the other with a muzzle loader.

One should note that the BMG crime produced no deaths, and I don't think it was in New York.

Instead, focus on the fact that the capabilities the .50 is not spectacular nor unique. They are fundamentally no different other commonly available rifles.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

thank you, more good points.

after i get a few more I will "re-work" the letter
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    ... Assembly Bill 2882 would expand the ballistic imaging program. Are you kidding me? This program has been in effect since 2002 and has cost the taxpayers of NYS over 3 million dollars.
    Actually, in your favor, more than 30 million has been spent on the NY State CoBIS program. There were two hits on balistics after 212,000+ guns registered. Here's a table you can cite for the CoBis statistics:

CoBIS or GUN DNA:A waste of millions of dollars, a waste of police manpower.

Good luck, and show us a final draft after revisions!
    Last edited by JonInNY; May 20th, 2009 at 02:35 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    "It's" means "it is". "Its" means "belonging to it". I would capitalize only proper nouns and not write words in all capitals.

To the Honorable Senator Alesi...It has come to my attention that the New York State legislature is going out of there way to limit or remove my right to self-defense and attack the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution.
    My main concern is the complete lack of thought and care with which several bills are being passed in the Legislature. Also I am very disappointed to see there are absolutely NO crime deterrent laws being passed with such enthusiasm.
    Ok, this is your stated purpose in writing. Think about how your letter supports your purpose.
    Specifically Assembly Bill 6468 would ban the sale of all semi-automatic handguns not equipped with so-called Micro-stamping technology. The Companion Bill to A6468 is Senate Bill 4397. There is no scientific proof that this technology will help solve any crime. I defy anyone in the legislature to find a scientist, criminologist or Police technician that will confirm that Micro-Stamping a bullet, projectile or case will help solve any crime.
    You aren't addressing "anyone". You are addressing Senator Alesi. If Senator Alesi chooses to, he can certainly find an expert who doesn't think the average citizen should be allowed to carry, and who will take a position in support of this requirement for which the technology does not yet exist. Instead of taking an absolute and unsupported position that discourages dialogue, try providing facts that support your position, so that yours is the logical conclusion.
    Assembly Bill 1093 would impose new restrictions on licensed dealers and require retailers to obtain liability insurance against the possibility of a crime being committed with a firearm any time after it is legally sold. The companion Bill to A1093 is Senate Bill 1715. Seriously? Is the legislature going to impose liability insurance on Ford, GM and Chrysler if a drunk driver kills someone with a car after the vehicle is legally sold? How about Budweiser or Coors? Is the legislature going to require the liquor industry to acquire liability insurance if their products kill someone after they are legally sold?
    Your rhetorical questions can easily be answered. Yes, they are serious. No, they have no intention of imposing such requirements on car manufacturers or breweries. At which point, Senator Alesi can move on to the next point. Also, the parallel is not the manufacturers, but the car dealers and retail stores, bars and restaurants, that sell alcohol.

Instead of using rhetoric, which can easily be ignored, try citing facts such as the number of drunk driving accidents and people killed or injured by drunk drivers, and point out that car dealers and retailers who sell alcohol are not required by law to have specific liability insurance against the possibility of a car or beverage being used in the commission of a crime after being legally sold. Nor are retailers of any other weapon or object of a type that has ever been used in a crime required to have liability insurance against the possibility of that object being used in the commission of a crime after being legally sold. Obviously, it is the person who bears liability for the commission of a crime, not an object, and this holds as true for guns as it does for any other object.
    ...Would someone in the New York State Government please explain to me how ANY of the following Bills are going to deter ANY CRIME?
    This isn't an open letter to the Government of the State of New York. This is a letter to Senator Alesi, so address the Senator.
    Assembly Bill 1326 would outlaw any handgun that is “Capable” of being fired by anyone under five years of age or younger, How is this bill going to deter crime?
    All the Senator has to do is acknowledge that this bill is about child safety, not crime. Instead of asking a rhetorical question that misinterprets the reason for the bill, you might try citing how many more children 5 and under that are killed by drowning in buckets, than there are children 5 and under who discharge a handgun injuring or killing anyone. If the New York legislature is actually concerned about crimes and accidents involving children aged 5 and under, then they should outlaw buckets, which are a much more serious threat to child safety. Or you might find the statistics for how many children that age are involved in accidents with bags, and suggest a similar argument.
    Assembly Bill 2882 would expand the ballistic imaging program. Are you kidding me? This program has been in effect since 2002 and has cost the taxpayers of NYS over 3 million dollars. As of today this program has not solved one single crime. The only other state to attempt this program was Maryland and the dumped they program because of the cost and it’s inability to solve any crimes. This bill is another complete waste of money.
    Again, avoid the rhetoric, because no, they aren't kidding. Cite the facts. As already pointed out, this fruitless project has cost the taxpayers of New York tens of millions of dollars with almost nothing to show for it. Instead, New York should pay attention to Maryland's experience, and accept that ballistic fingerprints can be physically altered or completely eliminated, thereby rendering the database useless; especially in a time of severe economic crisis, New York cannot afford to waste tens of millions of taxpayer dollars on a project that, by any objective measure, has completely and utterly failed- just as it has everywhere it has been attempted.
    Assembly Bill 3211A would outlaw .50 caliber Firearms. Why? Can anyone in the NYS Legislature show the taxpayers a case in which ANY .50 caliber firearm was used in a crime? What about the .50 caliber muzzle loaded firearms? The Black powder, muzzle loaded firearm has been around since the country was discovered? And is still used for sporting and hunting purposes. This is another bill that is a complete waste of time and money.
    As pointed out, your rhetoric fails, here. There are, in fact, cases of both types of .50 caliber firearms being used in the commission of a crime. The case against restricting .50 caliber weapons is more difficult, precisely because they are so powerful. You might do better to spend some time reviewing the arguments that have already been made for and against the .50 caliber rifle, and then present facts to bolster your argument, rather than simply stating your opinion that the bill is a complete waste of time and money. Obviously, the legislators do not agree. You have to counter that.

I hope this gives you some things to consider in your rewrite. The important thing is that you are taking the time and effort to make your voice heard. Good luck.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Also I am very disappointed to see there are absolutely NO crime deterrent laws being passed with such enthusiasm.

Would add "As a CCW you would support longer jail times for criminals that has a firearm in Poisson or when used in a crime. We as CCW's have gone thru background checks and have trained in the proper use of firearms. By passing any laws, it is making it harder for the honest person to protect themselves and does nothing to prevent BG from getting access to illegal weapons. How about something as simple as 10 years in jail for being caught with an illegal weapon? I think something so simple could work.

On the issue of micro stamping. This idea is flawed because as you should be aware the casing of the bullet is recycled is made of bass and as a precious metal it is recycled. Recycled casings are available thru multiple sources. Stop by any range and you can pickup all the casings off the floor as many as you can carry or for purchase thru mail order or local gun supply store. I go to my local NY range for practice and the bass casing is then sold to a recycler in Kansas. And is sold to a person who lives in Florida, who goes to his range for practice and then gets sold to a recycler in Utah. So how does keeping track of who purchased the bullet help you find who was the last person to reused the casing. People who obtain illegal weapons do not purchase ammo legally thus avoiding the whole idea of the micro-stamping.

just my . 02

uuuum? I obviously need to do much more research before sending this off to the nice Senator.

I will start a revised letter later this afternoon.

I truly thank everyone for there thoughtful observations. I'm glad I posted this here before sending this out.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Wow, we sure are critical
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    I applaud your effort....many people say they're going to write something and then don't. Good luck with the letter...think I'll write something and send it in too....NY and the Sullivan Law, a criminals paradise....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Sponsor
    Tom357 very succinctly said what I was thinking. The original draft felt a bit too accusatory and more of a rant than a logical debate.
    I feel exactly as you do and would have, more than likely written in the same tone. Which is why I let SWMBO do my letter writing.

Keep an eye on the homonym spelling(their vs. there). Just a pet peeve of mine. This may have an effect on the perceived credibility of the author and to my knowledge spell check still can't pick up on this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Wow, we sure are critical
    that's perfectly okay, The last thing I want is to write this guy and sound like an idiot
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    God I love these forums...

Liberals, well they are stupid and it shows.

I doubt they would ever take the time to communicate effectively such as we do here. We help each other defend what is ours to defend. It takes moron to attempt to break it down. Maybe that is why they fail constantly.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links