Knock, Knock...We're Here to Inspect Your Weapons - Page 2

Knock, Knock...We're Here to Inspect Your Weapons

This is a discussion on Knock, Knock...We're Here to Inspect Your Weapons within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I need more...this doesn't sound remotely close to legal...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knock, Knock...We're Here to Inspect Your Weapons

I need more...this doesn't sound remotely close to legal

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    <Sarcasm Warning>
    OK, guys, I understand bashing New York City, but give us upstater's a break!
    Sorry,. Didn't mean to offend at all,..

The Hudson Valley is a beautiful, scenic and wonderful place to be, and no trouble (well, just some inconvenience) getting firearms.
    Ya,. See my point..

Two points...

I'm hoping this story is NOT true. Unfortunately having lived in NY most of my life and seen the draconian measures taken to trample on the 2nd amendment rights of its citizens I would not be totally surprised if in fact this did take place.

Also, I have a serious problem with the idea that a citizen has to give prior consent to allow periodic, unannounced home visits and inspection of his firearms in order to exercise his Constitutional right to keep and bear arms, whether it's in the fine print of a license application or not.

Law enforcement officials are very good at 'talking' their way into a residence.
    One must be polite, firm, and demand a warrant...no one should be able to get in for free...

Stay armed...KNOW your rights and be polite...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    Sorry,. Didn't mean to offend at all,..
    No offense taken at all!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Florida with such an event ...
    ain't gonna happen...

Just so ya'all know, we Floridians don't need permits to have guns at home or work or in our vehicles. We just need to have them locked up from children (if not being worn).

Come to think of it, we don't issue permits for concealed carry, we have "licenses."

And non-felon tourists are welcome to safely keep a loaded weapon on your nightstand when in the hotel room -- most of our hotels have safes in the rooms (call ahead to be sure) in case you go swimming. You can also store it in your glove box if you are legal to own but not to carry. (I am a hunter, not a lawyer.)

We also have (by NRA count) 139 firing ranges (a few are private, but) most are available to the public for a nominal fee, and we have a few Pittman-Robertson Act (free public) ranges.

Come visit where we recognize the Second Amendment! I like having good citizens armed around me.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Uh huh, I suppose they would like to see my jewelry collection, coin collection or some other collection, I may or may not have.
    Sorry, I don't show valuables to strangers that show up at my door,
    Go get a warrant or go away.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Go get a warrant or go away.
    Good reply, and much more polite than what I had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    What the heck is going on???
    We're being forcibly bent over the barrel.

Screwed, blued and tattoed is the phrase in some parts.

It's a gross exercise in power over the People. It's a warrantless search. It's unconstitutional and illegal, I believe. Check with a competent attorney in your state to be certain, but IMO you have every right to deny entry and demand to see a warrant, including going after them legally if they abuse their authority anyway.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

A little more information on this that still needs some independent verification.

This incident may be part of an investigation regarding long guns sold in counties outside NYC to NYC residents. NYC residents are required to register long guns and there are additional restrictions imposed on long guns in NYC that don't apply elsewhere in NYS. This home inspection might be part of an investigation to determine if the long guns being purchased outside of NYC by NYC residents are being registered AND meet the special requirements/limitations imposed on NYC residences.

"If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

NYPD shows up unannounced at this guys apartment to inspect the permit and serial numbers of the firearms he owns. No warrant, no statement regarding probable cause just...we have a list of 30 people in the neighborhood that will be the subject of "site inspections".

Does anybody have some hard info on the when, where, how, legal justification and who is authorizing this?
    I'd ask for a warrant, if they didn't have one I'd shut the door. Forced entry, breaking an entry and violation of 4th and 5th amendments would be illegal.

So if the cops did force entry there would be three ways to go:
    1. Let them in and do whatever and leave then do nothing.
    2. Let them in and do whatever and after they leave call the BEST lawyer-snake-in-the-grass you can find.
    3. Respond to their breakin with a defensive response.

I would personally opt for #2 and sue them for millions and after I win I would testify that I would use my winnings to buy 5 of every assualt rifle I could find!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

A little more information on this that still needs some independent verification.

This incident may be part of an investigation regarding long guns sold in counties outside NYC to NYC residents. NYC residents are required to register long guns and there are additional restrictions imposed on long guns in NYC that don't apply elsewhere in NYS. This home inspection might be part of an investigation to determine if the long guns being purchased outside of NYC by NYC residents are being registered AND meet the special requirements/limitations imposed on NYC residences.

Still can't do it without a warrant, unless there's cause for immediate raid, like illegal drugs, etc.

Even NY City has to abide by the 4th amendment:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

<Sarcasm Warning>
    OK, guys, I understand bashing New York City, but give us upstater's a break!

The Hudson Valley is a beautiful, scenic and wonderful place to be, and no trouble (well, just some inconvenience) getting firearms.
    Exactly..... NYC is nothing but a big "show" for tourists. I watched that show from the NJ "bleacher seats" for 30 years.

Upstate is beautiful country. I live near the Finger Lakes and it is some of the most spectacular land in the country. As well, most upstate counties are very gun friendly with the exception of some of the counties with bigger cities like Syracuse and Rochester for example.

When people lump "NYC" into New York, it would be like calling "LA" "California", which is not exactly the same but you get the point.

Most people in Upstate NY, would love nothing more than chopping the island of Manhattan off at the bridges and giving it to NJ as a gift.

Really NJ, NYC and Long Island should get together and form a NEW state all on their own state.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Exactly..... NYC is nothing but a big "show" for tourists.

Well FatCat, I'm not sure if I would go that far. I live about 100 miles north of the city, beautiful Catskills, but I actually enjoy going in to NYC for dining, theater, and some other fun. It's just to bad I need to leave my gun at home.

(Besides, my wife works in NYC a few days a week).
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links