Oregon to uphold CCW privacy

This is a discussion on Oregon to uphold CCW privacy within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I love this state. Here is an article from my local paper, the Illinois Valley News : Privacy upheld for concealed weapons By SCOTT JORGENSEN ...

Thread: Oregon to uphold CCW privacy

Oregon to uphold CCW privacy

I love this state. Here is an article from my local paper, the Illinois Valley News:

Privacy upheld for concealed weapons
    By SCOTT JORGENSEN
    IVN Staff Writer

Legislation is being advanced at the Oregon capitol in Salem to protect the privacy of concealed weapons permit holders.

On Monday, May 4, the Oregon House of Representatives passed House Bill 2727 on a 54-4 vote. If approved, the 12-page bill would exempt concealed handgun license information from disclosure under the state’s open records law.

The issue emerged from a 2007 case in which South Medford High School English teacher Shirley Katz asked Medford Public Schools District for permission to bring a concealed weapon to work.

Katz insisted that she needed to take her pistol to work because she feared that her ex-husband could show up and try to harm her. She said that she also was worried about a Columbine-style attack.

Her request was denied, but prompted the Mail Tribune newspaper to ask Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters for a list of concealed weapons permit holders in the county.

Winters refused, which led to a court battle. A judge ruled in the newspaper’s favor, and Winters began seeking a legislative remedy to the problem.

HB 2727 was referred to the House Judiciary Committee on Feb. 20. A public hearing was held on March 10, and a work session conducted April 15. On April 24, the committee approved an amended version of the bill with a do-pass recommendation, and sent it to the full House for a vote.

Winters testified in favor of HB 2727 when it was still in committee, and said that passing the bill is “the right thing to do.”

“I think it’s a win-win for everyone involved,” Winters said. “I think this solves everything and protects people’s safety, security and right to privacy.”

HB 2727 leaves the decision of whether or not to release the information up to the sheriff of the county where the request is made, Winters said. Section 2 of the bill states that “the party seeking disclosure shall have the burden of showing that public disclosure would not constitute an unreasonable invasion of privacy.”

Winters said that those provisions establish “clear guidelines on what needed to happen.

“This takes the ambiguity out of it,” he said. “It’s an important issue, and we need to have a legislative fix to it.”

Josephine County Sheriff Gil Gilbertson expressed support for HB 2727 and the rights of concealed weapons permit holders during his Wednesday, May 6 appearance on the Grants Pass KAJO Radio talk show.

“If someone wants their information kept private, I’ll do anything I can to keep it private,” Gilbertson said.

Gilbertson stated that his office issued 117 concealed weapons permits during January and 136 in March.
    Peace through Superior Firepower.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That is good legislation!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    For a liberal state, sometimes they really surprise me.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    For a liberal state, sometimes they really surprise me.
    Me too. They do some real dumb things, but at least they get the gun thing right.
    Peace through Superior Firepower.

Indeed! Good job to the bigwigs!
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

Absolutely the right thing to do. Of course, it still allows the data to be disclosed, but it's at the Sheriff's discretion. I suppose that's better than having some idiot in a cape dictate disclosure to every two-bit requester.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    That is good legislation!
    Yep, and a great sheriff for making it happen.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was wondering about this issue a few days ago. Glad to hear it!

Thats positive legislation. They were posting the names of CCL holders in the news paper here in Ohio everyweek.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Oregon has some of the best gun laws in the country. Carry permits are pretty easy to get aren't given out to criminals. There's open carry outside of the cities, and inside some of them. No silly gun registration or "safety inspections." No waiting periods.

As an Oregonian, I think this is great.

I remember Holly and I both signing a piece of paper and sending it into the sheriff here in Eugene saying we were opposed to our names being released.

And as far as Oregon being a liberal states, it's weird -- Portland, yes, Eugene, OH YES, but practically everywhere else? Klamath Falls? I've been all over the country and I don't think I've ever been to a more conservative area -- my father's entire family still reside there.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Links