Maryland Report

This is a discussion on Maryland Report within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After seeing the reports from Virginia I figured I'd add s small report on how things went in Maryland this week. The report was supplied ...

Thread: Maryland Report

Lead Moderator

Maryland Report

After seeing the reports from Virginia I figured I'd add s small report on how things went in Maryland this week. The report was supplied by Henry Heymering, who runs the Maryland Shall Issue web site.

The Hearings on March 8th went very well. The committee members were friendly and treated us quite well. We were not rushed or hushed as in previous years. The tough and antagonistic questions were all pointed at the gun-control folks (two from Ceasefire, and two from Coalition to Stop Handgun Violence). There were no antagonistic questions to those testifying on our side. The gun-control side had the same 4 people testifying (often caught in lies and exaggerations) on each bill while we had 40 individuals each of whom took a day off work to be there ... each testifying for the bills most important to them personally.

There was some good-natured humor when HB 1162 was introduced. HB 1162 would allow women (only) to have shall-issue CCW, while leaving the current system in place for men. We haven't pushed it because it is a bit tongue-in-cheek. No doubt it would be found to be discriminatory and unconstitutional. The reason for it is to make the legislators think. That seemed to work. Ray Givens testified in favor of the bill. He said he wanted his wife, daughter and mother to be able to defend themselves when he couldn't defend them. He then said: and then they can defend me. The committee members all laughed ... but with us, not at us. They got it.

We had a very good effect. There was a noticeable shift towards our side by the committee as a whole and by several of the legislators that have not committed to a particular side already. The committee as a whole seemed to clearly understand that the pro-gun side is larger, more honest, and more correct than the gun-control lobbyists.

It's almost enough to give me some hope that things will at least get further than they have in the past few years.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    while we had 40 individuals each of whom took a day off work to be there ...
    Rick - that is impressive. I know some of the folks who are doing this and give them a huge thumbs up for their dogged perseverance. They deserve success.

This does sound better than hoped for perhaps - and I just hope the momentum can be maintained. Boy is it ever overdue for MD to have shall issue.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Rick - that is impressive. I know some of the folks who are doing this and give them a huge thumbs up for their dogged perseverance. They deserve success.
    Yea, I wish I could have been there, but I'm stuck in California till the end of next week (I hope) for work. Launches NEVER happen on time, this one was supposed to go last month.

This does sound better than hoped for perhaps - and I just hope the momentum can be maintained. Boy is it ever overdue for MD to have shall issue.
    Like I said this is the most hopeful I've ever been. In the past it seems nothing but "anti" bills ever made it out of committee!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

That's awesome, small victories will win the war. It would be nice to someday not have to disarm when crossing the Potomac, and it would put lots of pressure on DC to change its ways if passed.

Links