Anti-gun rights "Democrats" ask why they lose gun votes

Anti-gun rights "Democrats" ask why they lose gun votes

This is a discussion on Anti-gun rights "Democrats" ask why they lose gun votes within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Someone needs to tell them supporting "strict" gun control is the third rail. Why can't Carolyn McCarthy D-NY and her whiny ilk just shut up? ...

Thread: Anti-gun rights "Democrats" ask why they lose gun votes

Thumbs down Anti-gun rights "Democrats" ask why they lose gun votes

Someone needs to tell them supporting "strict" gun control is the third rail.

Why can't Carolyn McCarthy D-NY and her whiny ilk just shut up? She was elected over the body of her husband and other defenseless victims shot down in Long Island subway by an unhinged man who somehow got an illegally acquired and possessed firearm to commit a horrific massacre.

(Parts referring to the other topic in name edited out; for full article, click on the title. Article by Associated Press, known for its bias against gun rights...)

-----------------------

Liberals ask how they lost gun, Guantanamo votes

May 24, 2009, AP

WASHINGTON Frustrated liberals are asking why a Democratic-controlled Congress and White House can't manage to close the Guantanamo prison or keep new gun-rights laws from passing.

After all, President Barack Obama pledged to shut down the military detention center on Cuba for suspected terrorists. And Democratic control of the government would suggest that any gun legislation leads to tighter controls on weapons, not expanded use.

Even as they grouse, however, liberal lawmakers acknowledge that no one factor explains last week's disappointing back-to-back votes in Congress.

The Obama administration is focused on other priorities, they say. Party leaders don't want to endanger Democratic lawmakers from conservative districts by stressing divisive issues such as gun control.

[...]

As for trying to keep loaded guns out of national parks, Cummings said, "I don't think he put a lot of energy into it." Issues such as national security and the distressed economy deserve greater attention, at least for now, he said, adding that the president "picks his fights very carefully."

Such explanations provide small comfort to left-leaning Democrats after eight years of George W. Bush's presidency and nearly a dozen years of Republican control of Congress.

"We'll probably end up passing more gun bills" that expand owners' rights "than we did during the Republican administration," said Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y., a leading gun control advocate. "That is what surprises me."

She placed less blame on the White House than on ordinary Americans and advocacy groups that are consistently outflanked by gun owners' groups, especially the National Rifle Association.

"Until the American people say enough is enough, and get active in it," Democratic control of Congress and the White House will not be enough to turn the tide, said McCarthy, whose husband was killed by a gunman in 1993.

Two votes in Congress last Wednesday dismayed many liberals and exposed the limits of their influence even with Obama as president and Democrats holding solid majorities in both houses.

[...]

Also Wednesday, the House voted overwhelmingly to join the Senate in letting people carry loaded guns in national parks and wildlife refuges. More than 100 House Democrats and 174 Republicans voted for the gun measure, which was attached to an Obama-backed bill imposing new restrictions on credit card companies.

Earlier this year, gun-rights supporters derailed a bill to give the District of Columbia voting rights in Congress by adding a provision that would repeal the city's strict gun regulations.

The gun votes were less surprising to many Democrats than were the Guantanamo developments. The NRA remains among the most powerful lobbies, and many lawmakers take care to stay off its political enemies list.

"People do not want to be on the wrong side of this particular cultural divide," said Rep. David Price, D-N.C., who supports tougher gun controls. "It's too bad there's not a more responsible national organization" to counteract the NRA, he said.

In some ways, the gun-control lobby is choking on Democratic success in congressional races. "The seats we're picking up come disproportionately from those more conservative areas," Price said, where linking the Democratic Party to gun control can be dangerous at re-election time.

Rep. Lynn Woolsey of California is another Democrat frustrated by the gun debate. When she asks colleagues why they don't support tougher restrictions, she said, they reply, "You just don't get it, Woolsey. You don't have our districts."

"It has to do with being afraid they'll lose their election if they stand up against guns," she said.

[...]

"I'm not sure they realized the opposition they were going to come up against," Woolsey said.

Many Democratic lawmakers predicted that Obama will resolve the Guantanamo problem and eventually turn to gun issues, where he has advocated ownership rights with "common sense" regulations.

"I do believe that down the road the president will start working on some of the gun violence issues," said McCarthy, the New York Democrat. "But let's face it," she said. "We've got an awful lot of issues on our plate right now."

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Rep. Lynn Woolsey of California is another Democrat frustrated by the gun debate. When she asks colleagues why they don't support tougher restrictions, she said, they reply, "You just don't get it, Woolsey. You don't have our districts."
    Correction: "You just don't get it, Woolsey... gun ownership is guaranteed by the Constitution..."
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Reality just keeps sticking it's ugly nose in their nice little world....

The reality is that informed Americans understand the 2nd Amendment.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

"Until the American people say enough is enough, and get active in it," Democratic control of Congress and the White House will not be enough to turn the tide, said McCarthy, whose husband was killed by a gunman in 1993.
    Your husband is dead, lady, because he made no effective preparations to defend himself. Despite all laws at the time, a criminal got a weapon and used it. His being disarmed and unprepared in the face of a predator killed him.

The ONLY thing anyone can do about that, at the time, is: survive the attack; or, fail to survive the attack. Disarmament of all remaining citizens so that everyone's as defenseless as your dead husband isn't going to fix the problem. That approach will only end up with one thing: a defenseless citizenry.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

As an answer to the question, how about...

...because sometimes in a crazy world, right still prevails, in spite of the stupidity of some of the inmates?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Excuse me while I shed a tear for their currently failing campaign that seeks to disarm me and render me incapable of providing an adequate means of self-defense for my family.

Oh, who am I kidding? I'm not that good of an actor.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

And I thought it was because we were bitter and clung to guns and religion.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

so let me get this straight we can carry in national parks and wildlife refuges now?
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod012889 View Post
    so let me get this straight we can carry in national parks and wildlife refuges now?
    Apparently, not for months upon months, until the dang thing activates. Though, what purpose such a delay serves other than political screwing is beyond anyone's guess.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Well i got months before i will get my handgun and permit to carry.
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Your husband is dead, lady, because he made no effective preparations to defend himself. Despite all laws at the time, a criminal got a weapon and used it. His being disarmed and unprepared in the face of a predator killed him.

The ONLY thing anyone can do about that, at the time, is: survive the attack; or, fail to survive the attack. Disarmament of all remaining citizens so that everyone's as defenseless as your dead husband isn't going to fix the problem. That approach will only end up with one thing: a defenseless citizenry.

HAHA dont write that to us .... write that to her. I wonder what her feedback would be
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Sponsored Links