Defensive Carry banner

NYC Owners Beware.

718 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  atctimmy 
#1 ·
A few days ago my doorbell rang at 9PM.
I opened the door to see two police officers--complete with body armor & NYPD raid jackets-- outside asking me about a pump shotgun that I bought in Long island in 2004.
(NYC residents need a rifle/shotgun permit to own long guns, which is not required anywhere else in the state.)
When I told them that I was an active peace officer ( hence exempt from these laws) they acted embarrassed and then asked if I had my ID handy.
I invited them upstairs where they could check it in a more private setting.
After all was squared away they told me that they are part of a joint task force assigned to check "yellow forms" at out of town gun shops and see if any NYC resident without a permit has bought any long guns.
Fair warning--like it or not if you live in the 5 Boros do not buy any NYC banned long guns, and make sure your others are legally registered.

#8 ·
I was wondering about that too. I was under the impression there had to be a reason for local police to go through the 4473's.

OP said they were with a joint task force. Was it a police/BATFE task force? I believe the BATFE can go through them during an audit, or after a shop closes and the owner sends his records to the BATFE. But not to just go on a "fishing expedition".

I'd would have left them standing outside and gotten the LEO credentials to show them, not invited them into my house.

#7 ·
Is that legal? And if so, is it a good use of police resources? I'm guessing it's legal (it's not like they'd ever setup straw purchase sting operations in other jurisdictions, or harass out of state gun dealers...). I'm also guessing it's not the best use of resources. Just my humble, uneducated opinion.

Either way, just one more item on my constantly growing list of reasons why I'm glad I left NY. My parents are looking to get out as soon as they retire.

#10 ·
I was wondering about that too. I was under the impression there had to be a reason for local police to go through the 4473's.

OP said they were with a joint task force. Was it a police/BATFE task force? I believe the BATFE can go through them during an audit, or after a shop closes and the owner sends his records to the BATFE. But not to just go on a "fishing expedition".

I'd would have left them standing outside and gotten the LEO credentials to show them, not invited them into my house.
Mayor Bloomberg runs NYC...any more questions?

#9 ·
Were they for real? Did they act embarrassed and back off when told the op was an active LE. Played the role just long enough to smoothly get out, and quietly leave?

There was an interesting story on TV last night about a guy who impersonated being a DEA agent. He had a town's police chief fooled. Made a bunch of "drug busts" before being found out.

Maybe these guys were looking for a gun to steal but played it cool rather than risk a fight with a real LE.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.