Hitting Close to Home: Albany County Bullet Bill Stirs Controversy

This is a discussion on Hitting Close to Home: Albany County Bullet Bill Stirs Controversy within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Albany County bullet bill stirs controversy - Crime Confidential -- Times Union Albany NY 25, 2009 at 5:57 am by Mike Goodwin, assistant city editor ...

Thread: Hitting Close to Home: Albany County Bullet Bill Stirs Controversy

Hitting Close to Home: Albany County Bullet Bill Stirs Controversy

Albany County bullet bill stirs controversy - Crime Confidential -- Times Union Albany NY

25, 2009 at 5:57 am by Mike Goodwin, assistant city editor
    Staff writer Carol DeMare reports this morning that :

One of the most controversial measures to come before the County Legislature in some time is expected to draw an overflow crowd at a public hearing Tuesday night.

At issue is a proposed law that would require gun shops to register sales of ammunition, a measure that has been condemned by gun proponents as a back-door means to register guns and learn what weapons people have. Supporters say it is merely an attempt to close a loophole in state law governing how ammunition is purchased.

In the weeks since the March meeting when proposed Local Law A, gun rights advocates have spoken at public forums before the start of legislature meetings. The measure is sponsored by three Democratic legislators: Phil Steck of Colonie and Wanda Willingham and Doug Bullock, both of Albany.

In advance of this week’s hearing, opponents have distributed fliers at guns shops and sportsmen’s clubs, and, for the last week, they have taken to the airwaves.

The voice heard in a 61-second commercial on WGDJ Talk 1300, which started last Thursday, is that of Anthony Bianchini, of Colonie. The 63-year-old state retiree calls himself a Bill of Rights advocate and lifelong shooting enthusiast. He is a member of the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association and the National Rifle Association, but his radio ads represent no organization. He said he is a spokesman on behalf of himself and Brian Olesen, owner of B&J Guns in Colonie, the only gun shop in Albany County.

Bianchini had fliers printed and distributed them at Watervliet Rod and Gun Club, of which he is a member, and at West Albany Rod and Gun Club. In the ad, he says Local Law A is “an issue of grave concern.”

He expects a large turnout at the hearing, he said last week.

The proposal is before the legislature’s Law Committee, and County Attorney Craig Denning told committee members the measure is constitutional and not pre-empted by state statute.

The law would regulate the storage, possession and sale of ammunition and require dealers to record each ammo sale and the caliber, make and model of the firearm for which the ammo purchase was made. Initially, the law had required the serial number of the firearm, but Steck removed that requirement from the legislation.

Bianchini said his aim is to try “to get folks to realize that this is an infringement on both your Fourth Amendment civil rights to privacy and your Second Amendment civil rights to keep and bear arms.

Steck wouldn’t speculate last week on what kind of turnout the hearing would draw. “We certainly haven’t done anything really to try to mobilize people from what I believe to be the vast majority of citizens that support gun control,” he said.

“I don’t think it’s an issue of gun control advocates versus gun enthusiasts,” the lawmaker added. “I’ve campaigned for public office many times. I’ve met many people who are gun owners in New York, and I’ve never encountered a one who feels oppressed by the existing gun control laws of New York. This local law is an effort to get better enforcement” of the section of the state Penal Law that “governs who can buy ammunition for handguns.”

“There are some very aggressive advocates against gun control who want to portray this as a venture into registration of all weapons and all ammunition,” Steck said.

“It isn’t that and it’s never been that. But obviously if you go out to the public and create a straw man, you’re going to generate controversy.”
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

“There are some very aggressive advocates against gun control who want to portray this as a venture into registration of all weapons and all ammunition,” Steck said. “It isn’t that and it’s never been that. But obviously if you go out to the public and create a straw man, you’re going to generate controversy.”
    Who does this schmuck think he's fooling??

Registering guns or ammo has to start somewhere. This registration of ammo is a start. It is, quite simply, a step in that direction. That's not a "straw man" argument. That's a fact.

Now, whether it ultimately turns into yet another example of power being corrupted into absolute power ... well, that's anyone's guess. But history doesn't look at political dishonor very kindly, in this regard. Absolute power corrupts, almost absolutely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Sure it's not a back door to gun registration, wink, wink, nod, nod, say no more!

Senior Moderator
    Those folks up in New York never give up when it comes to screwing with guns.

Whats up with that?

“I don’t think it’s an issue of gun control advocates versus gun enthusiasts,” the lawmaker added. “I’ve campaigned for public office many times. I’ve met many people who are gun owners in New York, and I’ve never encountered a one who feels oppressed by the existing gun control laws of New York. This local law is an effort to get better enforcement” of the section of the state Penal Law that “governs who can buy ammunition for handguns.”
    That guy ought to be on Obama's cabinet. He actually believes that crap.
    “There are some very aggressive advocates against gun control who want to portray this as a venture into registration of all weapons and all ammunition,” Steck said.
    Dang straight. And he speaks of them as they are the enemy because they have seen through his scheme.
    “It isn’t that and it’s never been that. But obviously if you go out to the public and create a straw man, you’re going to generate controversy.”
    Its about that and it's always been about that. Some pissant politician that lies to the public about intent dosent change the facts.
    As for the straw man, that is nothing but a diverson for stupid people. That guy obviously thinks that everyone is stupid.
    Typical.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

BTW, I could just as easily go to NJ or CT and by my ammo there, and not have to deal with this nonsense. Or I could buy on-line as well.

The question is, do all the on-line sellers need to change their billing websites to accomodate NY addresses? Oh my gosh, what a nightmare that would be!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Who does this schmuck think he's fooling??

Registering guns or ammo has to start somewhere. This registration of ammo is a start. It is, quite simply, a step in that direction. That's not a "straw man" argument. That's a fact.

Now, whether it ultimately turns into yet another example of power being corrupted into absolute power ... well, that's anyone's guess. But history doesn't look at political dishonor very kindly, in this regard. Absolute power corrupts, almost absolutely.
    Absolutely. It's all about the baby steps. And it's one heck of a slippery slope.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

jfl
    “We certainly haven’t done anything really to try to mobilize people from what I believe to be the vast majority of citizens that support gun control,”
    Excuse me ???? I don't think so ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Albany county is not that big. All the people with firearms would spend their $$$ elsewhere and the local ammo dealers and sales tax revenue would drop.

One could order it online too.... notice the article would "require gun shops to register sales of ammunition"... silly politicians don't think before they act.

VIP Member

Unreal

“I don’t think it’s an issue of gun control advocates versus gun enthusiasts,” the lawmaker added. “I’ve campaigned for public office many times. I’ve met many people who are gun owners in New York, and I’ve never encountered a one who feels oppressed by the existing gun control laws of New York. "

“I’ve met many people who are gun owners in New York, and I’ve never encountered a one who feels oppressed by the existing gun control laws of New York. "
    A great example of another temporary tyrant who doesn't get out much.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links