Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court

This is a discussion on Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Obama to Nominate Sotomayor to Supreme Court Tuesday - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com President Obama will nominate federal appeals court judge Sonia ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court

Obama to Nominate Sotomayor to Supreme Court Tuesday - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com

President Obama will nominate federal appeals court judge Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court Tuesday, FOX News has learned.

Sotomayor, 54, would be the first Hispanic on the high court if confirmed. She would succeed outgoing Justice David Souter.

Sotomayor's selection indicates that Obama is interested in diversifying the court. If she is confirmed, Sotomayor would also be just the third woman to ever sit on the Supreme Court bench, joining Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Obama had said he's looking for a nominee who demonstrates empathy and "intellectual fire power," as well as possesses what he calls the "common touch." Sotomayor, a judge for the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals, could fit this criteria.

She is the daughter of Puerto Rican immigrants and was raised in a Bronx housing project. She has dealt with diabetes since age 8 and lost her father at age 9, growing up under the care of her mother. Sotomayor supposedly became interested in law after watching the TV show "Perry Mason."

She later graduated from Princeton University and earned her law degree from Yale University. Sotomayor was appointed a federal district court judge in 1992 by President George H.W. Bush and then elevated to the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals by President Bill Clinton. At that time, Republicans held up her confirmation, but she eventually passed the Senate 68-28.

Souter generally sided with the liberal wing of the high court, so Obama's selection would not tilt the ideological balance of the body. But Sotomayor is considered one of the most liberal of Obama's potential nominees, and could set off a fight from the right during confirmation -- even though Republicans are far outnumbered on Capitol Hill.

"This is not a bipartisan, consensus pick," one senior GOP Senate leadership aide told FOX News.

As an appellate judge, she sided with the city of New Haven, Conn., in a discrimination case brought by white firefighters after the city threw out results of a promotion exam because two few minorities scored high enough. Ironically, that case is now before the Supreme Court.

Obama's nomination is the first by a Democratic president in 15 years.

His announcement also leaves the Senate four months -- more than enough by traditional standards -- to complete confirmation proceedings before the Court begins its next term in the fall.

Republicans have issued conflicting signals about their intentions. While some have threatened filibusters if they deemed Obama's pick too liberal, others have said that is unlikely.

The announcement, set for 10:15 a.m. ET, comes after the president met with his legal team Monday at the White House to discuss the selection. He also read through written material on potential picks over the weekend at Camp David, according to a White House official who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The president had kept a tight lid on the identity of the nominee. The presumptive short list included several women, including federal appeals court judges Sotomayor and Diane Wood.

Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm and Solicitor General Elena Kagan were also considered possible nominees, along with Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and others.
    Anyone know her record on gun rights issues?
    Is there a track record for us to follow?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Honestly I am not holding my breath. She sounds like the usual extreme leftist. We are all equal but the "federally approved minorities" are more equal then others:

As an appellate judge, she sided with the city of New Haven, Conn., in a discrimination case brought by white firefighters after the city threw out results of a promotion exam because two few minorities scored high enough

Administrator
    Its sad when they are picked based on nationality, sex or race before anything else. I thought that wasnt supposed to be done?
    "Just blame Sixto"

In a speech on the ratification of the 14th Amendment, Thaddeus Stevens said:
    ". . . no distinction would be tolerated in this purified Republic but what arose from merit and conduct."
    While merely one opinion, I believe this is the ideal we're shooting for. Quota systems, in which something other than merit and conduct are the deciding factors, most certainly fail to do this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    They were saying the same thing about Sarah Palin.

Its a joke. Now they have one more vote to rule so many conservative ideals as not legal. It simply a matter of time before our country is doomed to become facsict. God I pray we destroy the left in 2010.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Sotomayor ruled that the recent Supreme Court Heller decision, which struck down a District of Columbia gun ban on federal grounds, should not apply to states

How Conservatives Will Try To SinkSotomayor - Swampland – TIME.com

A Policy Making Judge. As a matter of political rhetoric, the worst thing that a judge can do is "make policy from the bench," thus upsetting, conservatives say, the sacrosanct separation of powers in the constitution, which gives policy making powers to the executive and the legislature. On this point, Sotomayor has been known to tell jokes, which could cause problems. Interpreting these remarks -- "court of appeals is where policy is made. And I know -- and I know this is on tape and I should never say that because we don't make law, I know" -- requires a sufficient understanding of the limits and reach of sarcasm. But this will no doubt be an oft repeated clip in the coming weeks. (The liberal hounds at Media Matters are already on the case with the counter-spin.)

Affirmative Action. Sotomayor was part of a panel that rejected the complaint of a white New Haven firefighter who scored high on an in-house test but was denied promotion. The complaint later led to a split ruling on the Circuit Court, and was appealed to the Supreme Court. Stuart Taylor, of the National Journal, has also complained that Sotomayor and two other judges dismissed the case in an unnecessarily secretive way: "a cursory, unpublished order that disclosed virtually nothing about the nature of the ideologically explosive case."

Second Amendment. On a case that concerned nunchucks--no joke--Sotomayor ruled that the recent Supreme Court Heller decision, which struck down a District of Columbia gun ban on federal grounds, should not apply to states. The National Rifle Association types did not much like this. "That should be enough to draw the gun rights people," said Levey.

Quote Originally Posted by kdydak View Post
    Second Amendment. On a case that concerned nunchucks--no joke--Sotomayor ruled that the recent Supreme Court Heller decision, which struck down a District of Columbia gun ban on federal grounds, should not apply to states. The National Rifle Association types did not much like this. "That should be enough to draw the gun rights people," said Levey.
    She could actually be a net win for us in the short term if this case goes to the Supreme Court. Roberts recused himself from Hamdan v. Rumsfeld because he was on the appellate panel that decided them before they went to the Supreme Court. This could deprive the anti-gun block of a vote when the incorporation issue reaches the Supreme Court.

Second Amendment
    Judge Sotomayor rejected a claim that a New York ban on a martial arts weapon (a nunchuka) violated a man's Second Amendment rights, explaining the Second Amendment only applies to the federal government. In this case, Maloney v. Cuomo, the court noted that the Supreme Court's ruling in District of Columbia v. Heller, which struck down parts of the District's gun control law, did not inviolate this principle, and "to the extent that Heller might be read to question the continuing validity of this principle," earlier Supreme Court rulings took precedence in the case.

I am in the process of watching a previously recorded session with her, Justice Roberts, and Judge Calabresi, another 2nd Circuit Judge on C-Span. It was at George Washington Law School.

There is much to learn about her. I checked the NRAILA site, and they have nothing up on her at this point. I am sure their researchers will be working very hard this week to find out how she has done in her couple of decades on the bench.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

It's not as bad as it could have been. She has issued an opinion that the 2nd amendment does not apply to the states, but as mentioned above, because of her previous ruling, she may, and should recuse herself from a further ruling.

One interesting note is that she has had 4 of her rulings overturned by the Supreme Court.

I love that she is quoted as saying, "I don't believe we should bend the Constitution under any circumstance. It says what it says. We should do honor to it." -- During a 1997 nomination hearing.

However, the following quote scares the heck out of me...,""All of the legal defense funds out there, they're looking for people with court of appeals experience, because it is--court of appeals is where policy is made.

"And I know, and I know this is on tape and I should never say that, 'cause we don't make law--I know. [Audience laughter] Okay, I know, I know. I'm not promoting it, and I'm not advocating it, I'm, you know..."

And the following is even worse, "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life," Sotomayor said.

In any case, a liberal was replaced by a liberal...that should come as no surprise to anybody.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its sad when they are picked based on nationality, sex or race before anything else. I thought that wasnt supposed to be done?
    Since when has Obama nominated anyone for anything except based on race or nationality or sex? Biden, Hillary, etc. Just one more on the list and she takes out two places - female and Hispanic. Just another liberal, unfortunately.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

In any case, a liberal was replaced by a liberal...that should come as no surprise to anybody.[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely correct, we have little to worry about with this appointment. The next to retire will be Ruth Joan Bader Ginsburg, another liberal, so again it will be a liberal trade for a liberal. If one of the conservative judges retires, that's when we need to worry.

Rush is hammering her right now as I type this, but this is what we should come to expect from the boy wonder.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It doesnt matter what is supposed to be done or not done...he is the grand poobah, the second coiming of all that is great in politicians and world leaders. Just sit down and shut your mouth and do as we are told.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Here comes another attack on the second amendment. Little by little he is chipping away.
    One more step and it's on!

jfl

Sotomayor Nomination an Obama Slap at Second Amendment

From the GOA; doesn't look to good

NEWS RELEASE
    Sotomayor Nomination an Obama Slap at Second Amendment

BELLEVUE, WA – The nomination of Second Circuit Court Judge Sonia Sotomayor to replace retiring Justice David Souter on the U.S. Supreme Court is a slap at gun rights and the Secon d Amendment, the Second Amendment Foundation said today.

Judge Sotomayor, a New York native, ruled on a Second Circuit Appeals Court panel that the Second Amendment is not a fundamental right and does not apply to the states in the case of Maloney v. Cuomo. This ruling is in direct conflict with a Ninth Circuit Court ruling in the Nordyke v. King case in California that the Second Amendment is incorporated through the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

“While Democrats in Congress have been making great strides in the gun rights arena, refusing to consider a renewal of the Clinton gun ban, and offering overwhelming bipartisan support for legislation allowing citizens to carry firearms in national parks, President Obama just demonstrated that he prefers judges who oppose Second Amendment rights,” said SAF founder Alan M. Gottlieb.

Incorporation may be taken up by the high court during its next session beginning in October , because attorneys in the Maloney case plan to appeal in late June.

“If the Maloney appeal is accepted by the Supreme Court,” Gottlieb wondered, “would Justice Sotomayor – provided she is confirmed – recuse herself from deliberations?”

Judge Sotomayor has written an opinion that declined to order the release of certain information under the Freedom of Information Act. In one case, according to SCOTUSblog, she wrote that the “unwarranted invasion of privacy” for individuals whose names would be release under an FOIA request outweighed the public interest.

“Would a Justice Sotomayor be just as protective of the privacy rights of concealed carry permit holders if a newspaper wanted to publish that information,” Gottlieb asked. “We hope that during Senate confirmation hearings, someone asks about her positions on incorporation and the privacy rights of gun owners. The Second Amendmen t needs to be expanded, not eviscerated.”
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links