When did we become paranoid idiots?

This is a discussion on When did we become paranoid idiots? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I normally don't like to link to other forum threads, but I was reading this... http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=187738 Go ahead, read 6 or 7 posts. Less than ...

Thread: When did we become paranoid idiots?

When did we become paranoid idiots?

I normally don't like to link to other forum threads, but I was reading this...

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=187738

Go ahead, read 6 or 7 posts.

Less than 50 years ago, anyone could order any gun through the mail. Yet people did not die in droves.

And today, today, people tell me I'm an idiot because I want to go back to that system.

It worked the first time... for decades on end! We didn't have a perceived problem with firearms until all this unconstituitional legislation started coming down the pipes.

It's amazing what you can learn from a little history.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Euc - it has slowly been foisted on us. Lil' bit, by lil' bitty bit.

So many folks with heads in warm places never noticed it was happening - just a few got alarmed but then - seemingly all of a sudden, here we are. Kids got less gun savvy - less education on guns. ''Authorities'' got skeared.

''Gun'' - the word not to write or utter in schools. ''Shooting'' - most used by media to describe a crime - forgetting it is and was a sport for recreational purposes.

The rest of this is the aquired ''gun is bad'' paranoia - which conveniently forgets that the vast majority of folks - law abiding folks - are no risk with guns at all. Instead society has chosen to focus on guns with crime to the exclusion of almost all else. So ''gun = bad'' = ''crime''. QED as they see it.

Thus - control guns and you immediately control crime - not!! Can't have guns here, there - they might have a will of their own and go off!

It has been a slow slippery slope - and it ain't over yet.

Oh yes indeed - oh for the good ol' days.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Euc - it has slowly been foisted on us. Lil' bit, by lil' bitty bit.

So many folks with heads in warm places never noticed it was happening - just a few got alarmed but then - seemingly all of a sudden, here we are. Kids got less gun savvy - less education on guns. ''Authorities'' got skeared.

''Gun'' - the word not to write or utter in schools. ''Shooting'' - most used by media to describe a crime - forgetting it is and was a sport for recreational purposes.

The rest of this is the aquired ''gun is bad'' paranoia - which conveniently forgets that the vast majority of folks - law abiding folks - are no risk with guns at all. Instead society has chosen to focus on guns with crime to the exclusion of almost all else. So ''gun = bad'' = ''crime''. QED as they see it.

Thus - control guns and you immediately control crime - not!! Can't have guns here, there - they might have a will of their own and go off!

It has been a slow slippery slope - and it ain't over yet.

Oh yes indeed - oh for the good ol' days.
    I agree

non of the laws have every stopped gun crime

i wish it was the old days where i could walk into the corner pharmacy and get a bottle of aspirin and a tommygun at the same time

We live in a world where kids can be suspended from school for days for "pointing" a drawing of a pistol, or for carrying a 1" plastic GI Joe pistol as a keychain fob, or for carrying across campus a broomstick decorated like a KY long rifle for a class presentation on pioneers, as part of a zero-tolerance policy against guns. In a culture that can rationalize that kind of reaction to drawings and broomstick toys, it is not surprising that attitudes towards real guns defy reason.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    It's not just zero tolerance for guns, it's zero intelligence. Point in case - a friend of the family's son (pre-teenager, I think) was chosen as the target of the school bully (known to all in the school). Too bad for the bully the son was a black belts in martial arts. Bully got his but kicked. Father was called into principal's office to let him know son was going to be suspended for defending himself! The reasoning was there was a zero tolerance for violence at school. (Through a brillant idea of the father's, the principal was shown the error of his ways, so the son wasn't suspended.) Another time, my niece was sent home from school for bringing a "dangerous item" to school. Chains, as weapons, were banned at her school. She had one of those little stuffed Tweetie birds suspended from her belt on a chain about as thick as a keychain.

We began the road to this with the Miller decision in the 1930s that banned sawed off shotguns because they aren't military weapons, which is false. And nowadays they don't want ordinary citizens having military weapons, which was precisely the whole 2nd Amendment point up until the last few decades, according to that Miller decision. After that I believe came the fully automatic ban.

We also now live in a world where a parent can be arrested for spanking a spoiled, misbehaving child. I got the yardstick a few times when young, I turned out ok (I think).

1952 - 2006
    You gotta remember Euc, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't really out to get you.

This whole anti-gun debate isn't about logic or common sense. It's about an agenda and no matter how ridiculous it may seem to us, they intend to succeed. It isn't that they don't get it. They don't want to get it. It would interfere in their long-range plans.

A lot of what we face in recent history stemmed from the JFK & RFK assassinations. The 1968 Gun Control Act was what really started the momentum towards disarmament of the populace.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Read the first page at THR, brings back many memories. When I was going to high school in GA. I use to carry a Buck 500 on my belt everyday, never had a problem. Took the Hunter's Safety class during my Junior year of high school here in TN (small town north of Nashville) - written test and 5 clays with an 11-87 in the back lot of the school ... that was 1983.

Those were the days when most pick-ups had full gun racks in the back window and a box of shells on the seat, at least during hunting season. Most of 'em parked with their windows open and nobody thought anything of it - unless it started raining, then we'd roll up their windows for them. You could usually tell the "old timers" because the top space held an old shotgun and the bottom would have a crooked walking stick in it. Jeez, I'm gettin' all sentimental now!
    Jack

Those were the days when most pick-ups had full gun racks in the back window and a box of shells on the seat, at least during hunting season. Most of 'em parked with their windows open and nobody thought anything of it - unless it started raining, then we'd roll up their windows for them.
    Kansas used to be like this. Opening day was a "holiday". I had a 22 and a 12 GA. before I was 15, and walked out into the country to plink and hunt.

Not only is Dorothy in the Land of Oz, but where'd Kansas go?

Links