TN Governor to Veto Restaurant Carry Bill:[merged]

This is a discussion on TN Governor to Veto Restaurant Carry Bill:[merged] within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Emiled today Good lunk Tenn....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TN Governor to Veto Restaurant Carry Bill:[merged]

Emiled today Good lunk Tenn.

2. Remove Ads

done...

Yes, I agree with his veto 39% 97 votes
    No, I don't agree with his veto 58% 143 votes
    Unsure 1% 3 votes
    243 total votes
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

What is the Number of States that allow carry in places that serve alcohol?
    38 States allow concealed carry.
    2 States allow only open carry.
    OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

voted, 60% against the veto
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I have voted in the poll. I emailed my representative and senator. I got a response from Representative Gary Moore that he would vote to override the veto.

I emailed both of my reps about the Governors’ veto of the carry bill asking them to vote to over ride it. I received a reply from Deloris within a couple hours by her Blackberry. I thought that was nice, no from letter for sure.

Rich replied this morning. His does not appear to be a form letter either. I hope the other Reps fell the same way as both of mine do…….

Please email or call your rep if you care. They need to hear from YOU !!!!

Here is a copy of what I sent them and their replies at the bottom.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you plan on voting to override the Governors' veto on the "Restaurant" carry bill.

I don't care about going to bars, and I do not even drink. However I would like to be able to go to......

Chilies'
    Red Lobster
    Houston's
    Jim Place East
    Texas Roadhouse
    Longhorn
    Colton's
    Hooters
    O'Charlie's
    El Mexicali
    Bahama Breeze
    TGI Fridays
    Hard Rock Cafe
    Texas De Brazil
    Butcher Shop Steakhouse
    Mortimer's Restaurant

And you could go on, and on......

The media just wants to say Bars. BUT it is not about BARS.....It is about being able to protect myself, and my family in a legal manner, which I can guarantee the criminal does not care about the law anyway.

Thank you for your time.

Frank Robertson
    XXX XXXXXXX Rd.
    Collierville, TN 38017

From: Dolores Gresham [mailto:sen.dolores.gresham@capitol.tn.gov]
    Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2009 5:06 PM
    To: frankrobertson@comcast.net
    Subject: Re: Restaurant carry bill

I do!
    --------------------------
    Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Device

-----Original Message-----
    From: Barrett Rich [mailto:rep.barrett.rich@capitol.tn.gov]
    Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2009 12:05 AM
    To: Frank Robertson
    Subject: RE: Restaurant carry bill

Frank,

I agree 100%. Thank you for emailing me.

Barrett

Representative Barrett Rich
    House District 94
    (615) 741-6890
    Rep.Barrett.Rich@Capitol.TN.Gov

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

sounds like the citizens need to veto the Governor next election

Minnesota doesn't ban carry in bars or restaurants, and you can drink while carrying as long as you don't go above 0.04%. However, I'd never drink and carry, it's stupid. It isn't stupid to want to go eat somewhere that serves alcohol and not have to leave your gun in the car.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I voted. Let the fire mission begin. Only 63% when I voted.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I sent an email and left a phone call last week for TN State Rep Curry Todd the sponsor of HB962 asking him what it would take to overturn the Govenors veto.

While at dinner with my family this evening my cell rang, it was Rep Todd calling and thanking me for my support and to tell me that he was confident the same majority votes that originally passed the bill will overturn the Gov's veto this Tuesday. We chatted for a few minutes and he said he had several more phone calls and emails to return to other 2nd admendment supporters.

How great it was for me to interact with one of our politicians that is truly "working for the people".

VIP Member
    Maybe this bill would have passed if it was only about carrying in restuarants and not "bars". The media ripped it apart because of it.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    Maybe this bill would have passed if it was only about carrying in restuarants and not "bars". The media ripped it apart because of it.
    I don't really think that is it...the "bars" nonsense is just media mis-information. Tennessee does not have a legal definition of a "bar." The bill, as ultimately amended, said this:

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1305(c), is amended by adding the following language as a new, appropriately designated subdivision:

(3)

(A) Authorized to carry a firearm under 39-17-1351 who is not consuming beer, wine or any alcoholic beverage, and is within the confines of a restaurant that is open to the public and serves alcoholic beverages, wine or beer.

(B) As used in this subdivision (c)(3), “restaurant” means any public place kept, used, maintained, advertised and held out to the public as a place where meals are served and where meals are actually and regularly served, such place being provided with adequate and sanitary kitchen and dining room equipment, having employed therein a sufficient number and kind of employees to prepare, cook and serve suitable food for its guests. At least one (1) meal per day shall be served at least five (5) days a week, with the exception of holidays, vacations and periods of redecorating, and the serving of such meals shall be the principal business conducted.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect on June 1, 2009, the public welfare requiring it.
    Many "honky-tonks" would not fit this definition, so it was really a "guns-in-eateries" bill...but that wouldn't have sounded so ominous in the news reports.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Please contact Governor Bredesen TODAY and respectfully urge him to sign HB962 and HB716. The Governor can be reached by phone at (615)741-2001 or email Phil.Bredesen@tn.gov.

I just called and asked to speak with the Governor only to be told he was not available to take my call. The lady who answered asked the purpose of my call and took my statement as I asked the Governor to re-consider his plan to veto HB962.

I encourage everyone in Tennessee to do the same. I had already sent him an email a couple of weeks asking him to sign this into law.
    Here is an email response from Gov Bredesen...

June 3, 2009

Dear Doug:

Thank you for contacting me about gun-related bills which have been considered by the General Assembly this year.

Let me be very clear: I am a strong supporter of the right to keep and bear arms. I am, and have always been, committed to preserving the rights of the Second Amendment. They are basic American rights, protected by the United States Constitution and the Tennessee Constitution as well. Even so, these rights, for more than two centuries, have come with reasonable and necessary rules and guidelines. For this reason, I carefully consider each bill that reaches my desk and evaluate it on its own merits.

As you know, I decided to veto House Bill 962, which would permit the possession of firearms in Tennessee restaurants and bars. In my view, this particular bill crossed the line of reason.

I have been a gun owner for more than 50 years. When I was a young man, I took my first gun safety class-sponsored by the NRA-at my high school. There was one message conveyed during that class that has been imprinted on me since, and it was this: guns and alcohol don't mix. That is as true today as it was then.

It is because of this principle that Tennessee state law has long prohibited the possession of firearms in places that serve alcohol. House Bill 962 would remove this safeguard in a manner that I, as well as many law enforcement officers, believe would be reckless and lacking safeguards to ensure public safety. A key role of government is to ensure public safety. To do that, government must strike a balance between the rights afforded to us by the Constitution and common-sense rules that must be applied to the exercise of these rights.

I believe we can exercise our second amendment rights and common sense at the same time - and guns and bars simply don't mix. Because of this, I vetoed this bill and respectfully asked the legislature to rethink this issue.

As other bills reach my desk-including legislation related to guns in parks, loaded firearms in automobiles, and others-I intend to review them carefully with both the Constitutional rights of gun owners and the safety of the general public in mind. Please be assured that your views are, and will remain, important to me on these issues and others related to state government.

Warmest regards,

Phil Bredesen

Bill update...............

Vote in the house. 69-27.

tomorrow, at 9, the senate votes.

Find your Senator by entering your street address here:

Legislators - TN General Assembly

If the vote is tomorrow, you may need to call today and leave a message; I doubt they'll check email in time.

Senate voted to override the veto about 30 min ago. Sen. Jackson gave some awesome closing remarks. He did clarify after the vote, since the June 1 enactment date of the original legislation has passed, the new law will go into effect on July 14, 2009--40 days from today. Way to go!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links