Ohio: restaurant carry bill introduced

This is a discussion on Ohio: restaurant carry bill introduced within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today, House Bill 203 was introduced in the Ohio House of Representatives. This allows licensees to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol as long as ...

Thread: Ohio: restaurant carry bill introduced

Today, House Bill 203 was introduced in the Ohio House of Representatives. This allows licensees to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol as long as they don't consume alcohol.

Here is the bill:

Laws, Acts, and Legislation

Please contact your State Representative and ask him/her to support HB 203. If you don't know who your representative is, visit the House web site and plug in your zip code in the box in the right column.

The Ohio House of Representatives

Ohioans for Concealed Carry have posted an article about the bill on their web site.

Ohioans For Concealed Carry - The Premier Gun Rights Organization in Ohio Since 1999 - Bill to remove ban on self-defense while dining introduced!

This is great hope it passes

We need to get this one passed. I'm getting tired of fast food.
    We can't stop here...this is bat country.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

I just sent off an e-mail to my rep.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

As I read this it would also allow carrying in a state liquor store is my interpretation correct. Either way I hope it passes.

For those of you not familiar with Ohio's CCW it goes like this... In 2004 Ohio passed CCW at this time we lost OC fast forward to 9-8-08 we get OC back and expand rights. we are slowly expanding CC as the libs realize that crime is dropping and that there are no wild west shootouts in the streets. unfortunately Ohio is not done with perfecting CCW but we are getting there. I wish we had more states in our reciprocity list ( I bet we all do) the thinking was in 2004 flawed ccw is better than no ccw. in Sept 08 we also passed the castle law no more fleeing from our own homes.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

My email to my rep:

Representative Boyd,

House Bill 203 has been introduced and I respectfully ask that you support it. It fixes a silly gap in Ohio's gun laws, one that few other states have.

As a licensed carrier of a concealed weapon, I have passed a thorough background check, been fingerprinted, and passed a safety, legal, and handling course. I carry strictly for self protection, not because I am a "Rambo" who gets thrills from having a gun. I see it as no different from wearing a seat belt or having a smoke detector and fire extinguishers in my home.

Current Ohio law allows private businesses to prohibit CCW licensees from carrying in their establishments by posting signs to that effect. Though I disagree with the policy, I support their right to do so. Fortunately, the overwhelming majority of Ohio businesses, locally and nationally owned, do not prohibit law abiding citizens from carrying on their premises. It has been this way for many years in many states without the feared "Wild West" scenarios.

However, Ohio has a complete prohibition on CCW licensees carrying in any establishment that serves alcohol *even if the licensee does not drink*. This is absurd. I don't drink alcohol. Barely one block from my home in University Heights is a Burger King on Cedar Road. I can eat a hamburger, fries and a Dr. Pepper there while legally carrying. The next night, eating the identical meal at the Applebees across the street makes me a felon.

If HB 203 passes, no right would be taken from Class D alcohol-serving establishments, they would simply be placed at the same level as any other business. If they do not want law abiding citizens carrying in their establishments, they could post signs like any other store.

We do not have to guess at safety concerns, we need only look at the records in the dozens of other states that have already had this policy. Concerns of drunken CCW holders going nuts and shooting up bars and restaurants have not been borne out.

Rep. Boyd, I know that your position on gun control in general is likely different from mine, but that's not the issue here. Ohio's CCW law has been in place for years now and has not caused violent crime to increase; indeed, there is no evidence that liberalized CCW laws have caused violent crime to increase in any state. Whether you agree with it or not, surely you can see the lack of logic in the current policy of not allowing non-drinking licensees the same right to self defense that they would have in any other establishment that allows it. Rejecting this bill will not further the pro-gun control agenda, it will merely embitter the pro-2nd Amendment side, who will see only pointless resistance to an obviously ridiculous policy.

I urge you to support House Bill 203.

Michigan changed it's law a few years after shall issus was signed to allow it. No problems here.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

wpk
    I've sent some emails as well, even one to a local talk-radio host asking him to have people write in as well. We really need this one, it's one of the "reasonable" restrictions that really sticks in my craw.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

If they're going to prohibit CCW holders from going into a restaurant that serves alcohol because they might become intoxicated. Then they shouldn't allow people to drive to a restaurant.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

VIP Member
    Shameless bump.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Hang in there sooner or later it will get passed.

Supertac 45-do we live in different Michigans??

No church carry, no bars-even when NOT dinking and half a dozen others.

They can all be removed if we contact our legislators and get the preesent bill (# unknown) to remove all passed!!

Here is the responce I recieved from my rep:

Thank you for your letter of concern. It is important to me to hear the views of my constituents and I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind as we move forward to consider this legislation. Please do not hesitate to contact my office again regarding this or any future concern, and thank you again for taking the time to write to me.

Representative Vernon Sykes

State Representative

44th Ohio House District
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Res Ipsa Loquitur

Links