Defensive Carry banner

S593 Signed!

796 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  cphilip 
#1 ·
Gov. Sanford signed S593 into law.

This allows SC CWP holders to have their weapons on school grounds.

Though the bill was ammended to force us to put the weapon in a glove box, console or trunk compartment, we are allowed to have our weapons on school grounds with a CWP.

Grass Roots Gun Rights does another well done job!

#3 ·
VA is the same way. It use to be that somebody with a CPL couldn't bring their weapon on school grounds. Now as long as you don't get out of the car you can carry onto campus to pick up your child. It's a step in the right direction.

#4 ·
Too bad you can't leave it holstered on your body, but this is much better than it was.

Looking for a silver lining in the amendment that requires placing your gun in the console, etc., one benefit is it provides a teaching opportunity every day you drop/pickup your child at school (that is, if you transfer to/from your CCW holster while in the car): they are reminded you carry a gun, they see it as a normal every-day occurrence, and they see you obeying the law.

My daughter sees one of my guns every day since I have one that goes in a holster between the front-seat console and her seat. Sometimes I hand it to her and she places it there. As a result, she is much more comfortable handling guns now than when she first started. She's figured out it's not going to bite her or fire itself.

Perhaps you can turn the inconvenience and absurdity of your new law into a real plus for your children.

#7 ·
Oh, I wasn't thinking about those who work at a school. I was thinking in terms of dropping kids off at school.

For those who work at a school, that is great news! At least you can be armed on your trip to and from school. You also have some access to a firearm if needed, although delayed and perhaps with repercussions, but there if needed, i.e. the recent college shooting where an active shooter was detained after someone retrieved a weapon from a car.

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.