Refuting VPC garbage

Refuting VPC garbage

This is a discussion on Refuting VPC garbage within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anti-gun ''statistics'' - nice editorial speaking for us - getting some actual facts instead of statistical hype! http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky...l/14073361.htm ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Don't believe anti-gun statistics By Robert ...

Assistant Administrator

Refuting VPC garbage

Anti-gun ''statistics'' - nice editorial speaking for us - getting some actual facts instead of statistical hype!

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky...l/14073361.htm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Don't believe anti-gun statistics

By Robert L. Pruden

Henry Riekert's column cites the Violence Policy Center as a "well respected, non-profit, gun control advocacy group" -- true, if citing selective statistics and ignoring data that do not support yours is respectable.

One of the group's stated goals is a nationwide ban on the private possession of handguns. That isn't gun control; it's gun elimination.
    The figure Riekert cites -- 5,314 arrests of Texas concealed-carry licensees -- sounds incriminating until you look behind the raw numbers. Total arrests spread over the period selected (Jan. 1, 1996, to Aug. 31, 2001) averages 1,138 a year. That includes arrests for all offenses, including traffic arrests.

Since there were about 213,000 concealed-carry licenses issued during that period, that calculates to a percentage of 0.5 percent a year being arrested, not exactly a staggering rate.

And I hope Riekert is not confusing arrests with convictions; they are not the same. Texas Department of Public Safety records show that 55 percent of the concealed-carry licensees arrested were cleared of violent offenses.

The department also says that concealed-carry licensees' frequency of arrest for violent offenses is only 17 percent that of the general public. The rate for non-violent offenses is even lower: only 7 percent.

How about the revocation rate of concealed-carry licenses in Texas? That will indicate how violent those licensees are. Between Jan. 1, 1996, and May 1, 2002, 1,724 licenses were revoked out of 240,506 issued; a revocation rate of .07 percent. That's not an overwhelming number and certainly does not indicate the rampant lawlessness Riekert would have you believe.

In Florida, 1,123,373 concealed-carry licenses were issued between Oct. 1, 1987, and Feb. 28. Only 157 licenses have been revoked because the licensee used a firearm while committing a crime. That's a rate of one 0.01 percent. Also, 2,976 licenses have been revoked for all offenses; that's a rate of 0.26 percent. Not what one would call a crime wave.

How about a couple of quotes from Texas officials regarding the concealed-carry law?

District Attorney John B. Holmes of Houston said, "I (felt) that such legislation ... present(ed) a clear and present danger to law-abiding citizens by placing more handguns on our streets. Boy was I wrong. Our experience in Harris County, and indeed statewide, has proven my initial fears absolutely groundless."

Glenn White, president of the Dallas Police Association said, "All the horror stories I thought would come to pass didn't happen ... I think it's worked out well, and that says good things about citizens who have permits. I'm a convert."

In 1996, many of us said that passing Kentucky's concealed-carry law would not lead to blood in the streets, and it hasn't.
    As for making the names of concealed-carry licensees public, to what purpose? Riekert implies that under the legislation he opposes, House Bill 290, a woman being stalked would not be able to find out whether her stalker had a concealed-carry license.
    But the bill clarifies that once an EPO or DVO is issued against a licensee, a law enforcement officer is immediately dispatched to confiscate the license.

Straw men are easy to knock down, but they don't make much of a case.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Very nice article - I hope the wires pick it up and distribute it too. Could you tell if it has gone to some of the national groups for distribution? NRA and some others might like to distribute it!

Assistant Administrator
    R&G - my bad - forgot to mention. This was from NRA-ILA today
    Chris - P95

Lead Moderator
    I always think those type of articles are great. I would really like to see more of them written by non-bias parties. Sometimes I think that would have a bigger impact with the public. (Not trying to slam the NRA though.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Good article and shows the overwhelming majority of us are responsible citizens. Even so, I'm a bit surprised that the Texas numbers quoted (while still a small percentage) are even as high as they are. I would've guessed they'd be similar to Florida's numbers for revocation and conviction. Anybody have ideas as to why the percentages seem higher? Just curious.
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    Anybody have ideas as to why the percentages seem higher?
    That puzzled me a bit Jack but - I certainly would put more credence on these figures than many!

Would be good to have some amplification on that if anyone could help.
    Chris - P95

1943 - 2009

Would The VPC Tell A Lie?

Well, of course they would.

Statistics can be manipulated to "prove" anything.

As my college forestry professor liked to say, "Figures lie and liars figure".

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Links