Tennessee House Overrides Governor's Veto of HB0962

This is a discussion on Tennessee House Overrides Governor's Veto of HB0962 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Tennessee House voted 69 to 27 to override Governor Bredesen's veto of the "guns in eateries" bill. The Senate will vote tomorrow....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee House Overrides Governor's Veto of HB0962

VIP Member

The Tennessee House voted 69 to 27 to override Governor Bredesen's veto of the "guns in eateries" bill. The Senate will vote tomorrow.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

THIS IS GREAT!! Thanks for letting us know.

wpk
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Isn't it great that there are "checks & balances" in our state legislatures!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Great.. Co-Winkee-Dinkee?

I got my reply from the gov. today on why he vetoed it.
    02PSD4ME

Is it expected to pass the Senate?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Here is the Governor's response to my email...

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post

Here is an email response from Gov Bredesen...

June 3, 2009

Dear Doug:

Thank you for contacting me about gun-related bills which have been considered by the General Assembly this year.

Let me be very clear: I am a strong supporter of the right to keep and bear arms. I am, and have always been, committed to preserving the rights of the Second Amendment. They are basic American rights, protected by the United States Constitution and the Tennessee Constitution as well. Even so, these rights, for more than two centuries, have come with reasonable and necessary rules and guidelines. For this reason, I carefully consider each bill that reaches my desk and evaluate it on its own merits.

As you know, I decided to veto House Bill 962, which would permit the possession of firearms in Tennessee restaurants and bars. In my view, this particular bill crossed the line of reason.

I have been a gun owner for more than 50 years. When I was a young man, I took my first gun safety class-sponsored by the NRA-at my high school. There was one message conveyed during that class that has been imprinted on me since, and it was this: guns and alcohol don't mix. That is as true today as it was then.

It is because of this principle that Tennessee state law has long prohibited the possession of firearms in places that serve alcohol. House Bill 962 would remove this safeguard in a manner that I, as well as many law enforcement officers, believe would be reckless and lacking safeguards to ensure public safety. A key role of government is to ensure public safety. To do that, government must strike a balance between the rights afforded to us by the Constitution and common-sense rules that must be applied to the exercise of these rights.

I believe we can exercise our second amendment rights and common sense at the same time - and guns and bars simply don't mix. Because of this, I vetoed this bill and respectfully asked the legislature to rethink this issue.

As other bills reach my desk-including legislation related to guns in parks, loaded firearms in automobiles, and others-I intend to review them carefully with both the Constitutional rights of gun owners and the safety of the general public in mind. Please be assured that your views are, and will remain, important to me on these issues and others related to state government.

Warmest regards,

Phil Bredesen

I love the way this is going but I do have one question. If this is overridden, does this take effect immediately?

It should pass the Senate with no problem. It passed originally with a bigger percentage than it did in the House.

If this is overridden, does this take effect immediately?
    From what I've read from a lot of "internet lawyers", since the bill was written with an effective date of June 1, then if and when the veto is overridden the law will be effective immediately. Regardless of when, it will be soon. Probably tomorrow.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

ALL RIGHT!!

SORRY I JUST FOUND THE SMILIES LOL

that last one was for the Gov. LOL

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It should, as waynesan said. The conference committee report passed the Senate twenty-four to seven, and is essentially the same bill the Senate has passed for four-plus years. The House was the hold-up, not because the votes weren't there on the floor, but because Speaker emeritas (yes, they actually voted him the title) never let the bill get to the floor, using his ex officio status as a member of all committees to kill it for many years. Only seventeen votes are needed in the Senate to override the governor's veto.

Quote Originally Posted by Agape View Post
    If this is overridden, does this take effect immediately?
    Quote Originally Posted by waynesan View Post
    From what I've read from a lot of "internet lawyers", since the bill was written with an effective date of June 1, then if and when the veto is overridden the law will be effective immediately. Regardless of when, it will be soon. Probably tomorrow.
    If all goes as expected, and the Senate votes to override the veto tomorrow, the bill will become effective as soon as both Speakers sign it, probably a day or so after the Senate override vote.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Wow! That is excellent news!!!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Man, now why can't North Carolina do that!!
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Man, now why can't North Carolina do that!!
    It takes work and determination grandma4. You got to just keep plugging away.

As was mentioned in a previous post - the former House Speaker Jimmy Naifeh used the power of his position to kill most of the pro gun legislation that came before him for the past several years. In many ways he had more power than the governor.

But in the last election the Republicans gained a bare majority in the House and a Republican was voted in as Speaker. This allowed all the bills that had been killed in committees by Naifeh to make it to the House floor and pro gun Republicans and Democrats (of which there are many) voted in favor of the laws as they were given the chance.

Lesson learned?....Elections matter.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

VIP Member
    YOU GO NEIGHBOR !!!!!!!!!!
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links