Kansas CC Update Wednesday

This is a discussion on Kansas CC Update Wednesday within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From NRA_ILA: Weapons measure returns By DAVID KLEPPER The Star’s Topeka correspondent “This will give Kansans the choice to have the means to protect themselves.” ...

Thread: Kansas CC Update Wednesday

Post Kansas CC Update (Tuesday 3/14, NOT Wednesday as Originally Posted)

From NRA_ILA:

Weapons measure returns
    By DAVID KLEPPER
    The Star’s Topeka correspondent

“This will give Kansans the choice to have the means to protect themselves.”
    Sen. Phil Journey

TOPEKA — The Kansas Legislature is poised to send another concealed-weapons law to Gov. Kathleen Sebelius.

The House gave the proposal an initial endorsement Monday. A final vote is set for today. The measure will almost certainly pass, but the question is whether enough House members will band together to block an expected veto from the governor. The bill has already passed the Senate by a comfortable margin.

Senate Bill 418 would allow Kansans over 21 who pass a background check and undergo training to carry a concealed handgun in public. Convicted felons, or those with a criminal history of drug use, domestic violence or multiple DUIs would be barred.

Permit holders would not be allowed to carry their weapons inside schools, bars, sporting events, government buildings and, in the version of the bill passed by the House, places of worship. Private businesses could prohibit concealed weapons if they placed a sign at the entrance.

Missouri has a concealed-weapons law, as do 45 other states.

Kansas lawmakers repeatedly have passed similar measures, which have then met with a veto — in 2004 by Sebelius, a Democrat, and in 1997 by Gov. Bill Graves, a Republican.

Although she said she won’t make a firm decision until the bill crosses her desk, Sebelius said Monday she has concerns about the proposal. Sebelius said she was pleased to support giving concealed-weapons permits to retired law enforcement officers. But she said she can’t ignore the businesses, law enforcement groups and local officials who fear an uptick in gun violence.

Two thirds of both chambers must vote to override a gubernatorial veto. Sen. Phil Journey, a Haysville Republican and the architect of the bill, said he’s confident he’ll have the votes to overrule Sebelius.

“This will give Kansans the choice to have the means to protect themselves,” he said.

If the bill is made law, estimates are that within five years, about 20,000 Kansans will apply for the permits.

Both sides of the issue come armed with studies that they say back up their point. Gun-rights groups such as the National Rifle Association argue that states with concealed-weapons laws see a reduction in violent crime.

Organizations such as the Violence Policy Center maintain that concealed-weapons laws can lead to vigilantism.

Gun policy researcher David Kopel said concealed-weapons laws have been passed in most states with very little effect, and that most of the dire warnings offered by critics are unfounded.

“If you push the data around enough, you can make it say what you want,” said Kopel, a researcher at Colorado’s Independence Institute and a former instructor at New York University’s law school. “They’re doing it in Missouri, and it’s OK. They’re doing it in Oklahoma, and it’s OK. They’re doing it in Florida, and even they’re OK.”

Still, a number of law enforcement groups, including the Lenexa and the Overland Park police departments, and local chambers of commerce oppose the proposal.

And several lawmakers say they have no problem with Kansas being one of only four states to prohibit all concealed weapons.

“There’s no doubt that somewhere down the road, somebody in this state is going to be carrying and they’re going to think they’re protected,” said Rep. Jim Yonally, an Overland Park Republican. “They’re going to wind up being dead.”

On the Web

The bill is S.B. 418. The bill’s text and explanation are available on the Internet at www.kslegislature.org.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 14th, 2006 at 07:21 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I am ever hopeful for those guys.
    ?There?s no doubt that somewhere down the road, somebody in this state is going to be carrying and they?re going to think they?re protected,? said Rep. Jim Yonally, an Overland Park Republican. ?They?re going to wind up being dead.?
    But I ask you - how idiotic of a statement is this?? Compare that with NOT carrying, and NOT being protected - and ending up dead. Sheesh!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Gee Overland Park and Lenexa PDs are opposed to CCW and a RINO from that area made a dumb statement. I'm so surprised.

Go Kansas. I live 15 miles away, but don't really visit because I cannot carry there. With the taxes Kansas charges I would think they would like me spending my money on their side of the border. Last time I bought something there I paid 11.85% in sales tax.

-Scott-

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    The funny thing, or should I say annoying. No matter how many times you present these antis with statistical facts from every other state that allows CCW, they still think that their state will become a war zone.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    But I ask you - how idiotic of a statement is this?? Compare that with NOT carrying, and NOT being protected - and ending up dead. Sheesh!
    Chris,

That statement jumped off the page at me as well. Pretty incredible logic, or lack thereof. Some people just don't get it...

Best wishes to all of you in Kansas. I hope you don't have to play the veto override game.

KC

I wonder if this RINO also thinks that more people get killed because they are wearing seat belts when they drive?

Hey, I've got my seatbelt on, I can just zip right through those red lights and never get a scratch, right????? I'm protected!

I'm surprised that he isn't campaigning against airbags!

What a maroon!
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

Links