Fed up with reciprocity patchwork? Support this bill!

This is a discussion on Fed up with reciprocity patchwork? Support this bill! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NO on any federal law, none, zero. Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho do not want the laws of MA, NJ, CT, or NY which is what ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 133

Thread: Fed up with reciprocity patchwork? Support this bill!

  1. #16
    Ex Member Array DOGOFWAR01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WYOMING
    Posts
    562
    NO on any federal law, none, zero. Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho do not want the laws of MA, NJ, CT, or NY which is what would happen and be the standard.

    Your problem you fix it, go to work and quit whinning !

    Join your State Associations and local clubs - band together get the NRA, SAF, GOZ, SAS involved on your side and change your state and local laws. Do not try to drag the rest of the country into your mess of laws.

    Do not know where to start ? Contact in Lynne Roberts in MA with "GOAL of MA" .

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Member Array lenf45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    19
    Lenf45 you are wise to be apprehensive about traveling through MA with a firearm as an unlicensed non-resident.
    The Federal protections do not fully envelope your or most peoples real world situations as related to travel through and amongst this former state of the founding fathers.
    If I were you knowing what I know I too would do the exact same thing you have been doing which is to not at all bring a firearm, magazine, or ammunition in to the state of MA.


    Welcome to MA, USA...2009. :|

    - Janq

    Thanks for the info.

  4. #18
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,599
    I'm mixed on this bill..... the reason, because do we want to "let" the Federal Govt take over this role on carrying ? The reason I say this is, then the Fedl Govt can then modify the bill and begin defining what's acceptable, what isn't , who can / can't, etc.... thus getting control of it and away from the States.

    As mixed up as things are, I"m not sure that "power" should be in the Fed's hands.... and politics.

  5. #19
    Senior Member Array rmilchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    780
    I'm also confused. I thought the bill stated if you have a resident permit from state A, every other state has to accept it while you are in the state.

  6. #20
    Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I'm mixed on this bill..... the reason, because do we want to "let" the Federal Govt take over this role on carrying ? The reason I say this is, then the Fedl Govt can then modify the bill and begin defining what's acceptable, what isn't , who can / can't, etc.... thus getting control of it and away from the States.

    As mixed up as things are, I"m not sure that "power" should be in the Fed's hands.... and politics.
    I'm also mixed. While I think this would make life easier going to and fro, it violates states rights, and gives the fed too much power over firearms. We need to fight this stuff on a state level until all 50 states honor all 50 states. Leave the feds out of it.

    This coming from a guy who lives in PA... I'm landlocked by NY, NJ, DE, MD and OH which doesn't honor PA permits. Anytime I cross a border I either can't bring it, or have to lock it in the trunk. It gets annoying.

  7. #21
    Senior Member Array rmilchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    780
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I'm also mixed. While I think this would make life easier going to and fro, it violates states rights, and gives the fed too much power over firearms. We need to fight this stuff on a state level until all 50 states honor all 50 states. Leave the feds out of it.

    This coming from a guy who lives in PA... I'm landlocked by NY, NJ, DE, MD and OH which doesn't honor PA permits. Anytime I cross a border I either can't bring it, or have to lock it in the trunk. It gets annoying.
    Get a Florida permit and you are good in DE and OH.

  8. #22
    Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    Get a Florida permit and you are good in DE and OH.
    Already have a Maine one... that means I'm good to go in DE, I could always OC in DE without a permit and be ok...

    I'm still waiting on my FL permit.

  9. #23
    VIP Member Array Janq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,781
    Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    Get a Florida permit and you are good in DE and OH.
    But...One has to be double sure that DE and OH, or for that matter any other state of ones selection, honors the permit of a third party state as related to that of the permit holder being a _non-resident_ permit holder.
    This is a key item that folks gloss over state to state in their I'm going to just get a FL permit thoughts...which is not a given in every state.

    Do not assume.

    Go read the interstate compact of a given third party state that one might wish to travel into, such as DE or OH, and be doubly sure to read the detail in its entirety and with full context. Also do _same_ for the third party permit state of which one might possess, such as Florida. Interstate compacts are not all the same state to state amongst or between states.
    To not do so is risking ones freedoms and potentially unlawful possession/carry of a firearm charges which in many if not most states rounds out to be a felony.

    For example I have a wallet full of resident (VA and MA) and non-resident state firearm permits including that of FL, so as to cover interstate travel whilst possessing and/or carrying a firearm, because a lot of states that I travel amongst do not recognize non-resident permits and/or specifically non-resident FL specific permits.

    Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law. :|

    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

    "A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

  10. #24
    Senior Member Array rmilchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    780
    OH and DE are good with a non-resident FL permit, soon WV will be added to the list.

  11. #25
    Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    2,736
    The fact of the matter is all the CCW reciprocity between states is unconstitutional.

    Artcle 1 Section 10:

    No state shall, without the consent of Congress,... enter into any agreement or compact with another state

    Of course, many of the people here are unconcerned with the Constitution if it is contrary to their perceived notions. Kind of like liberals/libertarians.

  12. #26
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    The fact of the matter is all the CCW reciprocity between states is unconstitutional.

    Artcle 1 Section 10:

    No state shall, without the consent of Congress,... enter into any agreement or compact with another state

    Of course, many of the people here are unconcerned with the Constitution if it is contrary to their perceived notions. Kind of like liberals/libertarians.
    The way reciprocity works now it is not really an agreement between
    two states. If my state chooses to honor the CCW that your state issues we do not eneter into any agreement or discussion with your state. We honor it regardless of whether or not you might approve ours. It is totally one sided, there is no compact that I have ever heard of.

    Michael

  13. #27
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by sirdarksoul View Post
    HR 197

    National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2009 - Amends the federal criminal code to establish a national standard for the carrying of concealed firearms (other than a machinegun or destructive device) by non-residents. Authorizes a person who has a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm in one state and who is not prohibited from carrying a firearm under federal law to carry a concealed firearm in another state in accordance with the restrictions of that state or as specified under this Act.

    Similar bills with nearly identical language are HR 1620, S 371 and S 845.
    This is just one more item we would be giving up to the federal government. The feds should have no say in it at all as far as i'm concerned.

    Michael

  14. #28
    VIP Member Array Thanis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,347
    I dislike non-reciprocity issues, and would support the concept of a national reciprocity. At the same time, sometimes I wonder what I will lose if a national standard was set.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

  15. #29
    Senior Member Array rhinokrk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    1,036
    Quote Originally Posted by sirdarksoul View Post
    HR 197

    National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2009 - Amends the federal criminal code to establish a national standard for the carrying of concealed firearms (other than a machinegun or destructive device) by non-residents. Authorizes a person who has a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm in one state and who is not prohibited from carrying a firearm under federal law to carry a concealed firearm in another state in accordance with the restrictions of that state or as specified under this Act.

    Similar bills with nearly identical language are HR 1620, S 371 and S 845.
    OK, it's late so I didn't read anything past the first page, and I don't know if anyone's covered this yet.

    Please, please, please don't evolve the Federal Government in my CFP. If your permit isn't up to standards you would like, do something about it locally. As a Utah resident, I don't want someone from New Jersey, New York, California, DC, etc having anything to say about fees, training, storage requirements, wait times, registration, etc. A lot of people think in these types of bills in the way they are written wouldn't give them the power to do so, but I'm quite sure it would get slipped in at the final hour.

    I'd NEVER ENDORSE ANYTHING THAT ALLOWS THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO TOUCH MY PERMIT, IN ANY WAY!

    My State knows what's best for the people in it's community, and the laws reflect that. Again if yours does not. change the leadership.

    Just my hick UT opinion.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

  16. #30
    Senior Member Array lance22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,032
    The less the Federal Govt interferes with my life the better. They are already far beyond their constitutionally mandated limitations and I will not encourage them to go even farther, even if they are dangling a carrot in my face that would tempt me.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Reciprocity Bill Weaseling
    By randytulsa2 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 23rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
  2. CCW Reciprocity Amendment - Please support(merged)
    By Chevy-SS in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: May 24th, 2008, 09:50 AM
  3. What ever happened to Nevada Reciprocity Bill
    By Timmy Jimmy in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: June 21st, 2007, 10:49 PM
  4. Mental Health Disclosure Bill & NRA support ?
    By Shizzlemah in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 25th, 2007, 07:34 PM
  5. Support National Reciprocity Bill H.R. 4547
    By ArmyCop in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 4th, 2006, 07:10 AM

Search tags for this page

concealed weapons resoprocity
,
expert authors in our free article directory ca concealed weapon permit
,

expert authors in our free article directory concealed weapon permit laws

,
expert authors in our free article directory georgia drivers license renewals
,
expert authors in our free article directory national rifle association
,
expert authors in our free article directory seat belt law
,

expert authors in our free article directory sig arms firearms

,
expert authors in our free article directory washington conceled weapons permit
,
federal concealed carry reciprocity bill s 845
,

in the section on defensive driving, the author warns: never underestimate the power of people in groups

,
ltc reciprocity law fed
,
national ltc reciprocity legislation
,
reciprocity support bills
,
two separate national reciprocity bills
,

what is the hr bill number that makes ccw same as driver licsence?

Click on a term to search for related topics.