Defensive Carry banner

Kansas City Star CCW Article!

865 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  4my sons 
#1 ·
As dumb as this reporter is she is actually making sense in this article she wrote in today’s (Friday 3/17/2006) paper.

Even though she is taking quite a few pot shots at us in the article she knows all to well what we in Missouri have done to our political folk by vetoing CCW in Missouri before it passed in 04'. She even touches on it and looks as if she is trying to save her Governor (Kathleen Sebelius) from making the same mistake and concentrate on what really matters and not waste time and money on an eventual losing fight anyway.

By the way the Star is a typical anti news paper.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansa...68.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

Posted on Fri, Mar. 17, 2006
Concealed carry in KansasWave a white flag, move to bigger issues
By BARBARA SHELLY
The Kansas City Star

A veto override makes a governor look bad, and pro-gun legislators might have the votes to override you on concealed carry. If they don’t this year, they’ll try next year.

To: Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius

Subject: Unsolicited advice

Dear Gov. Sebelius:

Don’t take a bullet on concealed carry.

This is more than a little strange, me telling a governor not to veto a bill allowing people to walk around with handguns in their pockets and purses. I don’t like guns and don’t care for groups that think it’s their God- and Constitution-given duty to defend irresponsible gun sales and oppose trigger-lock laws.

But there’s something else I don’t like: seeing good leaders squander political capital on concealed carry. It’s a principled stand but ultimately a loser. You can veto the bill, but sooner or later Kansans will legally pack hidden weapons. The advocates and the gun lobby won’t rest until they do.

I know this, because I live in Missouri, home of the first and probably the only statewide referendum on concealed carry. You may recall that in 1999, slightly more than half of us said we wanted it to remain unlawful. Four years later the Missouri legislature made it law anyway.

Some prominent Democrats were mortally wounded in the battle. Then-Gov. Bob Holden vetoed the legislation and watched members of his own party join Republicans to override the veto. Then-U.S. Sen. Jean Carnahan went skeet-shooting in the campaign season but never convinced gun-loving rural voters she was one of them. Some observers think Al Gore’s opposition to concealed carry cost him Missouri’s electoral vote in the 2000 election, when every state counted.

And you know what? It wasn’t worth it.

Like many city dwellers, I think packing guns in public places is bad policy. But I must agree with my gun-backing friends and correspondents that the sky hasn’t fallen since Missouri made it lawful.

You won’t get much help from statistics. Both sides use them to make their case and shoot down assertions made by the other side.

Missouri’s experience with concealed carry is too new to draw any conclusions, anyway. And it would be wrong to connect Kansas City’s spike in homicides last year with concealed carry by law-abiding citizens. Virtually all of the people charged with the murders had criminal records and couldn’t legally possess guns.

Sooner or later one of those worst-case scenarios we opponents imagined will become reality in a public way. A child will pull a loaded gun from a distracted dad’s pocket. A thief will wrestle a handgun from an intended victim. The result will be catastrophe.

But it will be the exception. And government can’t operate on a foundation of anecdotes, exceptions and rarely realized fears.

You, Gov. Sebelius, are in an elite but lonely club. Only four governors can say their states don’t allow concealed carry. But keeping up your membership is a heck of a lot of work.

A veto override makes a governor look bad, and pro-gun legislators might have the votes to override you on concealed carry. If they don’t this year, they’ll try next year. They’ll keep trying until they get it, because gun folks are more vociferous and tenacious about wanting concealed carry than opponents are about wanting to keep it banned. Plus, they’ve got deep pockets.

How much political capital will you expend on concealed carry? Might it not be better to get it out of the way and work on other things, such as boosting the Kansas economy, reaching an agreement on school financing and getting re-elected?

Some of my gun-fearing pals will say I’ve abandoned my principles. I prefer to think I’ve discovered pragmatism. Let’s off-load concealed carry and work on keeping college tuition affordable for immigrant students who are working on becoming U.S. citizens.

Besides, as we anti-gun Missourians can tell you, there’s more than one way to object to a policy. Given a choice, we favor businesses that prohibit concealed guns on their premises.

Just a little food for thought. You don’t have to like the concealed-carry bill. You don’t even have to sign it. Let it become law without your signature and save your ammunition for a winnable cause.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Barbara Shelly is a member of the Editorial Board. To reach her, call (816) 234-4594 or send e-mail to bshelly@kcstar.com.

Ti.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ti Carry said:
Sooner or later one of those worst-case scenarios we opponents imagined will become reality in a public way. A child will pull a loaded gun from a distracted dad’s pocket. A thief will wrestle a handgun from an intended victim. The result will be catastrophe.
I am constantly baffled by this line of thinking. Of course these events almost never happen. In fact, I've never even heard of it happening ever!

She is swallowing her chirpy anti-gun sentiment to preserve elected liberals. The problem is this...if she is recommending that liberals leave this issue unopposed because the majority favors it, and that they could lose their next election if they oppose it, then maybe their platform of gun control is WRONG!

#3 ·
But I must agree with my gun-backing friends and correspondents that the sky hasn’t fallen since Missouri made it lawful.
That was verging on magnanimity - not bad I guess for an anti :wink: Maybe too she should see that the sky is still high in the other carry states!!

She writes tho in pretty much total ''politico'' mode - conceding points because of the tide in favor of CCW and so recommending a damage limitation excercise by keeping a veto out of the picture.

She has a hidden agenda despite being anti - but what she says has a ring of truth even if not a pro gun stance.

#4 ·
I cannot conceive of a situation that would allow a toddler to remove a 'gun from a distracted dads pocket' AND fire the weapon. Sure kids can fire weapons but the totality of the scenario is just not plausable. how would a kid get your gun out of your holster or pocket without you knowing? Following this line of thought we had better ban pocket knives, pocket tools and perhpas even key rings as all could threaten the welfare of an unsuspecting child who foolishly removes them from your pocket without you knowing.

#5 ·
All of the Governors Horses and All the Governors Men are warning her they won't be able to put her back together again!

When a liberal writer for a liberal rag tells her "to give it up", she is listening.

She's a politician now, always has been, and if she's one-half as bright as some say she is, she'll "gracefully" let it go........

Good for Kansas!

Kansas members - Now is the time to step up the tempo and let her know how you vote!

#6 ·
Nice post R&G.

This is why these people are dumb, they come up with crap and put it in papers as fact when the reality is it is LIE'S to try and scare the sheep! but the sheep dogs will not have it and let these LIE'S go unchallenged.

The funny thing is she points out how our Missouri political folk failed in there efforts against CCW in Missouri and also lost there jobs doing it at the same time. She also acknowledges that the sky hasn't fallen in Missouri or any other state for the matter who have CCW.

But it scares her she say's. Give me a break! get a clue and get out there and gain some knowledge about firearms and prevent what is the inevitable like being robbed, raped, car jacked or murdered if you don't and accept the consequences if you don't.

People like her and think like her is what makes up crime victims in this country! these people are an easy steak dinner for criminals.

They can believe what they want, just stay out of my way and don't fabricate lie's to try and veto what is right. They have to lie and make up things in order to scare people into thinking like them to get them on there side.

Rant off!

Ti.

#7 ·
...Sooner or later one of those worst-case scenarios we opponents imagined will become reality in a public way. A child will pull a loaded gun from a distracted dad’s pocket. A thief will wrestle a handgun from an intended victim. The result will be catastrophe...

I wonder if she counts what happened at Denny's a catastrophe? As I think about it that's about the most "in denial" remark I've seen in a while. Does she not realize that every catastrophe we've had involved an armed assailant against unarmed victims?

#8 ·
Hey,
a stratigic withdrawl is still a withdrawl. Once the foot is in the door, Work super hard to keep it in there. if their arguments against it were that the sky would fall. In a number of years if they try to overturn the right, they won't have a leg to stand on, because they will be looking at the sun shinning brightly beneath a mile high sky.
:hand10:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.