60 MINUTES - disheartening to watch such misinformation

This is a discussion on 60 MINUTES - disheartening to watch such misinformation within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; On "60 Minutes" last night, there was a piece about the ongoing Mexican drug violence. They discussed all the various types of weaponry that the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60 MINUTES - disheartening to watch such misinformation

60 MINUTES - disheartening to watch such misinformation

On "60 Minutes" last night, there was a piece about the ongoing Mexican drug violence. They discussed all the various types of weaponry that the drug cartels are using. They showed videos of some confiscated weapons on a large table. Those weapons included RPG's, hand grenades and assault rifles.

Reference was made that 90% of these weapons come from the USA (a blatant lie), and that "the Second Amendment was never design for this".

They are insinuating that we have the legal right to go out and buy hand grenades and RPG's!

It is VERY disheartening to watch this type of horribly-biased misinformation being spread around.

All I can say is - support the GOA and NRA and everyone else who is out there fighting for 2A rights. The "system" is definitely trying to erode those rights...............
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

2. Remove Ads

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    They are insinuating that we have the legal right to go out and buy hand grenades and RPG's!
    Are you saying we do not? If so, please qualify that statement.

It is VERY disheartening to watch this type of horribly-biased misinformation being spread around.
    Agreed. It's quite true that the Second Amendment has nothing at all to do with the gang violence in Mexico. It would behoove us, though, to be as precise about what we're arguing as we can be.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Are you saying we do not? If so, please qualify that statement.

-B

Huh?

The "60 Minutes" piece insinuated that 2A gives American citizens a legal right to buy hand grenades and RPG's, when, in fact, as we all know - the average American citizen does NOT have the legal right to buy hand grenades and RPG's.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Huh?

The "60 Minutes" piece insinuated that 2A gives American citizens a legal right to buy hand grenades and RPG's, when, in fact, as we all know - the average American citizen does NOT have the legal right to buy hand grenades and RPG's.

-
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I don't see a ban anywhere in there on certain types of Arms.

Then again, I'm not completely for johnny down the street just being able to get a grenade willy nilly.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

1943 - 2009
    The 60 Minutes piece (I couldn't bear to watch it all) is simply regurgitated garbage from 20-20 and America's Most Wanted and Dateline and CNN and all the other liberal media outlets.

It's a total lie. Of course, we all know that.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Well,. The country is coming around to support "guns".. So this is how they try and influence sheeple's... It is amazing to me that people cannot see this,. The media is only doing what they are told to do.,. Who do you think owns them?? If this thread make you sick, you need to get informed.. Check out Alex Jones "infowars"... You can google is and start learning what is happening in the world..

60 Minutes has done this type of thing before just to fan the flames amongst the masses so to speak.....

I am writing a letter to CBS' 60 minutes to demonstrate to me where exactly I can buy grenades & RPGs, class III automatic weapons and other deadly explosives without any license or oversight....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Why not write to them and very civilly correct their misinformation? If 90% of those weapons came from the USA then they were from the federal government not the citizens. We don't have access to them at the local gun store. A minority of guns that are seized are able to be traced, 90% of those that can be traced are traced back to the USA. The availability of firearms to US citizens is not arming the cartel's armies in Mexico, as they can see from their own show they need more firepower than the average citizen can supply.

We might as well educate them when most likely they themselves do not know the information they are giving is wrong.
    Is this going back more future than we were?

We don't react, we respond.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I don't see a ban anywhere in there on certain types of Arms.

Then again, I'm not completely for johnny down the street just being able to get a grenade willy nilly.
    So, if there is no ban, why don't you just go out and buy a few grenades then? Oh wait, I see what you mean now. . . you only mean that there isn't a ban FOR YOU but there should be a ban for johnny down the street.

I'm sorry, but your statement UTTERLY FAILS the tests of reason and reality.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    So, if there is no ban, why don't you just go out and buy a few grenades then? Oh wait, I see what you mean now. . . you only mean that there isn't a ban FOR YOU but there should be a ban for johnny down the street.

I'm sorry, but your statement UTTERLY FAILS the tests of reason and reality.
    Okay, you caught me on a bad day.
    Mods I am sorry.
    I do not own a hand grenade, nor any class III weapons, nor a license or tax stamp or the other legal measures to get one.
    I simple stated that the Second Amendment did not rule out any weapons, it simple states ARMS.
    I do not agree with most of the Class III hoops you have to jump through other then a background check, because I think if you can afford it you should be able to get it.
    Now does this mean I want Grenades RPG's and other heavy artillery without certain storage and safety measures, explosives have to be stored properly and safely, I don't want Joe, or ME to have a RPG propped by the shaky end table.
    Because a militia is what I think should be the backbone of our defense, and that the militia has been neutered.

I'm done.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I don't think the Mexican drug cartel applies for CPL like we do and waits to get clearance to buy these weapons from a gun shop. I don't think gun shops sell RPGs and automatic weapons! Why doesn't the press investigate exactly where these cartels are getting military grade weapons and ammo from? They can utilize their resources in investigating that instead of trying to impose a ban on legally armed citizens from owning guns.

I can see the cartel guys coming into a gun shop going,"Que pasa, I want some RPGs for my hombres, esse..."
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    I don't think the Mexican drug cartel applies for CPL like we do and waits to get clearance to buy these weapons from a gun shop. I don't think gun shops sell RPGs and automatic weapons! Why doesn't the press investigate exactly where these cartels are getting military grade weapons and ammo from? They can utilize their resources in investigating that instead of trying to impose a ban on legally armed citizens from owning guns.

I can see the cartel guys coming into a gun shop going,"Que pasa, I want some RPGs for my hombres, esse..."
    This would not fit in with what they want. They want guns to be banned and the truth would get in the way of that. I doubt that they have even researched the facts. It would interfere with what they want to believe.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Okay, you caught me on a bad day.
    Mods I am sorry. . .Because a militia is what I think should be the backbone of our defense, and that the militia has been neutered.
    Hey, no worries. Sit down, relax, and have a coke.

I do agree that the militia has been neutered. However, it is not (IMO) the backbone of our defense. Our militia needs to be in a supporting role of our national military. IOW, the militia steps up when the military fails or is defeated. We are the "two" in the "one-two punch."

But that does not mean that everyone can just go out and buy whatever heavy weapons they want even if they CAN afford it. There has to be some sort of accountability and that is the reason for the class III license, tax stamps, etc.

...Reference was made that 90% of these weapons come from the USA ...
    Well, how do you know. I understand that you can't go to the local gun store to get those items (well, not without a lot of paperword). However, it is possible 90% comes from the US. I'm just saying you can't know for sure where the weapons came from.

I don't think it is possible that they came from the civilian market. So all the proposed legislation designed to restrict US gunowners does nothing. Besides what is being purchased is already illegally aquired.

I'm willing to go out on a limb and state maybe 90% do come from the US. Now of that, what % were sold to the Mexican army, Mexican LE, or other governments then aquired by the drug cartels.

The guestion gunowners should be writing in is how will laws preventing US citizens from purchasing firearms change the number of firearms in Mexico because there are already laws in the US and Mexico preventing the sale of those weapons. I can't own many of those items, and I'm a law abiding resident of MI, citizen of the US.
    Last edited by Thanis; June 23rd, 2009 at 01:15 AM.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I can't remember where I read or heard it, but in reality 90% of those weapons do come from the USA. What they barely touch on and whats really the problem down there, is their centuries old corruption.
    The US government over the years has allowed weapons to be sold to Mexican military and police forces. In keeping with tradition, police and soldiers in turn sell the weapons to smugglers, drug runners, etc...
    They even interviewed a top Mexican gov't. official who had numerous subordinates who had been arrested for corruption and he admitted it.
    If 60 minutes had any real reporters, they would investigate how the weapons find their way from Mexican government warehouses into the hands of the cartels. That however would take intelligence, truth and guts. Values sadly lacking on CBS.
    To give their video the benefit of the doubt, I scoured the local gun shops and couldn't find a single M-60 machine gun, hand grenade or RPG. 60 Minutes strikes out again.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links