Lautenberg legislation cloaks gun ban agenda

This is a discussion on Lautenberg legislation cloaks gun ban agenda within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NEWS RELEASE LAUTENBERG LEGISLATION CLOAKS GUN BAN AGENDA AS ANTI-TERROR TOOL BELLEVUE, WA – Legislation introduced today by veteran anti-gun New Jersey Senator Frank Lautenberg ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lautenberg legislation cloaks gun ban agenda

Lautenberg legislation cloaks gun ban agenda

NEWS RELEASE

LAUTENBERG LEGISLATION CLOAKS GUN BAN AGENDA AS ANTI-TERROR TOOL

BELLEVUE, WA – Legislation introduced today by veteran anti-gun New Jersey Senator Frank Lautenberg is designed to expand his gun prohibition agenda under the cloak of national security, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms said.

Sen. Lautenberg’s new “Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act of 2009” would place unprecedented authority in the hands of the Attorney General to deny someone their Second Amendment rights without having been convicted, or even charged, with any crime. Instead, under this legislation, someone whose name is added – for whatever reason – to a terrorist watch list can suddenly find himself or herself prohibited from exercising their constitutionally-protected rights based on nothing more than suspicion.

“Frank Lautenberg has devoted his entire political career to stripping as many citizens as possible of their firearm civil rights,” noted CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb. “His motivation appears to be a Government Accountability Office report that asserts 963 cases of known or suspected terrorists trying to buy firearms over a five-year period from 2004 through February of this year. However, in 90 percent of those cases, the purchases were allowed after the buyer cleared an FBI instant background check.

“Lautenberg calls this the ‘terror loophole’,” he added, “yet neither he, nor anyone else, can adequately explain how someone gets their name on a so-called ‘terrorist watch list,’ and there appears to be no way to get one’s name off such a list once it is there.

“In Lautenberg’s world view,” Gottlieb observed, “any American citizen interested in owning a gun is a potential terrorist. Would he add all of our names to such a watch list, thus stripping us of our Second Amendment rights, without first being charged, prosecuted and convicted of some crime? Probably he would.

“In 2007,” Gottlieb recalled, “Lautenberg lamented that a similar bill went nowhere. He claimed it was blocked because too many of his colleagues ‘knuckled under to the gun lobby.’ Better that Congress protect gun owners’ civil rights than be browbeaten by a knucklehead.”

www.ccrkba.org

2. Remove Ads

I have forwarded this to Gun Owners of American and to the NRA. Additionally I have posted it on other forums.

This is horrible legislation. What happens when "dangerous terrorists" simply equals political enemies? This thing is just begging to be abused. Who knows why someone ends up on a government watch list? It's all very Stalinist.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arverni View Post
    What happens when "dangerous terrorists" simply equals political enemies? This thing is just begging to be abused. Who knows why someone ends up on a government watch list? It's all very Stalinist.
    Dangerous terrorists... political rivals... gun owners... what's the difference?

It starts with something small then they will squeeze their way in further stripping more away until they have taken all the power away from the American People.

MY NAME was on the "terrorist watch list". My mother was detained and searched at the airport because our last name is Syrian. Well let me tell you that it was news to us. None of us have ever even set foot on Syrian soil or even made a phone call or sent an e-mail to Syria. My mothers family comes from Scotland. Who knows where my father comes from but it is his last name she was detained for. My parents and their parents were all born here in the USA! And believe it or not I was almost detained and searched at the airport. The TSA guy asked me if I could step into their little room when I was going through security when he looked at my ticket... then he saw my United States Navy ID and said: "Oh, never mind."

Is this what we have come down to? Restricting firearms sales because of a NAME? We have so many last names here in the USA from all over the planet! Mexican, Spanish, English, Scottish, Irish, Iranian, Israeli, Jamaican, Egyptian, African... I DON'T EVEN KNOW THEM ALL. For over 200 years people have immigrated to our great nation because it is FREE and they wanted to taste that freedom for themselves!

Stopping gun sales to someone because their name is on the "terrorist watch list" is outrageous. How many people in the world have the same last name... it is profiling a name. It is racisim against people who are generally given that name.

I know it's more of a rant for CS... but I had to do it...

RANT OFF
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

VIP Member
    Wasn't there another thread that discussed this?

VIP Member
    I put the title into Thomas' search engine, and I got a House bill that sounds similar--perhaps Lautenberg hasn't yet introduced the Senate version?

http://thomas.loc.gov/

H.R.2159

Actions to date:
    4/29/2009:
    Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.

6/12/2009:
    Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security.

Keep an eye on it....
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

If legislation like this comes up, it's a matter of the chickens coming home to roost once again.

Again, we panicked after 9/11 and gave up any right the government wanted to take, including keeping watch lists with little or no sane criteria for why you were put on them, or taken off. If you disagreed with this policy, you were an ACLU-lovin', hippie, pot-smokin', terrorist sympathizer.

The problem is, once you give government a power, it will not likely give it up, regardless of which party is holding the gavel.

We all rightly point out the ACLU's hypocrisy when it comes to defending the Bill of Rights -- except for the 2nd Amendment. Well, they've been screaming bloody murder about the PATRIOT Act and the terrorist watch list from the beginning.

Have you?

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Omega sez...

Stopping gun sales to someone because their name is on the "terrorist watch list" is outrageous. How many people in the world have the same last name... it is profiling a name. It is racisim against people who are generally given that name.
    Raum Emanuel has been humping this idea for a long time...

Raum Emanuel

And you don't necessarily have to be of Syrian descent...There was a news story not long ago about a blonde-headed 6 year old kid that was flying to Disney or Grandma's house, and it seems he has the same name as a suspected terrorist on the no-fly list. He was not allowed to board the plane, and the dim-witted TSA agent would not persuaded that a 1st grade kid might possibly NOT be a dangerous bomber...

Last I heard, his parents cannot get his name off the list...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

This is the reply I got from GOA

Thank you for the note.

See our link: Firearms Legislation In The 111th Congress HR2159 - this House Bill allows Eric Holder to say who is a terrorist and ban them from Purchasing firearms. Lautenberg's S1317 appears to do the same but I cant say for sure because the text is not yet available to me through Thomas. You can follow this bill at: THOMAS (Library of Congress) by entering the bill number, S1317.

Robert E. Duggar
    Public Liaison
    Gun Owners Of America
    8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102
    Springfield, VA 22151

P.S. Sign up for GOA's Free Email Alerts at:
    take-action

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Under this I might be denied a firearm because I'm on a Secret Service watchlist, and there is no way to get off that one.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Under this I might be denied a firearm because I'm on a Secret Service watchlist, and there is no way to get off that one.
    That would rather be the point.

Please note: many commentators have made the observation that Iranian protestors are being subjugated because, "they don't have the guns..." Do we really think no one is "learning" from that...

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    How do you get the attention of the SS...? Been writing too many letters to the President...?

"Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

No my sister did a Kamikaze dive off a truck at Bill Clinton when he was in office visiting Haiti and she was TDY there. All for some pictures of him. The pictures are hilarious though.
    The first one is Bill almost peeing himself in surprise and fear, the second is him realizing he's still alive, the third is him realizing its a camera, the next is of the nice Secret Service agent reaching for my sister. The final picture is of the ground as my sister is frog marched away.

Sorry but the pics can not see the light of day, I do not want another visit by the SS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links