Your rights are now suspended.

This is a discussion on Your rights are now suspended. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So what would you have done... June 29, 2009 Welcome to Shreveport: Your rights are now suspended. According to Cedric Glover, mayor of Shreveport, Louisiana, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your rights are now suspended.

Angry Your rights are now suspended.

So what would you have done...
    June 29, 2009

Welcome to Shreveport: Your rights are now suspended.

According to Cedric Glover, mayor of Shreveport, Louisiana, his cops "have a power that [. . .] the President of these Unites States does not have": His cops can take away your rights.

And would you like to guess which rights he has in mind?

Just ask Shreveport resident Robert Baillio, who got pulled over for having two pro-gun bumper stickers on the back of his truck -- and had his gun confiscated.

While the officer who pulled him over says Baillio failed to use his turn signal, the only questions he had for Baillio concerned guns: Whether he had a gun, where the gun was, and if he was a member of the NRA. No requests for a driver's licence, proof of insurance, or vehicle registration -- and no discussion of a turn signal.

Accordingly, Baillio told the officer the truth, which led the police officer to search his car without permission and confiscate his gun.

However, not only does Louisiana law allow resident to drive with loaded weapons in their vehicles, but Mr. Baillio possessed a concealed carry license!

What does such behavior demonstrate, other than transparent political profiling -- going so far as to use the infamous Department of Homeland Security report on "Americans of a rightwing persuasion" as a how-to guidebook, no less?

Mr. Baillio made no secret of his political affiliations: An American flag centers a wide flourish of pro-freedom stickers and decals on his back windshield.

In fact, when Baillio asked the officer if everyone he pulls over gets the same treatment, the officer said no and pointed to the back of his truck.

Baillio phoned Mayor Glover to complain about this "suspension of rights" only to find that his city's morbidly obese "commander in chief" was elated at the story: According to Glover, Baillio got "served well, protected well, and even got a consideration that maybe [he] should not have gotten."

Thankfully, Mr. Baillio recorded a good bit of that phone call. You can watch a video with the transcriptions here. I've reproduced a chunk of the call below:

Baillio: (in the context of being asked about the presence of a gun) Well, I answered that question honestly, and he disarmed me.

Glover: Which would be an appropriate and proper action, sir. The fact that you gave the correct answer -- it simply means that you did what it is you were supposed to have done, and that is to give that weapon to the police officer so he could appropriately place it in a place where it would not be a threat to you, to him, or to anyone in the general public.

[. . .]

Glover: My direction to you is that, had you chosen not to properly identify the fact that you had a weapon and directed that officer to where that weapon was located; had you been taken from the vehicle, and the officer, in the interest of his safety, chose to secure you in a safe position, and then looked, found, and determined that you did, in fact, have a weapon...then, sir, you would have faced additional, [inaudible], and more severe criminal sanctions.

Baillio: So what you're saying is: I give up all my rights to keep and bear arms if I'm stopped by the police: Is that correct?

Glover: Sir, you have no right, when you have been pulled over by a police officer for a potential criminal offense [which would be what?! - DB] to stand there with your weapon at your side in your hand [Baillio's weapon was nowhere near his side or his hand, and Glover knew that. -- DB] because of your second amendment rights, sir. That does not mean at that point your second amendment right has been taken away; it means at that particular point in time, it has been suspended.

Will Grigg from ProLibertate, an excellent freedom blog, has this to say:

According to Glover, a police officer may properly disarm any civilian at any time, and the civilian's duty is to surrender his gun -- willingly, readily, cheerfully, without cavil or question.

From Glover's perspective, it is only when firearms are in the hands of people other than the state's uniformed enforcers/oppressors that they constitute a threat, not only to the public and those in charge of exercising official violence but also to the private gun owner himself.

NAGR spoke with Mr. Baillio, and he told us that he's in the process of securing the official procedures and codes for firearm handling and private property confiscation for the Shreveport police department.

So far, the city has been half-heartedly cooperating with him.

"I felt sick," Baillio told NAGR. "My uncles didn't die for this country so I could surrender my rights like a wimp. I felt terrible. I was just thinking of all that my family has done for freedom in this nation -- including dying -- and here they are disarming me at a traffic stop."

What to do?

Read Luke's commentary here, and participate in the discussion by leaving a comment.
    Send this around. This kind of behavior cannot go unchecked.
    Call Mayor Glover's office to complain: (318) 673-5050.

I'll leave you with one last consideration. As a licensed firearms instructor in charge of a hundred different students every month, I'm often asked if citizens should voluntarily inform police officers of the presence of a firearm during a routine traffic stop.

While different states have different laws, my answer for Colorado citizens is an emphatic "No": Colorado law doesn't require you to volunteer that kind of information, and this case in Louisiana proves why, if at all possible, you should never invite trouble by doing so.

In liberty,

Dudley Brown
    Executive Director
    National Association for Gun Rights
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I'm at a loss for words. Has he contacted his lawyer / NRA reps?
    For God, Family and Country!

jfl
    Tell me it is not true !!!
    However, with a good lawyer, he might get interesting things going !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Please post the officer's name here.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    This could get interesting. Please post as much as you can.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I hope the NRA's long term reply would include paperwork that involves using a mild lubricant for delivery.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    PLEASE!!!

There is one and only one way to fix this..

Lets get this guy to report his story to Sean Hannity and Rush Limb.

If this made national talk radio I guarantee that the Mayor of Shreveport would hate the fact he was born.

I think we need to involve our conservative voices out there.

OOOH Better yet! Let Ann Coulter know about it haha
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

There is probably a clause in LA law that says an admission of a gun possession validates an unauthorized search and seizure.

Its not illegal to ask questions unrelated to the stop. I dont know LA law but in MO, we do not have to answer questions until we are told why we were pulled over.

It's a shame this happened but I'm not sure it was illegal. Unfortunately being a rude dumbarse isnt isnt punishable - then again I'm not an attorney yet..
    Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows.
    - David T. Wolf

"Just ask Shreveport resident Robert Baillio, who got pulled over for having two pro-gun bumper stickers on the back of his truck -- and had his gun confiscated.

While the officer who pulled him over says Baillio failed to use his turn signal, the only questions he had for Baillio concerned guns: Whether he had a gun, where the gun was, and if he was a member of the NRA. No requests for a driver's licence, proof of insurance, or vehicle registration -- and no discussion of a turn signal."

If the story is true it looks like he failed to signal when turning and was stopped for that. To say he was stopped for any other reason would be hard to prove.

Michael

Ok,.. I'm lost,.. Did his weapon's get confiscated,.. Or just taken for the stop? I know an officer can take your weapon while being stopped until you are ready to go, but they don't take them for good??

While the officer who pulled him over says Baillio failed to use his turn signal ...

Glover: Sir, you have no right, when you have been pulled over by a police officer for a potential criminal offense ...
    Crime? Crime?? Lack of signaling, a crime.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    The way this was written I feel we are only getting part of the story. Something is missing here. Was the gun returned after the traffic stop? What was Mr. Baillio's history with the Shreveport police?

I hate jumping to conclusions from only one side of a story - even if it is the side I usually agree with. JMO
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

My Bossier: Shreveport Mayor says that when the police stop you, 'your rights are suspended'

The local 'blog' of the storywith links to an audio of the phoncon w/ the Mayor.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    I don't live there, but I know Shreveport pretty well. Here is a link about all this on an open-carry (Louisiana) forum, it contains some additional information about this same incident.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum26/27301.html
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Sumthin's not right in Shreveport!

Having said that, although we prob don't like to admit it, when you get right down to it, the police can, and do suspend your rights on occassion. Everytime they detain someone, take them into custody, and yes, disarm them in the course of their duty, some right is at least temporarily suspended.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links