ABC Story: More Women Carry

This is a discussion on ABC Story: More Women Carry within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ABC News; March 19, 2006 More women, from soccer moms to professionals like the ones at the Blue Ridge Arsenal gun range in Chantilly, Va., ...

Thread: ABC Story: More Women Carry

ABC News; March 19, 2006

More women, from soccer moms to professionals like the ones at the Blue Ridge Arsenal gun range in Chantilly, Va., are packing heat for sport, self-empowerment and protection.

"I am a short, chubby housewife," said Jaque Blundell of Arlington, Va. "I'm not as scared of the bad guys, because the guns are my great equalizer."

The gun industry is catering to women with everything from more girly guns and apparel to all-female hunting trips and free ladies nights at the range. It's clear the feminine touch is adding up to big business.

"A quarter to a third of all our customers here are women shooters," said Keith Weaver, who works at the Blue Ridge Arsenal.

Five years ago, the National Rifle Association offered just 13 firearms training classes for women. Today, there are more than 200 nationwide.

"If you look at statistics, there are more crimes of passion committed by men than there are women," said Sandra Froman, president of the NRA. "But I say that everyone has their emotions, and one of the things you learn when you take firearms classes is you learn to control your emotions."

Self Defense Becomes A Passion

Froman is the second female NRA president in 130 years. She said that owning guns usually begins as a self-defense tactic for many women and turns into a love for the sport.

We need more women involved in shooting sports - and it looks like its starting to happen! Great news!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Assistant Administrator
    Great news indeed

I am more delighted when teaching courses at having new ladies coming in than guys - just seems so logical that they should seek a means of self defence.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    An ex-GF of mine told me years ago that a woman only needed two things in life: a driver's license (so she doesn't have to depend on any man to take her any place) and a gun (so she doesn't have to depend on any man to protect her).
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Sounds like a good thing, Could it be that the snowball is starting to grow, I'm no political expert, but having more and more women can only help the snowball grow fatter and roll faster.

Wooooo Hooooo, out of the way, coming through.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Moderator
    I saw a news blurb promo about that and I didn't catch when they were going to air the segment. I got the impression it had a positive message about guns.

Shoot! I wish I had seen it!

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    In today's paper, the classifieds lists a female only deer hunt, with female guides. This can only be a good thing for our sport. The more people we introduce to shooting, the better in my book!
    Curry

Sponsored Links