Defensive Carry banner

New Arizona stuff passes

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  MinisterMalice 
#1 ·
#2 ·
A positive move!! :hand10:

I spent a week in Phoenix last month and found it ludicous that I had to disarm before going into a (licensed) restaurant to have lunch or dinner, even if I didn't have a drink. :hand1:

#4 ·
Way to go AZ.:yup:

The article...

Arizona approves bill allowing guns in bars
Critics of the measure say guns and alcohol are dangerous combination

updated 11:43 a.m. ET, Wed., July 1, 2009
PHOENIX - The Arizona Senate has given final approval to a bill that would allow people with concealed weapons permits to carry a gun into a business that serves alcohol.

The 19-8 vote completes legislative action on the bill and sends it to Republican Gov. Jan Brewer. She has not said whether she will sign it, but she has long been a supporter of gun rights.

The measure has pitted powerful groups representing gun and bar owners against each other, sparking a debate about whether guns and alcohol can coexist without bloodshed.

Story continues below ↓
advertisement | your ad here

Critics of the measure say guns and alcohol are a dangerous combination.

"We don't let people drink and drive, why should we let them drink and carry guns?" said Sen. Paula Aboud, D-Tucson, who voted against the bill.

Supporters say they should be able to protect themselves and their families even if they happen to be inside a business serving alcohol.

"It's very important that criminals are now afraid rather than law abiding citizens," said Sen. Jack Harper, R-Surprise, the bill's sponsor.

The measure would ban drinking while packing and allow restaurants to deny entry to gun-toting citizens by posting a sign next to their liquor license.

The bill initially required that a bar serving alcohol also serve food, but that provision was removed at the request of bar owners who worried about uncertainty over which bars have kitchens.

Forty other states have approved similar measures, according to the National Rifle Association.

Former Gov. Janet Napolitano, a Democrat, vetoed a similar bill earlier this decade that would not have required people to have concealed weapons permits in order to carry guns in bars.

More than 127,000 Arizonans have concealed weapons permits, which require a gun safety course and background check, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

#14 ·
Yep;.... Congrats to you,.. you can always take her to Cracker barrel or I-hop,.. I'm sure she would love you for keeping her safe,... :aargh4:

Hopefully sooner then the 14th she will get that signed and gain a couple rights back that shouldn't have been let go,..

#16 ·
It passed. All three (CCW in places that serve alcohol, change to brandishing, parking lot storage) are on Brewer's desk waiting to be signed. They were all transmitted to her on July 1st. Not counting Sundays she has 10 days to sign them. So on Monday the 13th they will become law regardless.

She spoke at the NRA convention here a few weeks ago, so it's not like she will veto any of them. I am just frustrated that she has sat on them. I know that the budget takes priority, but take a few minutes and put pen to paper already!

#17 ·
I agree with you they are as good as gold now, but lets not count our chickens before they hatch. she could decide to veto them at the last second sunday night for all we know. maybe she wont like the buy "03ramit1 a new gun" clause that was put in the bill. (its not there nor am i in goverment) but there could be 100 stupid reasons it does not get passed like that. so lets wait for monday.....

#19 ·
The change basically allows for the removal of a firearm from a holster without it qualifying as brandishing. The basics of the change allows someone who feels they are in imminent but not IMMEDIATE danger to unholster a firearm legally as long as they do not intimidate or "show it off." It lets a person take the gun out of the holster and hold it at their side before the BG makes a move.

#20 ·
I have been wondering about the bill intended to "clarify" what constitutes brandishing. I had a short discussion with a defensive handgun trainer (CCW and other defensive pistol classes) this weekend and he thinks it's unwise. I just don't know enough about it to come to an informed decision. (However, this imminent/immedate danger distinction may be hard to prove in court).

#23 ·
Brewer signed them all last night. Boy, nothing like waiting for the last minute! Hold on though, everyone, because they go into effect September 30th. So if you take your firearm into Chili's tonight it will still get you in trouble. :(

Hallelujah for the common sense changes though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.