Breaking News: Kansas Governor Vetoed CC Bill

This is a discussion on Breaking News: Kansas Governor Vetoed CC Bill within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From KC Star Online: Posted on Tue, Mar. 21, 2006 Sebelius vetoes concealed carry legislation CARL MANNING Associated Press TOPEKA, Kan. - Citing opposition from ...

Thread: Breaking News: Kansas Governor Vetoed CC Bill

Exclamation Breaking News: Kansas Governor Vetoed CC Bill

From KC Star Online:

Posted on Tue, Mar. 21, 2006
    Sebelius vetoes concealed carry legislation
    CARL MANNING
    Associated Press

TOPEKA, Kan. - Citing opposition from law enforcement and business leaders, Gov. Kathleen Sebelius vetoed a bill Tuesday to permit qualified Kansans to carry concealed guns.

Sebelius vetoed a similar bill in 2004, and has said repeatedly that she didn't believe the measure would make Kansas safer. She said in her veto message that Kansas' crime rate is lower than rates in states with concealed carry.

If Sebelius' veto stands, Kansas would remain one of four states that don't allow any residents to carry hidden guns.

"While every law-abiding Kansan has a right to keep and bear arms, hidden weapons make it harder for law enforcement to do its job, and they make Kansas' workplaces less safe," Sebelius wrote in her veto message. "Legislators know concealed weapons are a safety threat, which is why they ban them in their own workplace - the Capitol."

Supporters need two-thirds majorities in both chambers to override a veto - 27 of 40 votes in the Senate and 84 of 125 votes in the House. The votes to approve the final version of the bill were 90-33 in the House and 30-10 in the Senate.

The legislature has enough votes to override the veto IF they hold their original positions! Let the arm-twisting, spending promises and cigar smoking begin. This should be interesting!

Kansas residents: You need to put on the press immediately!

2. Remove Ads

i'll keep my mouth shut about her.
    enough said.

I hope the Kansas legislature votes to override her veto. Our govenor
    here in Wisconsin put the screws to some of our legislators and they backed down and changed their votes causing a failure to override. Keep pushing and eventually it will pass. Good luck to all of you. ---Bob
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Assistant Administrator
    I too must hold my tongue - or have to ban myself!

STILL - she does not see sense and bows down to pressure and rhetoric.

and has said repeatedly that she didn't believe the measure would make Kansas safer. She said in her veto message that Kansas' crime rate is lower than rates in states with concealed carry. residents to carry hidden guns.
    'Didn't believe' - she's not even given it a chance. It's nothing to do with low crime rates - it's down to letting law abiding folks have a means of protection. To quote a phrase from the anti's but with different spin - ''if it saves just one (GG's) life it will have succeeded''.

"hidden weapons make it harder for law enforcement to do its job, and they make Kansas' workplaces less safe," Sebelius wrote in her veto message.
    Harder - HARDER - like how???! These are law abiding folks we are talking about not damn felons - and what about looking at the other 38 states - have they gone mad with gunfire? Sheesh (Blood pressure rising!)

"Legislators know concealed weapons are a safety threat, which is why they ban them in their own workplace - the Capitol."
    'Safety threat' - oh geez, pulleezzz - again, how? Only as perceived by her pathetic judgement. The badguys are the safety threat - not the good guys.

< mutter, mutter, >
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    "Legislators know concealed weapons are a safety threat, which is why they ban them in their own workplace - the Capitol."

Actually the reason the legislators ban concealed weapons in the capitol is to prevent their execution of the chief executive - the Governor.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Pray for an override
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Pray for an override...

and remember this veto on election day.

Matt

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    I hope they override her veto, one of only four states without CCW should say something to people, guess not the governor.
    Curry

I thought she'd sign it. She is such a political hack, I truly though she'd act like a REAL politician. Where are the politicians when ya need 'em? Go figure. She hasn't a clue.

Incidentially, I was born and raised there, and lived in Kansas for 35 years or so, so I'm not just throwing stones at those Jayhawks. I follow the state with interest.

Assistant Administrator
    Richard - just adding this bit from that second post you made on the matter -

On Tuesday, March 21, Governor Sebelius for the second time vetoed Right to Carry in Kansas. SB 418 will be heard today around 4:00 p.m. in the Senate for a veto override vote.

It is critical that Kansans call their State Senator immediately and ask him or her to vote in favor of the veto override for SB 418.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

kansas gun owners you need to get the calls and emails flying to your legislators to override her vito. Tie up their phone lines and emails until they cry uncle. Good luck!
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Make a LIST of any who flips from their original vote in favor of the bill and does not vote to over-ride the veto.

USE that list during upcoming elections.

When you cast your votes, make sure they know why.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Links