AGs File Amicus Curiae Brief Seeking Incorporation--NRA (Merged)

This is a discussion on AGs File Amicus Curiae Brief Seeking Incorporation--NRA (Merged) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SelfDefense Obviously, many people do not understand the issues. ... incorporation nonsense ... Again, the belittling phrasing on the issue. One would ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AGs File Amicus Curiae Brief Seeking Incorporation--NRA (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Obviously, many people do not understand the issues.

... incorporation nonsense ...
    Again, the belittling phrasing on the issue. One would think it would get tiresome. If you would, please stop doing that.

It's a matter of a difference of opinion. Nothing more.

The idea is only nonsense to folks who disagree as to whether the core, foundation principles upon which this collection of states stands united apply to all citizens. This does not mean all things federal would apply to the people. It would simply mean that the core principles would be broadly applicable to everyone, and that all would be protected from governmental intrusion and whim in regard to those core principles.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

I am ecstatic that Ca's AG (The former Governor Moonbeam; aka: Jerry Brown) is on board with the other AG's on this.

Perhaps it is only because he wants to remain politically viable but the fact of the matter is that his separate Amicus brief is very clear that he feels that incorporation is required because Ca doesn't have a State Constitutional RKBA for self defense in the home.

Now the phantom tin foil beanie that follows my thinking sez: Hey, what's this "in the home biz?" Is it a limiter on my RKBA? I don't know but I'll be watching that's for sure.

Self Defense - once again I find myself disagreeing with your interpretation of the 14th. I have been surprised recently in finding myself in agreement with you in a couple of other threads (jury nullification for ex) but on this issue we continue to disagree.

Perhaps it is because your home is freer than mine and your citizens don't need the additional protections against unscrupulous government AND other members of the public. Unfortunately, without the 14th California citizens would become serfs of the State. And, there is NOTHING short of armed rebellion which would change this once it happens. Our history in becoming a separate State from Mexico proves this.

Further, most of the southern states still desperately need the 14th and even with its protections discrimination in political representation, public services, housing, employment, and education still regularly occurs.

You may not like the 14th, but your argument is essentially the same as believing that cake is as good as bread when there is no flour to bake with. Without the protections in the 14th amendment, equality between men doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Well now is the time to do this instead of waiting for additional changes in the make up of SCOTUS.
    Yep, let's hope they get it done before the SCOTUS goes liberal...like adding a new "wise Latina" justice...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

One more reason to love Texas.

A search didn't turn up anything on this yet. If I missed it please merge the threads mods.

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott Spearheads Effort

On Amicus Brief Supporting Second Amendment Incorporation
    Please Thank Attorney General Greg Abbott!

A recent decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit rejected two Second Amendment challenges to local handgun bans. This week, two-thirds of the nation’s attorneys general signed onto and filed an amicus brief, or "friend of the court" brief, asking the U.S. Supreme Court to review the case of NRA v. Chicago and address conflicting appellate court rulings on whether the Second Amendment applies to state and local governments through the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The issue of "incorporation", or application of the Second Amendment to the states, was not addressed in the Heller case.
    This bi-partisan group of 33 attorneys general, along with the Attorney General of California in a separate filing, supports NRA’s position that the Second Amendment protects a fundamental individual right to keep and bear arms and that it should be incorporated to the states via the Fourteenth Amendment. Your Attorney General, Greg Abbott, served as the lead attorney on this brief, authoring it and recruiting two-thirds of his colleagues across the country to sign on as well. Please email General Abbott at greg.abbott@oag.state.tx.us and thank him for his leadership role in the fight to protect our Second Amendment rights!

The State Attorneys General Amicus Brief can be found by clicking here.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Way to go Greg Abbot! He will definitely get my vote again....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

What a suprise, NY's attorney General wasnt involved.

I did send an email to Mr. Abbott, thanking him for his support.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

What a surprise. My state of NJ is not on the list of supporters.

I wonder if the same AG's that claim to support this have considered the implications on their state laws? I say claim because this is an easy bandwagon to jump on as it has no teeth.

Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links