AGs File Amicus Curiae Brief Seeking Incorporation--NRA (Merged)

This is a discussion on AGs File Amicus Curiae Brief Seeking Incorporation--NRA (Merged) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/lit...micusFinal.pdf Two-thirds of State Attorneys General File Amicus Brief Supporting Second Amendment Incorporation Tuesday, July 07, 2009 Fairfax, Va. – Two-thirds of the nation’s attorneys ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AGs File Amicus Curiae Brief Seeking Incorporation--NRA (Merged)

VIP Member

Exclamation AGs File Amicus Curiae Brief Seeking Incorporation--NRA (Merged)

http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/lit...micusFinal.pdf

Two-thirds of State Attorneys General File Amicus Brief Supporting Second Amendment Incorporation

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Fairfax, Va. – Two-thirds of the nation’s attorneys general have filed an amicus brief asking the U.S. Supreme Court to grant certiorari in the case of NRA v. Chicago and hold that the Second Amendment applies to state and local governments through the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. This bi-partisan group of 33 attorneys general, along with the Attorney General of California in a separate filing, agrees with the NRA’s position that the Second Amendment protects a fundamental individual right to keep and bear arms in the home for self-defense, disagreeing with the decision recently issued by a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.

See remainder of the story here:
    NRA-ILA :: Two-thirds of State Attorneys General File Amicus Brief Supporting Second Amendment Incorporation

California's AG is filing a separate brief also supporting incorporation:
    http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/lit...nal_Amicus.pdf

Unfortunately, Tennessee's AG is not one of the signatories.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

2. Remove Ads

I think I can hear Obama crying all the way down here. Wouldn't this screw up their plans.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I think I can hear Obama crying all the way down here. Wouldn't this screw up their plans.
    Well now is the time to do this instead of waiting for additional changes in the make up of SCOTUS.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good for them, I think they are all thinking ahead to their future elections....

I know I spoke to a state district judge (Steve Hilbig, TX) this past weekend who also happens to live across the street from my Mom & Dad, and he told me that there was a movement taking place amongst the states to clarify all of these confusing laws and statutes regarding firearms, especially where citizens rights to self defense are concerned. He also alluded to the fact that many at the state level firmly believe that our federal government has become too large for its own good and that many of his colleagues feel that civil unrest is only a couple of years down the road for us....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I agree now is the time. 2/3 hmmm sounds like once again the majority is seeking to confirm what the minority is against.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Well now is the time to do this instead of waiting for additional changes in the make up of SCOTUS.
    You've hit the nail on the head my firnd.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    He also alluded to the fact that many at the state level firmly believe that our federal government has become too large for its own good...
    So the solution is to give the Federal government more power. Obviously, many people do not understand the issues.

Instead of this incorporation nonsense we, as citizens of states, should repeal the Fourteenth Amendment so there will be none of the idiocy and debunked nonsense that the Fourteenth has anything to do with the first eight Amendments.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Maybe our union will not collapse after all ....yet...

As long as our nation retains guns in the individuals ownership certain elements will not happen to bring our country to it's knees. Once gun ownership is generally abolished is when the end is nigh.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member

Repealing the 14th

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    So the solution is to give the Federal government more power. Obviously, many people do not understand the issues.

Instead of this incorporation nonsense we, as citizens of states, should repeal the Fourteenth Amendment so there will be none of the idiocy and debunked nonsense that the Fourteenth has anything to do with the first eight Amendments.
    I think that repealing the 14th is the only way to achieve the goals which you have. But right now, the trend is toward "ratifying" the 14th through expansion of its application.

I share the opposition of many here to the SC nomination being considered (can't spell her name) primarily because of the one ruling against incorporation of 2A.

So, we find ourselves on the same side in a way, but for extremely different reasons.

In any event, repealing the 14th would do such utter violence to our present jurisprudence that it would be as impractical as attempting to do away with our constitution. It is, an essential addition to an otherwise rather incomplete document. Incorporation of 2A is long overdue.

But then, we have argued this ad nauseum elsewhere in DC.

Agree 100% Hopyard!!!!
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think that repealing the 14th is the only way to achieve the goals which you have. But right now, the trend is toward "ratifying" the 14th through expansion of its application.
    Not really. Many people, including most Supreme Court justices since its ratification agree with my view. (Or should I say I agree with their view.)

The slave Amendments, 13-15, serve no useful purpose. And yes, the Fourteenth was a slave Amendment, nothing more.

In any event, repealing the 14th would do such utter violence to our present jurisprudence that it would be as impractical as attempting to do away with our constitution.
    Repealing the Fourteenth would only provide for the state sovereignty guaranteed by the Tenth Amendment.

It is, an essential addition to an otherwise rather incomplete document.
    Are you saying, as Obama did, that the Constitution is a flawed document? Or only that the Founders did a poor job at defining our the concept of sovereign states loosely joined by a limited Federal government?

Incorporation of 2A is long overdue.
    The view of a statist (and libertarians, too!)

But then, we have argued this ad nauseum elsewhere in DC.
    But we always have new readers!

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Not really. Many people, including most Supreme Court justices since its ratification agree with my view. (Or should I say I agree with their view.)

The slave Amendments, 13-15, serve no useful purpose. And yes, the Fourteenth was a slave Amendment, nothing more.

Repealing the Fourteenth would only provide for the state sovereignty guaranteed by the Tenth Amendment.

Are you saying, as Obama did, that the Constitution is a flawed document? Or only that the Founders did a poor job at defining our the concept of sovereign states loosely joined by a limited Federal government?

The view of a statist (and libertarians, too!)

But we always have new readers!
    Here is the birth of another thread hijacking.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I was thinking most could follow that that the made up nonsense called 'incorporation' is directly related to the Fourteenth Amendment.

Perhaps I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I have two words for you: User CP

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

jfl
    Florida AG is on board !!!

Florida Attorney General Signs Amicus Brief Supporting Second Amendment Incorporation
    Please Thank Attorney General Bill McCollum!

Two-thirds of the nation’s attorneys general have filed an amicus brief asking the U.S. Supreme Court to grant certiorari in the case of NRA v. Chicago and hold that the Second Amendment applies to state and local governments through the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. This bi-partisan group of 33 attorneys general, along with the Attorney General of California in a separate filing, agrees with the NRA’s position that the Second Amendment protects a fundamental individual right to keep and bear arms, disagreeing with the decision recently issued by a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.

Attorney General McCollum was one of the many who agrees that the Second Amendment is a fundamental individual right and signed the amicus brief. Please call Attorney General McCollum at (850) 414-3300 and thank him for standing up in support of the Second Amendment. You may also e-mail him by clicking here.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links