HR 45

This is a discussion on HR 45 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I received this from my Congressman, Denny Rehberg, via Facebook. We need to stay on top of this and make certain it doesn't pass. Whether ...

Thread: HR 45

HR 45

I received this from my Congressman, Denny Rehberg, via Facebook. We need to stay on top of this and make certain it doesn't pass.

Whether it’s hunting or protecting our families and property, the right to keep and bear arms plays an important role in the lives of many Montanans. It’s a right worth protecting, and I’ll make sure law-abiding citizens aren’t prohibited from buying, possessing and using firearms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Americans are concerned about H.R. 45, the “Blair Holt’s Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009,” sponsored by Representative Bobby Rush. This bill contains sweeping gun control measures such as universal background checks, a federal firearm licensing requirement and the creation of a firearms tracking system.

In addition to the new licensing regulations, this legislation also requires gun owners to inform law enforcement within 72 hours if their gun is lost or stolen. Failure to report a lost or stolen gun will result in criminal charges against the gun owner. Also, if a child uses the owner’s gun to harm themself or someone else, the gun owner will be held legally responsible.

This bill would also prevent gun owners from selling or transferring a firearm without involving a licensed dealer. Gun owners would no longer to be able to sell firearms at gun shows, garage sales or estate sales. Gun owners would not be able to pass down a firearm to a relative, or even their spouse, without involving a licensed dealer.

But most disturbing, H.R. 45 authorizes the federal government to create a massive database containing sales records for every gun sold in America. If this bill is passed, the federal government would know the make, model, and serial number of every gun you own. This information should stay in the hands of firearms dealers and should only be made available to the government if it is requested by law enforcement officials enforcing a judge’s warrant.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    If Denny is just now getting around to noticing this bill, he's a little bit behind the curve...

I thought he was on top of things better than that!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...09-merged.html

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

JD
    Administrator
    As CC noted this topic is running at the above mentioned thread.

Links